Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Health * Any Great Health Tips? < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Korin Waugh (Admin)

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 11:53 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey anybody have any great health tips?

Julie Lynn Kuespert

Rating: 

Posted on Friday, July 05, 2002 - 12:21 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

-Drinking plenty of water (ex. 8, 8 oz. glasses of water a day) will help you stay healthy and lose weight
-Eating a good breakfast, with a healthy, descent size lunch and a small dinner with some excercise is also an excellent way to lose weight and stay healthy
-Not eating foods with alot of fat or cholesterol is a good way to keep healthy
-Drink juices with plenty of vitamins and nutrition such as orange juice (it also lowers your risk of cancer and other diseases)

Anonymous

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 10:33 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are different types of sugars, if you decide to eat a sugary food try one with simple sugars like fructose (usually in fruit). Frustose breaks down easier and faster than other sugars.

Anonymous

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 03:12 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get your essential fatty acids. Polyunsaturated and monunsaturated...stay away from too many saturated fats! Your best bets are mixed nuts, olive oil, canola oil, fish.

Ruby Oliver

Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 11:11 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank You just wanted to know on a fiber diet.Could you give me idea what foods to eat.

lostfido

Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 09:47 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

- Only buy cans of soup that list less than (or equal to) 4 grams of fat in the nutri-chart

-avoid beef and other red meats, only eat fish or skinless chicken.

- avoid buying food that lists the following ingredient "Partially Modified Hydrogenated <whatever> oil" <-- Trans Fats!! As a more strict rule, generally avoid all pre-processed foods in favor of more wholesome staples

- avoid pop(soda), chips (except for 'Frito Baked Lays' occasionally), pizzas, and all fast foods except for Subway sandwiches

- switch margarine to Becel or celeb

- buy skim milk only

- buy 'simple' cereals like bran flakes, corn flakes, and cheerios instead of cereals like sugar-coated mini-wheats, apple-cinnamon flavoured cheerios, and etc.

- If your stomach is upset quite a bit, cut back on coffee, hot chocolate, and garlic and other spices in your food.

- Work up to 30-40 minutes of aerobic or other cardio activity for a minimum of 130 minutes per week. For instance, find a stair case and step up and down only on the *bottom* step. Time your initial duration and log it. Give yourself a week to a month to increment your duration by five-minute intervals until you reach 30 or 40 minutes.

- Don't try to lost more than one to two pounds per week --even if it takes you two years or more to get down to your target weight. Accelerated weight loss will 'shock' your system and induce dangerous yo-yo'ing. You would gain your weight back plus more, making it harder to reduce weight the second time.

Most of all, moderation is key: don't over eat, don't under eat, don't lose weight too fast (avoid all fad diets like 'South Beach'), don't lost weight too slowly.

I've lost 28pds so far (272 pds down to 244pds) in six months. Wish me luck because I have 44 to 66 to go. . .

lowri thompson
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 10:28 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i want to lose weight on my legs on the adkins diet could you tell me what sort of foods and excerices to do please

Jeffery Pyle
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:11 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beware of Trans-fat!

On food labels, trans-fat is listed as an unsaturated fat. However, it in the body, it behaves like a saturated fat.

Trans-fats are processed vegetable oils that congeal or solidify at room temperature, just like saturated fats. However, trans-fats in your diet increase your cholosterol and some researchers believe trans-fats cause or contribute to the development of some cancers.

Look for "partially hydrogenated" vegetable oil in the list of ingredients on the food label. Anything with partially hydrogenated oils contains trans-fat.

jodie
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 07:41 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i wont to know how the atkins diet is in a way dangerous

greenbee
Username: greenbee

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 01:33 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, I've been working out for 1 1/2 mths and recently introduced weights into my workout. I ussually do these 2-3 xs a wk and do cardio 3-4 xs a week. Why have I gained 5 pounds? I eat a low-fat, high protein diet that includes veggies and even some high fiber carbs. What's up?

Grant Maurice Joseph Woods
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 3 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:41 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greenbee ur gaining weight because u'v added a weight work out, muscle weights (onaverage) 3x that fat does, the question u have to ask urself is if ur body is transforming and if u feel better. Lbs and Kgs are just a mesuring unit, look at ur body and how u feel to adjust what exercises. I've been an avid body builder for 3 years and have put in the time to figure out what it takes...

