Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Health * Bumps on my tongue < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

clint

Rating: 
Votes: 11 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 01:04 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

recently i noticed that I have a couple of red bump-type things on the sides of my tongues but only in the back. also, it seems like there are tastebuds that turn white and get a little bigger than normal, but usually only one at a time, and i kinda have the feeling that my tongue was burnt, but it hasn't been recently. for as long as i can remember, the back top of my tongue has always had bumps(which i think are swolen taste buds) but i've never noticed it on the sides(maybe it's just because i never looked). does anyone know what this is, and how it can be helped? thanks!

Ryan Froehler

Rating: 
Votes: 5 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 11:29 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask your doctor....it's the easiest way to find out.

Anonymous

Rating: 
Votes: 3 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 10:39 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have a 'geographical' tongue. basically every once in awhile my tongue gets all weird looking (like a map, lol) with raised and lowered parts. it hurts like i burned my tongue, and sometimes when the sides get messed up it hurts as if i cut my tongue. er, there are lots of different symptoms (some people have big holes in there tongues that food gets trapped in, ew!!) and some just have bumps. maybe this is whats wrong with yours. i dunno.

Summer
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 03:18 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also have a geographic tongue. my problems are the same as yours, and it swells on the sides when i drink pop and eat french fries, or i eat tomatoes. i was born with a geographic tongue, so for my entire life it has prevented me from eating salsa or anything hot and spicy. (my family is big on spicy mexican food) i just want to know why i cant eat that stuff. if anyone has info please answer back. thanks!

stephanie
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 05:52 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i've had a sore throat for about a day now and this morning i noticed two bumps right below the uvula now i have about a thousand bumps on my tongue noneat the tip tough i'm going to the docotor tomorrow but someone help what is it?

stacha couch
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 08:13 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my son is acting sick. i asked him what was hurting. we went over everthing but he just popped out with "my tongue" after examining his tongue i noted that there was a white bump on the right side that appearred to be from a bite. but there where several THREE others that appearred to be what my nannie use to call "lie bumps" he was running a tempature as well. i have the temp. broke now but he is still very winie and sleepy. (normally very enerigetic.

Shari
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 03:12 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

maybe you have herpes!

Jessica A Y
Unregistered guest

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 11:04 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is just a little bit of white stuff on my smaller taste buds to my bigger taste buds. I don't know what it means, so if someone can tell me if I have some sort of disease that would be great. Thanks!

BRIDGETTECFRANCIS
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 06:23 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I HAVE GEOGRAPHICAL TONGUE AND I ALSO HAVE HERPES I ASKED MY DOCTOR IF I HAD GOTTEN HERPES ON MY TONGUE(LOL) THANK GOD THAT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HERPES ALTHOUGH ORAL SEX WILL CONTRIBUTE TO BREAKING OUR TONGUE OUT. HE INFORMED ME THAT I HAVE TO WATCH WHAT I EAT LIKE SPICY FOODS WHICH I S HARD. GARGLING WITH WARM WATER MAY HELP BUT I GUESS ITS JUST SOMETHING WE HAVE TO LIVE WITH

Doug
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 05:14 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are two bumps on the back of my tongue, is that normal

Patt
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 08:32 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I Have Geographical Tongue And I Find Some Relief When I Brush Regularly With "Rembrandt For Canker Sores Toothpaste". I Don't Know What The Chemical Is That Helps This Disease From Flairing Up But, I Do Wish It Was In More Toothpastes And Cheaper!

helpful hopefully
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 10:50 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i believe the two bumps are normal. I have the same.. way in the back.. one on either side of the middle.

