Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Health * My doctor is stumped < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lane
Unregistered guest

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:16 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello.

I'm visiting my family in NC from San Francisco, where I go to school, and my return home has already been delayed a week by my problem. I am a 22 year old female and in good general health. I am also a vegetarian and a non-smoker.

This all started last Thursday night, 7/29. I was up a little late, and around midnight-1am, my heart started beating more rapidly than usual and my breathing changed. I laid down, but it continued and I started shaking in chills. I tried to relax but I ended up having my mom take me to the emergency room that night.

At the ER, they took my blood, urine, etc. The doctor at the emergency room told me it could just be viral and sent me home, and the doctor I saw the next day for follow-up said the same. If it is viral, it's been a week now and I haven't beaten it.

At the time this started, I had been on an antibiotic (metronidazole - generic Flagyl) for a few days. Several doctors assured me I wasn't reacting to it, but when I again saw the doctor who had prescribed it, she had guessed that could be the cause, though by that time I was down to my last pill. (I had a routine physical before all this started, and the antibiotic was only for a small amount of bacteria she noticed during my paap smear.)

I was so happy to hear that it could be that, I decided to just give it a couple of days. And though the symptoms (mainly the heartrate spells) have improved a bit since I have been off the antibiotic, I still do not feel normal.

My symptoms are increased heartrate, pounding. My heartrate has ranged from the low to mid 80's to 120, though most often my highs are around 98-108. Chills/shaking sometimes when my heartrate gets up. Low fever (stays around 99 degrees, up to 99.6). Unusual amount of fatigue when I wake up in the morning. Sometimes jumpiness and sort of electric-feeling tinges when my heartrate's been up. My whole body is aching, and my neck is stiff (though this could be from all the time I've spent in bed when the increased heartrate spells were much longer).

All of my blood tests have come back fine, and I have a normal thyroid level.

I have noticed that one of my patterns is going to sleep for a few hours, then waking up with my heart pounding and beating fast. Earlier in the week, this would take a long time for me to come down from, and I would end up having to take Benadryl to help me fall back asleep. More recently (since a couple of days after being off the antibiotic), it hasn't taken nearly as long for it to calm down. But I am still fatigued, and my heartrate still goes up and/or pounds at times.

My blood pressure has been checked several times, and it has always been fine when my heart has been racing, except yesterday when I went in to see a doctor again for a morning appointment. I was very fatigued and hadn't eaten - my blood pressure was 100/70. I felt better after eating.

They did an EKG, which was normal. My heartrate was around 100 in the doctor's office. He decided to send me to the cardiologist for an echocardiogram, which came back fine - the nurse told me my heart is normal and healthy.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on with me?

Thanks in advance...

Lane

lanea
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 05:35 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have been having the same problem as you have increased heart rate ranging around 108 to 115 and no one seems to know whats wrong with me all the doctors do is keep increasing the propranolol. the heart monitor only show tackycardia the thyroid level are on the low side of normal so if youve found out anything please let me know . thanks lanea

Matt O.
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 07:26 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey,
I'm a 16 year old guy and I've recently been diagnosed with POTs disease. It sounds alot like what you guys have. If you get light-headed after standing up from laying down or sitting, I would highly suggest checking this out. I used to get, and still do sometimes, REALLY tired from it. I'd have to take random naps throughout the day. Hypotension is a common trait with this disease, and if your doctors tell you to go on salt pills, tell them to screw themselves because they don't do anything. Ask to try floraneif for 7 days or so if they want to give you salt. That's what works best for me.
Late-
Matt

Nan Cropsey
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 10:28 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello...
I totally understand where all of you are at! I am 25 and was diagnosed with POTS almost 2 years ago. The doctors ran tilt table tests to diagnose this. These are the exact same symptoms that I had including passing out a lot. Many times it was in the shower, church, or waiting in lines. It took doctors a long time to diagnose me, but finally I went to the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, OH. They are doing major research on this disease and are progressively finding new kinds of treatments for POTS. I am on a beta blocker called Lopressor, but they have experimented with other medicine and different doses. I have never felt better and rarely have problems anymore. I recommend finding a doctor who knows a lot about this...most have never heard of it. Hope this helps.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information