Jodie...the adkins diet does have many bad aspects to it, it is basically a very high protein/very low carb diet witch will make u lose fat BUT ur brain uses carbs to function, and any dieting regime that cuts out full food groups isn't good, balance out ur personal diet... a good diet consistes of lots of protein(if body building 1-2 grams per pound of body mass) with a healthy does of all ur essentials, including carbs...
i could go on forever but...
some of my favorite recipes are...
a turkey sandwich made with salsa rather then mayo: its tasty and really good for u...
or tuna sandwich made with low fat salad dressing and change up the flavours, ranch, italien, cesar...
anyways hope this helps some of u folks out

annonomus
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:22 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

exercise, it will increase your fitness and will also increase your health by giving you increased concentration, better sleep at night, enhanced mood, reduced anxiety and hostiliy, higher energy levels, better weight control and improved immune system.

Ron, Singapore
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:18 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Health Tips ....

1. Drinks at least 2.5 litres of water daily ; It is one of the key factors that affects our health
2. Take less of fatty/fried/oily food and meat
3. Take more green leafy vegies, colourful fresh fruits
4. YES, Exercise ; It can simply be brisk walking, or dialy stretches, play rackets/balls games, swim, skips, walking stairs...there are so many to choose from - no excuse.
5. Diet/Health programme ? I'd tried a few that were available here in Singapore.. finally found one that I'm comfortable with (no restriction on what you can or cannot eat.. what a relief!), simple, effective, natural and herbal, it's a all-in-one with slimming/gaining/maintaining weight + keeps your cells healthy + antioxidant, more.
6. Think positive, smile more, be sincere, be nice to help

melanie
Username: mel_12

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 06:31 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi
well i reaaly wanna lose weight because everyone says that i look fat and i have fat arms. plz tell me some sort of fiet with which i can loose weight. actaully i dont have much time to excercise because of my yr 12 studies.

linzi dowd
Username: lillinzi

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 03:40 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i want to gain weight im too thin. i am 5.4' and too thin i get really depressed about my weight and i dont no what theyr is that can help gain weight. i eat so much and still dont put on any weight.what can i do ????

moti amma
Username: motimunni

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 01:36 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi me and my beautiful sister munni are trying to lose weight..but the problems are:
a.)we cant stop thinking about food
b.)we can't stick to a diet
c.)we love to eat
does anyone have any suggestions for us not to think of food?

15 year old succeeds
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 01:45 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dieting doesn't mean STARVING. You eat whatever you like, but in moderation. You just eat HEALTHY. Food is not your life! Life does not revolve around food! It should revolve around you and who you are! You must change your mindset before you change your weight.

Janie Dallas
Username: janie942

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 11:49 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all. I have been going to a gym for about 2 months. I was told by a trainer (not sure what her training is exactly) that spinning, stairmaster and the elliptical will actual make my thighs bulky. I already have heavy thighs and know that excessive running makes your thighs bulky. I do not want bulky thighs! Does anyone know if it is true that any exercize that includes weight training with your legs will make them bulky? If so, is walking my only option?

Jessica Smith
Username: latino

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 08:06 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Janie, go to fitness questions, and the question on How to Slim Down Legs.

in particular look at the last post by Vira, because this is a good one.

excercising with weight training won't make your legs bulky unless you are using very large weights. if you use lighter weights but higher reps you will get longer, leaner muscles.

also consider doing pilates and stretching to look less bulky.

jtsnow
Username: jtsnow

Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 07:01 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

any help is good help

Why do you want to know?
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 05:44 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. eat lots of fruit
2. eat real foods. Don't eat an entire container of fat-free peanut butter, eat one small spoonfull of the yummy natural kind.
3. don't mistake meal replacement drinks and bars for snacks. Most have close to 300 calories. (this includes smoothies.)
4. pay attention to portion sizes. A bagel is five pieces of bread, pasta portions at resterants are close to three cups, and some meat can be four or five servings. This is a rough guide.
Peanut butter: walnut in shell
Meat: deck of cards
cheese: three dices
cold-cuts: one cd jewelbox
salad dressing: shot glass
muffin: muffin top from starbucks

you usually can find other serving sizes online.

5. eat whole-wheat breads, pastas and brown rice instead of the white stuff.
6. try soy/tofu. (most people shy away from it, but you can do soooo many things with tofu!)