Ernie Vazquez
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:28 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Geographical tongue is often a genetical harmless condition, and is due from the absence of foliform papilae (one of the four types of papillae present in tongue, but the only one that doesn't have anything to do with taste)
The geographical tongue comes and goes, and it gets worse if the person eats spicy foods, cola or carbinated products (due to the acidity, increases burning sensations and pain) but this can go with a non-alcohol mouthwash.

p.s. My girlfriend has geographical tongue since she was born, and personally, I prefer the sensation of her tongue, since it feels smother.

easyguy
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 08:38 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a few bumps too, is it an infection? it doesn't hurt. It only look like i have small pimples on the back of my tongue. any 1 have a clue what it is? i just visited vietnam, so dont know if i got it from there.

Chloe Smith
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 05:21 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a curry this evening and i don't usually eat spicy food, about an hour later i noticed about 10-12 bumps ont he back of my tongue near my throat! im a smoker so im a bit freaked out or was it just the spicy food.

Heather Davis
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 09:53 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a lot of flat bumps on the back of my tongue they used to be on the very back but now they seem like there is more of them closer up on my tongue

herpresfree
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 4 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:03 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i brush my teeth to hard and jam it into my lip. I get canker sores from it - sometimes i press salt into it until i start crying does this help?

LORI ONEAL
Username: lori

Post Number: 1

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 12:44 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently went to the Dr because usually I get one or two of the "lie bumps" on my tongue, but I got like 4 or 5 at one time and they were driving me crazy. They gave me a mixture of maalox and benedryl. I was shocked but it works to relieve the irritation of those bumps. The maalox just works as a coating to make your tongue feel better but the benedryl elixer helps heal the bumps. Finally some relief. p.s. use equal parts of each

Petrol Fume
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 09:13 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have exactly the same thing in that there are two small bumps on the back of my tongue on either side of the middle...Just started with me about a month and a half ago. I have seen my doctor and he just brushed it off as if it was nothing to worry about. He did give me a perscribed rinse that clears out Thrush and other tongue related fungal growth (which is normal for anyone on antibiotics or is diabetic). After using the rinse however, the bumps haven't really gone away. They're sometimes smaller and sometimes larger...They don't hurt at all and I have tried to use a tongue scraper on them but they feel like they're pretty lodged in there...They may just be swollen tastebuds...My doctor was quick to dismiss them but never did tell me exactly what they were...

frog frog
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 12:18 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most doctors have little idea about tongues.
Except for chinese doctors. They can analyse health using the tongue, the finger-nail and even hair. There are also iridologists that analyse eyes and can tell a whole bunch of stuff.
I have bumps on my tongue, I looked in my dads book on tongue diagnosis but its not there.
But there are other books you can get, or see a Traditional Chinese Medicine Practicioner.

kg
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 10:45 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have geographical tongue too but spicy foods dont make my tongue hurt...its more like foods with a lot of acid like apples, oranges, etc. But its not all the time when i eat then either...so i just keep on eating them! Its just a mild discomfort so i can deal with it :-)

tara
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 01:09 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what cuases lie bumps?

jezzika five
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 01:20 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok so i have this bump on my tongue. it doenst hurt at all, however, it is bothering me. i have had it for 2 years now. its not white or anything, it is the color of my tongue (pink)also it hasnt grown...its just kind of there.has anyone ever had anything like this before? should i go to a doctor?

Becky Tredget
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 04:05 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a geographical tongue also, i find it gets worse and hurts more if i eat anyhing that has citric acid in it but as many foods do its hard to avoid, sometimes my tongue swells up in around 100 white lumps for no reason at all, does anyone know if theres any known treatment or anything that helps? if ya do please let us know. im only 14 so is there a chance i could grow out of it??? xxxx

Bruce
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 11:05 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a geographical tongue My sister and I were both born with it. I hurts when I eat fresh fruits. cooked or frozen fruits do not seem to bother it as much or at all. canned fruits hurt it to a lesser degree than fresh. I have found that drinking milk after eating fruit cuts down the acid and my mouth doesn't hurt as much then and sometimes stops completely.

