Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Health * Do I have a geographical Tongue? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Geographical TongueKrissiE04-27-06  04:19 pm
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jg
Username: justme23

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:19 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope someone can help me... for as long as I can remember, my tongue has been big and ugly! The sides are rough and mis-shapen(It reminds me of waves)and the top of my tongue is filled with cracks and cuts. They look disgusting! Is this geographical tongue? I have looked every where for info. and can't find anything that describes my tongue... please help!

jonzio
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 03:18 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like it dewd, I have the same thing and I have also been told it is a scrotal tongue, personally I go with the name geographical or "My ribbed for her pleasure tongue" ;-)

greatpyramids
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:47 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Same here, I always figured my tongue was just too big for my mouth, so it took the shape of my teeth, but the cracks don't make any sense to me... when I was a baby, my dentist told my mother that I had a geographical tongue, but it doesn't seem to fit with the descriptions that I've read, so I'm just as lost as you are...

Kay
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 05:13 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's not Geographical Tongue. G T is smooth red patches that change and look like maps of the world. Go see an Ayurvedic Doctor, Western Medicine has no known cause and no cure for G.T anyway. Ayurvedic doctors use the tongue to diagnose the health of your body. They will find the cause as to why your tongue looks like this, and you will have the cure. Promise!

sadlilting
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 03:08 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Same here. i hate it so much. there's not cure so we have 2 live w/ r ugly tongues. :-(

Anon
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 01:05 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I developed geographical tongue when I started highschool at age 11. I'm 16 now and had just about had a year free of it. I started to take Selenium supplements and it cleared up for a while. Just something you guys might like to try :-)

Colleen
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 05:01 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Geographical Tongue is an inflammatory disorder on the suface of the tongue and is characterized by numerous and continually changing areas of loss and regrowth of your filiform papillae. The areas are red patches surrounded by alight white border. Usually the area is asymptomatic (symptom free) but there can be times when it is sore but that is no cause for alarm. There are also remission periods when there are no lesions at all. It is a very normal condition and i have seen many people who have it. In fact i am one of those people. Geographical tongue can be hereditary but it is most likely brought on by stress. As far as the tongue being so big it takes the shape of the teeth-well that is not true. People don't realize it but at night and even during the day people clench or grind their teeth and they do this because of stress (trust me there is alot to be stressed about today) so do to this habit many people get indents on the sides of their tongue from the teeth always being pressed against the tongue. This is normal as well but the grinding and clenching would need to be stopped because eventually you will grind your teeth away. A night gaurd would alleviate this problem.

Alyssia
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 10:28 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know if I have it either, I'm confused too. My tongue had a lot of cuts that are deep, I don't know why??? there some white lines too and 1 or 2 of my tastebuds are white???

nu
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 03:54 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A geograhical tongue is normal, but a tongue with grooves, deep ridges or teeth marks is often a sign of nutritional defiency and should be checked out.

Carla Marie
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:42 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a geographical tongue, but the cracks and rough edges are not from that.Along with my geographical tongue, I have what is called a fissured tongue or a lingua plicata, which is where the cracks come from. Both "diseases", as some call them, are completely harmless. I was born with them both and have had no problems with them. Every once in a while depending on my diet or if I'm sick...I tend to get a burning sensation or pain on my tongue. Rinse with Listerine and brush the tongue.It will eventually go away.

Geographical Tongue
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 02:28 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was informed by my dentist that it my also may be an indication of "Reiter's Syndrome". You may want to look if you have symtoms such as arthritis and conjunctivitis.

concerned
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 10:51 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello, i have an odd, slightly embarrassing question to ask... i have a slight case of geographical tongue, no pain, just a red patch which appeared a few weeks ago, and i am pretty sure it would be stress related, but now my fiance (& i) are concerned whether or not i should continue performing oral sex with her, in case it could cause problems with her ... genital area...???? could anyone hep me with that??? thanks...

EDITH
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 09:36 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I HAVE HAD A GEOGRAPHICAL TONGUE FOR 10 YEARS NOW AND IT IS GETTING WORSE. I AM ASHAMED TO LAUGH OUT LOUD OR OPEN MY MOUTH WIDE IN FRONT OF ANYONE BECUASE I DON'T WANT ANYONE TO SEE IT. I HAVE HAD LOTS OF BLOOD WORK AND EVEN HAD IT TREATED FOR YEAST AND IT IS STILL THERE. I WAS TOLD BY BOTH DR'S AND DENTIST THAT THIS IS OK. BUT WHAT IS THE REAL TRUTH THAT THIS JUST APPEARED 10 YEARS AGO?

kely
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 11:25 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am curious...have heard geographical tongue is b2 difficiency...i also have chronic migraines. and have also heard b2 can help there as well...anyone else have same combination of migraines and geo tongue?

rlain lain
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 09:24 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I have teeth marks on my tongue it's not a big tongue but I also get alot of mucous build up at the back...Im curious what your testing of yeast was only I thinks I have a yeasty taste any idea's anyone?????