Scott Steiner
Username: freak_zilla

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 05:41 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have sufficient sleep, take enough calories and pump irons madly.
That's my idea of keeping fit and healthy. Enjoy!

Rob MacCurry
Username: roberex

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 03:17 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you want to flatten your abs, don't bother spending money on ab exercise machines. You need toA:
do crunches
B:
Aerobic exercise where you get your heart beating to burn fat.
C:
Weight training

That and a moderate diet, and you will get rid of those layers of fat in no time!

Rebecca Emily Parrish
Username: beahelp

Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 09:26 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Live + work hard + eat right + sleep enough + learn alot + love your neighbor as yourself = healthy and happy.

jessy
Username: jessy

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 11:23 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

salsa dressing is wat kind of dressing? heard of but never tried before..

peanuts ...i love to eat but i often eat groundnuts with no salt added but i scare of the high fats content and calories..

saturted fats seems to appear in all food
and biscults even those plain type is made from partically hygronted oil

Mary Liu
Username: mary1983719

Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 04:21 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where to buy the Tribulus Terrestris Extract? Contact Mary!
Tribulus Terrestris Extract 40% Total Saponins

Product Name: Tribulus Terrestris Extract

Latin Name: Tribulus Terrestris

Active Ingredient:
Saponins, semidrying oil, peroxidase, glycoside resin, proteins and inorganic matter.

The fruit contains 5% of a semidrying oil, peroxidase, traces of glycoside resin, proteins and inorganic matter. Steroidal saponins mainly furostanol glycosides have been isolated. Large quantities of potassium and nitrates are present too.

The plant has significant diuretic action. It is commonly prescribed in urolithiasis, crystalluria, aging and non specific impotence

Mary Liu

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 04:16 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Citrus Aurantium extract Synephrine 4% to 95%

Synephrine is a well known bronchial dilator, and is used extensively in with diet pills and weight loss formulas. It is first choice to take place of ephedrine in weight loss formula. Its primary use in the trade is to treat chest congestion and indigestion, stimulate gastrointestinal functions, and improve circulatory and liver functions.

It has been clinically proven that the combination of these adrenergic amines stimulate beta-3 receptors with minimal impact on other receptor sites. This function of increasing the metabolic rate without affecting heart rate or blood pressure. They release adrenaline and noradrenaline only in the beta-3 receptor sites. It does not cross the blood-brain barrier.

Stimulation of the beta-3 receptor sites elicits the breakdown of lipolysis (fat). Simultaniously, this stimulation increases the metabolic rate (thermogenesis), which burns calories. Synephrine offers all the advantages of a stimulant, without the drawbacks. It functions to burn fat, increase physical performance, and build lean muscle mass.

Raw Material: The dried small Citrus aurantium fruit

Molecular Formula: C9H13NO2

Molecular Weight: 176.2

Mary Liu

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 04:18 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where to buy the Dan-shen Extract? Contact Mary!
Dan-shen Extract Tanshinone IIA Salvia Miltiorrhiza

Botanical name: Salvia miltiorrhiza Bge.

Parts used: Roots

Active compounds:

Tanshinone I, IIA, IIB, Isotanshinone I, IIA, Cryptotanshinone, Isocryptotanshinone, Methyltanshinone, Hydroxytanshinone, Radix Salviae acid A, B, C

Extract method:

By Supercritical CO2 extraction

Specification:

Danshinone IIA: 5-98%£¡§HPLC£º

Functions:

1. Activate blood and dredge meridians
2. Cool blood and subdue swelling
3. Clear away heart fire and calm the mind
4. Expand blood vessels, increase coronary blood flow and blood pressure 5. Tranquilize and ease pain 6. Effective for the acne and comedo.

Specifications:

10-50% Tanshinone II A

Features:
Activate blood and dredge meridi
Clear away heart fire and calm
Clear away heart fire and calm the mind
Expand blood vessels
Expand blood vessels, increase coronary blood flow and blood pressure
Effective for the acne
Effective for the acne and comedo.

Mary Liu

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 04:20 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where to buy the Tocopherol IU? Contact Mary!
Tocopherol IU Soybean Oil d-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate Vitamin E

Vitamin E has earned itself a reputation - from spicing up your sex life to banning wrinkles and old age. One of the most important functions of this vitamin is its antioxidant properties. Vitamin E is an essential fat-soluble vitamin that includes eight naturally occurring compounds in two classes designated as tocopherols and tocotrienols.