AAW
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 10:51 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Starting today, my throat hurt very bad and I have the feeling of a sinus infection.. also fatigued. I looked at my tongue and found that there were a TON of large bumps (about pea sized or bigger) on the left and right of my tonsils, no where else. I noticed later that there is an enormous white/pink bump that is flat on top on the way back of my tongue. Will someone please tell me what on earth is going on in my mouth? I haven't done anything or eaten anything that would do this.

EasyGuy
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 07:40 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok it has been 2 months since i have these bumps on the back of my tongue...i will occasionally cough. I do not know if it is related. I've taken oral antibiotic, maybe that could be the caused?.my doctor also said its swollen taste buds, but it looks weird. it doesn't hurt..yet...i've been reading this forum, no help yet

rtzuh
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 05:08 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i recently got these red bumps on the back of my tongue. they hurt really bad to a point where it feels sore when i talk. i think its becus i ate too many sour candies...i'm not sure--but its never happened before..does anyone hav any tips on how to get rid of these painful bumps??

SarahTongue
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 02:38 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got three white bumps on my tongue today. Oddly enough I had just eaten mexican food and i coughed tonight - I hardly ever cough. Is this all coincidence or is this the real reason lie bumps are formed, mexican food?

oh yeah how do you use the maalox and benedryl, just past it on the bumps, or swallow it?

lin z
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 03:15 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

these are canker sores(aphthous ulcers) you need a prescription for aphthasol or kenalog (anti-inflammatory) or tetracycline mouth rinse. don't eat citric acid, spicy foods, or obvious others(chips, etc.) Caused by stress, virus, vitamin defienciency, or cutting or somehow wounding your mouth.

Dayna
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 02:47 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These white bumps are NOT ulcers. Ulcers are literally dents or gaping holes in tongue or cheek. Morever they are so painful they keep you from eating. Check google images and I am almost positive those little white bumps are not what you have. I was told they are brought on by stress so try and calm down. I get them all the time and I have been like this since I was little.

DiGad920
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 04:48 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok~ I have a large painful white sore on the side of my tongue. Looks and feels like a canker sore. Last year, I had numerous ones , and asked my Dr to check it out. I had blood work done, and he told me I had the Herpes Simplex, the oral one..not the genital one. Seems it is a virus most of us have in us..It is something that lies dormant, then ..like now, when my immune system is low (I have as bad cold), I will get these Freaking sores. I have tried herpe medication, didn't help. I am now trying the Maalox and benydrl. Maalox is helping with the pain. Will let you know if Benydrl helps with the healing. This is just something thatI have to live with, we are the lucky ones that are troubled with this problem...Maybe it'll stay dormant for the rest of our lives_~YEA

smellyswellyscarything
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 8 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 03:20 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have the worst swelling of the taste buds! i have had the WORST canker sores ever on the planet! i usually bite off the swollen bud and then the sore spreads because of the additional trauma i have done. the tongue bleeds and i get scars on my tonge. they are painful and last for weeks, and i usually bite off or use a cuticle snipper to cut the buds off......i enjoy mutilating my tonge. i get a odd obsession with pulling off every bud until its just a open tongue sore and bleeding. the buds come back but the scar stays. its neat!

Sara Jenkins
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 04:20 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sometimes get clear bumps on the bottom of my tongue. Does anyone know what these are? Are they from stress?

Hali Madere
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 12:50 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I get clear bumps on the bottom of my tongue too. I don't know what causes them, but hopefully they are normal.

OMGG
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 04:51 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From the first post.One day I look in the mirror for no good reason then I stuck my tongue out and I seen some white bumps so I showed my mom she said lets wait a while and if it doesn't clear up then I will take you to the docter so I waited.The time I look it was about 2 weeks later the white bumps turned pink and had gotten a bit bigger than it was before so she finally took me to the docter and he said they are your taste buds thats has enlarged a bit called Pepalelei(not sure is it is spelled correct)he said theirs nothing to be worried about he also say it is normal for people to have them because his son had the same problem and was worried about what it was.But it will not go away.