not gonna say
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah, I have a geographical tongue. My dentist told my mom that when I was young. It's all wierd and it changes shades and lines appear and disappear. It's really wierd. It's supposed to be really rare, but my dad has one too. Maybe it runs in the family? I've also looked to find out about geographical tongues, but its wierd its on the internet,although everything is on the internet.

anonymous helper
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dear concerned, I dont think a geographical tongue is contagious? I dont even think its something that just appears. I heard you either have it when your born or you dont. There is nothing dangerous about a G.T Its just that your tongue will change colors or somedays look cut up. It's actually quite cool. If you have it your supposedly the 1 out of 1 million. Thats how many people get it , I think?

angietoo
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 08:53 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I was born with a geographical tongue. My grandmother has one too. I have had severe morning sickness which has been rumoured to be vitamin b deficiency related??? I also have hypothyroidism. I too hate my tongue and my husband doesn't like kissing me as it looks so feral. Can it be cured?

laurajurgs
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 04:21 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I have had a geographical tongue since I was a kid. My mother in law is a natural cures consultant and she has been working with me on a few things. I am anemic and have had bad D, B, and Protein deficiencies. I also have been taking E with selenium and 2000mg of vitamin C. Since I have been on a plan I havenít had it for a long time. (Year+) I stopped taking iron and protein a while ago, and have cut back on the B's, and now my nursing baby has a geographical tongue. Something to think about for the people with deep cracks; I had that once when I was pregnant, nursing a baby, and very stressed out. The doctor said that it was a canker sore on my tongue. ???? Stress depletes Bís big time. While you are pregnant and /or nursing you need more iron and protein.

Diane Weaver
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My 6 year old son developed GT 2 or 3 years ago and his pediatrician just blew it off as nothing. I found an ebook on the internet called Healthy Tongue Secrets, by Tim McMahon, this morning suggesting there is a cure. Does anyone have any experience with this book. If so, please let me know. Thanks

anyideas
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 04:30 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have had geographical tongue for as long as i can remember i am 16 years of age. My tounge is white and i have round circles which are red, when i use tooth paste my tounge becomes sore and stings. All my friends talk about me behind my back about this as i have been told, it makes me feel low and like i dont quite fit in. the doctors have told me there is no cure for this but its really getting me down now! can anyone help me?

desperate mother
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 02:49 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My 18 month old son was diagnosed with geographical tongue almost a year ago. The doctor says there's nothing I can do for him, and that it will eventually go away. It's so hard to just sit around and do nothing while my baby some times doesn't even want to eat anything because of the pain it causes him. I also just saw the web site for the "Healthy Tongue Secrets" book and I would like to know if anyone out there knows of any miracles, so that my son doesn't grow up ashamed of something that he can't change.

Gail Wilkinson
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 03:11 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My two year old son has G.T. and his doctor's said that it was normal, unpainful, and should disappear after a few months. It's been almost 6 months and he still has it. I have heard it's from a vitamin deficiency, but how do you know what vitamins you need? Healthy Tongue secrets is a joke. If they really wanted to help people that have a problem then they wouldn't charge you for some stupid book. They'd just tell you the cure! Sounds like a rip-off to me :-( Hopefully someone can help me because my son is always holding his tongue or putting his hands in his mouth even though this G.T. is "harmless and non-painful".

Mommy Wilson
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 01:42 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was told by my son's doctor that he has a geographical tongue and that it is very rare to see it in healthy children, but that it is not harmful. My son is two and a half and is almost 40 pounds and 3 feet tall. He has always been healthy. He just started to develop G.T. maybe right around his second birthday.

CRITTER DAVE
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MY TONGUE IS VERY WIERD. I HAVE CUTS LONG WAY.I ONLY HAVE THE SOUR TASTE BUD. WHEN I WAS TWO MY DOCTOR SAID THAT MY TONGUE WAS TOO BIG AND THAT IT NEEDED TO BE CUT. MY MOTHER SAID NO. THANK THE LORD . I DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT IS CALLED BUT I SURE WOULD LIKE TO TASTE SOMETHING SWEET.

Natasha
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 03:25 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have GT aswell and have had it for as long as I can remember. Mine is genetic as my grandfather has passed it onto me. It only inflames and gets sore when I eat certain foods such as acidic, sour foods like pineapple, kiwi fruit, sour lollies, some softdrinks (especially fanta!), even crustacians like prawns and crab affect me on occassion. I find that as i'm getting older (now 20), the foods that used to set it off don't affect me at all or as much. For all those who are scared or worried about it, it's not contagious. I don't believe there is a cure, but possibly in the future, prevention of GT by means of genetic technology may be the answer. For now, I think recognition of the foods or whatever it is that causes the symptoms should be taken into account to prevent it from occurring.

tinamhrain
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 09:35 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got GT about 3 or four months ago. Treated it as thrush and it didn't go away so I'm looking into other options. I've also noticed that Tea and salt aggravate it (specifically MacDonald's French Fries, holy cow does it just open up holes in my tongue!)

One thing I picked up mentioned acidosis. I noticed I had the GT as well as other symptoms, so I thought this might be an answer. Note that acidosis can be caused by stress and fear, as well as diabetes. Since today's society is running rampant with all three, it might be a valid point.