Vitamin E is an effective chain-breaking, lipid-soluble antioxidant in biological membranes, and aids in membrane stability.

Vitamin E is required for
Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant, protects your cells from oxidation, and neutralizes unstable free radicals, which can cause damage. This is done by the vitamin E giving up one of its electrons to the electron deficient free radical, making it more stable. While Vitamin E performs its antioxidant functions, it also protects the other antioxidants from being oxidized.

This antioxidant capability is then also great in helping to prevent degenerative diseases - including heart disease, strokes, arthritis, senility, diabetes and cancer. It also assists in fighting heart disease and cancers and is essential for red blood cells, helps with cellular respiration and protects the body from pollution - especially the lungs. Vitamin E is also useful in preventing blood clots from forming and promotes fertility, reduces and/or prevents hot flushes in menopause. An increase in stamina and endurance is also attributed to Vitamin E.

Vitamin E is also used topically to great effect for skin treatments - in helping the skin look younger, promoting healing and cutting down the risk of scar tissue forming. Used on the skin it is also reported to help with eczema, skin ulcers cold sores and shingles.

Deficiency of vitamin E
Deficiency of Vitamin E is not common, and the symptoms not very clear cut, but may include fatigue, inflamed varicose veins, wounds healing slowly, premature aging and sub-fertility. When Vitamin E is in short supply symptoms may include acne, anemia, muscle disease, dementia, cancers, gallstones, shortened red blood cell life span, spontaneous abortion (miscarriage), and uterine degeneration.

Best used with
Take Vitamin E with the range of antioxidants - that being vitamin C, beta-carotene and selenium. Vitamin B group vitamins as well as inositol and manganese is also indicated.

When more may be required
When your diet is high in refined carbohydrates, fried foods and fat, or you are taking a birth control pill or hormone replacement therapy, then a supplement of Vitamin E might be called for. People suffering from pre-menstrual cramps, menopausal hot flushes, after a stroke or suffering from a heart disease might benefit from Vitamin E. It might also be beneficial to relieve painful or swollen joints, if you are exposed to pollution (that is about all of us), suffer from poor circulation or from Dupuytren's disease, which is a thickening of the ligaments in the hands.

Enemy of vitamin E
Vitamin E is lost in food processing which includes milling, cooking, freezing, long storage periods and when exposed to air.

Vitamin E should not be taken together with inorganic iron supplements as it may destroy the vitamin, while organic iron, such as ferrous gluconate and ferrous fumarate does not affect the vitamin.

Other interesting points
When buying a supplement you often see "d-alpha-tocopherol" on the list of ingredients - that means that the Vitamin E is from natural sources, whereas "dl-alpha-tocopherol" will indicate that it is from synthetic origin. As such the origin of the vitamin does not influence the efficiency thereof.

Food sources of vitamin E
Vitamin E is found in nuts, oils, vegetables, sunflower seeds, whole grains, spinach, oils, seeds, wheat oils, asparagus, avocado, beef, seafood, apples, carrots, celery etc

Yvette Davis
Username: health_addict

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 02:08 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In response to Ruby's fiber diet. Here are some healthy and yummy foods that contain lots of fiber:
Broccoli
cauliflower
carrots
Apples
oats
sweet potatoes

I will often eat oatmael for breakfast, not the sugary flavored kind that comes in individual packs, but the raw oats from the can. Boil them in water. Add blueberries or cinnamon or whatever I flavor I feel like that day and I have a very healthy high fiber breakfast. For lunch I add high fiber veggies like broccoli and an apple along with something high in protein like nuts or tuna.
Dinner? How about a piece of chicken with a medium sized sweet potato, no butter.
Also, low fat, low suger meal supplement drinks provide a sufficient amount of fiber along with vitamins and minerals. If you choose to consume meal replacement drinks or protein bars, check the label for sugar content because if you are watching your weight and not exercising, they can have a little too much sugar and fat. Keep in mind too that some also contain a highly concentrated amount of protein so be careful if you are prone to kidney stones. I hope this helps.

kristina duncan
Username: kristina

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 07:23 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I weigh about 125 lbs, and am about 5"6. If i just want to tone my arms and legs, how much weight should i use?

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information