Cory Carano
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 10:23 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was also born with a geographic tongue. Its fascinating to hear all of you discuss your cases. I didnt know it gets better or worse, or that people can acquire it later in life.... I have allergies, a commonly tied symptom, perhaps the rest of you suffer from allergies also. My tongue burns very rarely when i eat pineapple and ketchup, but i cant handle mouth wash for more then 15 seconds. I have gotten used to it, i never imagined theres a possibility of it going away. If anyone out there was born with it and it went away, please post, good luck everyone.

Erika Smith
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 07:21 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hear everyone talking about bumps on the back of their tongue, but mine are on the tip and VERY painful, so much so that I have basically stopped eating. I was looking at pictures of tongue diseases on google and found one that looks most similar called Rinderpest, but believe it or not, this is a bovine illness! (cow and bull) so I am stummped! My dr knows nothing. What to do?

Alexis Treacher
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 12:19 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently found bumps on the back of my tongue- similar to what you all have described. first i flipped out about herpes- i don't think it is, but i'm getting tested.
if you have painful bumps on the front of your tongue, get allum, this tart white powder. its like magic, it reduces those types of sores, which are usually caused by too many sweets. its perfectly safe and over the counter.

G
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 08:37 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have a very similar problem. Tongue feels like it has been burnt. white and red bumps that come and go. Doesnt hurt but uncomfortable and annoying. I found a doctor that suggested acid reflux and prescribed nexium. It has been very helpful. Still get bouts from time to time but overall much less. I still am not fully convinced it is from acid reflux but have not found any other suggestions. I am in NYC. Is anyone else with this problem close to this area?

teachkdz
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 01:25 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have the same as Erika's, Very painful and on the tip of my tongue and now on the sides too. I never had this before. One doctor said that the herpes virus medicine would help - but of course it hasn't! Its been about a month with only a couple of days relief. I am going crazy. HELP

gharris
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 08:58 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have developed bumps on the back of my tongue in the past 2 days and is gowing worse. i have not been able to find any real good info, i'm about to panic in thinking i have herpes. if it does not clear-up within the next few days i will go and see my dr. Please somebody can you help me?

Nichole D
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 09:37 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My three year old daughter was told by her new physician that she has this. he wants to do a biopcy and make sure it is not a tumor. And something about checking her voice box to make sure no fungus is whats causing this. Should i be terribly worried? she has had thids for the past 11 months, but the hospitals and doctors did nothing.

Brian
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 05:18 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone. Not sure, but those red bumps on the back of your tongue are probably normal - everyone has them but they're not noticable because people don't usually look at their tongue that carefully. I thought they were a problem but my doctor told me otherwise. And as for herpes, it rarely manifests itself on the tongue, though it can happen. If it does, it's not a big deal; 80 percent of people are infected by HSV1 (the cause of cold sores, which are a herpes outbreak), and a smaller percentage of them actually have outbreaks. It's nothing to worry about, and it will clear up on its own, if that is what it is...I was curious if anyone has had an experience like mine because I can't find any information that seems to match my symptoms. I have very small, pinsize white bumps on the top surface of my tongue. They aren't really as painful (though it sometimes feels like my tongue is burnt) as their texture is noticable. They seems to be taste buds that are small, white and hard. I'm clueless as to what their cause is, and the doctor told me to rinse my mouth with saltwater - which has done nothing. If anyone has had a similar experience or any info that could help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks and good luck

Erika Smith
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 04:25 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guess what guys? Believe it or not mine is a yeast infection or aka thrush! Figure that out!!! I took Diflucan and it cleaed up in a matter of days. Check it out with your doc!

BurningTongue
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 04:02 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My tongue has been burning for days, and it does increase when I eat any carbs - like chips, or pretzels, or sweets. It feels like sandpaper, but I have not burned it lately.
I wish it would stop!

ooooowwwwwww
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 08:25 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey ive seen alot of stories and questions here but not enough answers. i have what people call lie bumps but i dont know the real name for it. its driving me insane and i want it gone does anyone know how to get rid of them?