Acidosis is the tendency of the body to be overacid. This occurs when the body loses its alkaline reserve, common in those with diabetes, stomach ulcers. Other causes include: kidney, liver, and adrenal disorders; improper diet; malnutrition; obesity; ketosis; anger; stress; fear; anorexia; toxemia; fever; excess niacin; vitamin C; and aspirin.

Symptoms include frequent sighing, insomnia, water retention, recessed eyes, rheumatoid arthritis, migraine headaches, abnormally low blood pressure, dry hard stools, foul-smelling stools accompanied by burning sensation in anus. Alternating constipation and diarrhea, difficulty swallowing, burning in mouth or under tongue, Sensitivity of teeth to vinegar and acid fruits. Bumps on roof of mouth or tongue.

Avoid:
Acid-Forming Foods: Alcohol, asparagus, beans, Brussels sprouts, catsup, chickpeas, cocoa, coffee, cornstarch, eggs, fish, flour products, legumes, lentils, meat, milk, mustard, noodles, oatmeal; olives; organ meats; pasta; peppers; poultry; sauerkraut; shellfish; soft drinks; sugar; tea

Okay in small doses
Low-Level Acid-Forming Foods: Butter, cheeses, coconuts (dried), fruits (canned/glazed), fruits (dried sulfured), grains (most), ice cream, ice milk (homemade), lambsquarter, seeds and nuts (most).

Eat more:
Alkaline Forming Foods: Apricots, avocados, corn, dates, fruits, grapefruit, grapes, honey, lemons, maple syrup, melons, millet, molasses, oranges, raisins, soy figs, vegetables.

Low-Level Alkaline-Forming Foods: Almonds, blackstrap molasses, Brazil nuts, buckwheat, chestnuts, coconuts (fresh), dairy products, soured, lima beans, millet.

Also try:
Kelps: 5 tablets daily. Reduces acid in body. Aids in maintaining a proper balance of minerals.
Potassium: Increases metabolism. Aids in balancing pH in blood.
Vitamin A; Vitamin B Complex; Elder Bark, hops, willow.
Eat 50% raw foods such as apples, avocados, bananas, grapefruit, grapes, lemons, pears, pineapples and all vegetables. Phosphorus and sulfur act as buffers to maintain pH.
Drink potato broth every day.
Externally, apply ginger compresses to kidney area. Practice deep breathing. Check pH daily.

xavesmum
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 08:31 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My four year old son has geographical tongue. He assures me it is not painful, and he thinks it is really cool! The kids at his kindergarden say "show me your tongue today Xave!". His dentist seems to believe it is stress related, but he has had it since birth. He is four years old, what does he have to be stressed about? I think it is genetic.

Paulina
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 10:34 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had geographical tongue for 10 years and I'm 29 now. Like Angie and Kelly wrote above, I also suffer from migraines and currently i'm in my 4th month of pregnancy and my morning sickness has been unbearable. Maybe all 3 are linked? The foods that set me off are tomatoes, salsa, refried beans, pineapple, kiwi, lollipops etc. I try to avoid these foods, but of course Mexican's my favorite. My tongue gets so inflammed that the lesions actually make my ears hurt. I know it's geographical tongue because almost INSTANTLY after putting the food in my mouth i'm in severe pain. It's brought me to tears many times. BC Powder works the best for me (which I can't take during pregnancy). I pour the powder on my tongue and let it actually dissolve a little (it tastes gross, but it helps!) I keep the BC Powder with me at all times. It blows my mind that we can grow an ear on the back of a mouse, but we can't figure out how to cure Geogrpahical Tongue!!!

Sam the Pharmacist
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 02:21 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This may be premature...but I recently tried a new toothpaste (Arm & Hammer Advance White), my geographical tounge went away for about a week now..i'm hoping it continues to stay away. I think this product may be working for me because it's main inactive ingredient is Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate)...as you may or may not know, sodium bicarbonate neutralizes acid. And what is there a ton of in all the fruits everyones been mentioning...acid.

WW
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 11:35 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can someone show me a picture of what a GT tongue looks like? I am very curious to see whether I have the same thing or not.

pooh08NC
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 09:56 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, i have jus got Gt about 2 months ago. I am about to be 16 years old next month. When i first got it, it started off small, and would come and go away, but until i went to the dentist, they told me it was an allergic reaction, other people have it, don't worry about it, it's nothing serious, watch what u eat..... and so on. I am hoping to try the Healthy Tongue Secrets because i don't want a life full of problems with GT and i want to try and prevent it early. If u have it don't feel alone. Just start trying to eat healthy and find what's the best solution for you.

grossed out
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have had large cuts and teeth marks on the edges on my tongue for as long as i can remember. i have very bad asthma and thery told me it was from that. i went to the dentist last week and she said i had gt and showed me that patches and she was right they move constantly. i also have anemia. does that have anything to do with it?

iluvblkwomen
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 10:58 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WW do a google IMAGE search and u will see. i 2 have a geographical tonuge and i hate it. it looks disgusting and disease ridden like i have herpes or something. i really wish that this condition was something taken alot more seriously in medical science. i was very shocked n surprised to learn of so many other people with the same condition. now i dont feel so alone.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information