Trying to be Helpful
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 02:46 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay well I dont know about the lie bumps, but about three days ago I went to the doctor to have my throat checked out. I noticed some bumps on the back of my tongue( on the sides, none in the middle) that were swollen. My throat was tight and itchy. My first thought was it was strep throat since my roommate was coughin up flem every minute of the day.
I asked the doctor about the bumps and she said they were a part of my tongue. She said they were a bit swollen because they were irritated by a virus. She said it looked like a small case of Pharyngitis, which can develope into strep throat or viral pharyngitis, a more severe form of strep. She gave me a common perscription (Z-pak) which hopefully will bring my bumps back to normal and this scratchy, hard to swallow feelin will go away.

DavidJ
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 04:30 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey there, about the bumps, I have what it looks like little white bumps all over the tip, I think I have had that for the longest, I do feel my tongue is like tingling or burning, when I think about it more, of course its more intense. ALso, do you guys have more like coating towards the back of the tongue, someone told me that is normal. Any clues?

Brian
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 01:53 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DavidJ, sounds like what's going on with me...only they're not just on the tip, but there's more of them there and they drive me crazy...more coating towards the back too...if i ever figure it out (like going to the dr.) or they go away i'll let you know.

Ashley Somone
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 08:49 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, everyone! I have little white bumps all over the tip of my tongue. My mom says that they are lie bumps, but i don't believe that. Any help?

Karolina Brunelli
Username: karlolina

Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 04:26 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi yall I have these clear bumps on the bottom of my tongue and Im freaking out trying to figure out what they are. Does anyone know and what kind of doctor do I go to?

Sinful Glory
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 02:15 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cory Carano, i was born with Geographical tongue as well, and i don't expect it to ever go away. Like others, it's bothersome to eat fresh tomatoes or fruit with high citric acid, colas, salt & vinegar chips. I thought it was rare, i'm very surprised with how many people have the same thing!

David Jano
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 04:04 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does anyone get like burning in their mouth? i am a 36 year old male & wondering of anyone has this?

carrie blythe
Username: cablythe

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 04:58 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what is a geographical tongue? I would love more info on these white swollen tastebuds. I have a hell of a case right now and have tried everything i usally do and it hasn't worked. What should i do now? please help.

Dana O'Neal
Username: rebelgirl

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 09:37 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All of a sudden I have gotten about 4-5 "lie bumps" on my tongue! When one starts to go away, another one pops up! They hurt, and I want them to go away! Is this normal, and is there anything I can do to get them to go away!

kate lynn
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 11:52 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi everyone,ive had these bumps for the longest too! i first noticed it when i was about 15!(im 17 now) i looked in the mirror and saw these white bumps all over(the back of my tongue)i cut them off and and my tongue started to bleed.but they are still there sort of like little holes now,they dont hurt when i eat they dont even bother me at all im just scared of what this is...i really dont think its herpes and nothing else has happened..so can sumone pls help me understand this??

Stevn363
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 02:55 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it seems I also have a common bond with the white bump population. Mine have usually occured on the front third of my tongue. I have never had any telltale signs of herpes(I) on my mouth, but have recently in college doing a bit of mingling. Usually they go away(they are consistent with lie bumps) within a few days, but this case has turned into about a week now. In fact one of them has turned into a tongue scab b/c I have tried so hard to remove it which usaully remedies it for me. Keep the home remedies rolling in!

CLM
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 05:21 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ashley, I have the same symptoms as you. I have about 15 small white bumps that are on the tip of my tongue. I call them inflamed taste buds but I guess "lie bumps" is another name for them. I have tried to scrape them off with my teeth and a tongue scraper to no avail. I also resorted to using tweezers to pluck them but they seem to be back the next day. I don't recommend anyone doing this but they are so bothersome that I would rather not feel them when my tongue moves across my lips.

I hope someone has a home remedy that I can use to get rid of this annoyance.

Kathleen Eckert
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 12:23 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all - I too was born with a geographical tongue, but it usually only breaks out when I eat walnuts or if I get a cold/flu type illness. Currently I have them, I've had a cold for about a week and just the last day or two my tongue was sooooo sore near the back and when I looked, sure enough I'm having an exacerbation. I also have "bald" spots on the sides of the mid-tongue; it looks smooth and there are no taste buds. The geographical tongue is different than the "white buds" or "lie bumps"; those are just taste buds that have become irritated or somehow need to shed. I have found that rinsing with sea salt (or even just plain warm salt water) helps the irritation and burning sensation. The tongue scraper won't work as there is nothing to scrape and that may even irritate the tongue worse. I've had this since early childhood and am now 36; there is nothing dangerous or herpes-like about it. They will go away, rinse in the meantime, it'll make it feel better.

hope 2 help
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 4 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 04:30 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey dudes, i get the sore white/red bumps 2... usually afta having a big wk end on drugs... i figured that it was the mouth drying up & then mayb an infection starting up or sumthing... usually wen my body goes bak 2 normal & i get fluids bak in2 me afta 2 days or so they go away... i reali think it has sumthing 2 do with the drying up of the mouth though... but then again, differnet ppl react differently 2 different thingz so we all could hav different reasons 4 our little bumps on our tongues... its such a pain... wish every1 the best of luck though with killing these budz off... i know i dnt wana liv with them 4eva.

Elliott Little
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 03:57 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I got those white, painful lumps on the end of my tongue too. They just appeared 3 days ago when I woke up. I just recently started eating a bunch of walnuts and I also finished a stir fry dish that I dumped a bunch of curry spice on. It might have something to do with the spicy curry and the walnuts being abrasive on the tongue. I noticed a couple other people cite walnuts and curry.

jennifer johansson
Username: mplskatt

Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 09:28 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey evereyone, I just got back from Australia and while I was there I had some problem with my tonsils. They felt irritated and kind of scratchy. At the same time I got a funny thing on the end of my tongue. Like a burned tastebud, like people have been describing. I've been back for over a week and my tonsils had recovered before I returned. However, just several days ago I got the burned tastebud thing again worse than ever. It's on the tip of my tongue and turned white after several days. Now I can actually see the injured tastebud sticking out from the rest of my tongue. It is driving me crazy as I can always feel that it's there. It's also impeding my enjoyment of food! I'm about to try the maalox/benadryl remedy people have suggested in this post. Only, are you supposed to coat the area with liquid benadryl or what?

RachelDare
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 05:20 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Weew... i understand how devistating it is to have strange conditions inside the mouth. Maybe we should start a Tongues are Nasty dating service ;) Seriously though... everyone keep your hopes high because the more it bothers you, the more it antagonizes you socially. Just know that your not alone and whoever loves you, loves you for YOU.. I have had terrible neck/throat conditions for a while and its frustrating b/c doctors seem clueless! My advice to you all is DRINK h2O!!! Good luck, I Love you all!

Grimes
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 08:20 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey all.

I've got a couple small bumps on the bottom of my tongue. They are painless and don't bother me but is this normal? Some of them I touch and it appears that they are loose skin. Others aren't, but are tiny clear bumps, but don't hurt. I noticed a few others mentioning bumps on the bottom of their tongues and I wanted to know if this is normal for everyone.

Thanks!

shauntae
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 11:50 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had these little bumps appear on my tongue since I was about 15 and know I'm 21. I actually have one now and just decided to try and find out what it is. I just recently had some fillings in my mouth done and after my mouth came off the medicine they were there and th've been there for a week. Please someone tell me whats up.

Pappilae
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alright. I have had an irritated tongue for about 3 weeks now. The front papillae (fungiform?) are red and slightly raised. Anytime is touches my teeth it feels irritated. The first week I had this it was so iritatted I had to stick my tongue out for like 10 minutes at a time. since then I have had about 2 of the pappilae raise and turn white....and hurt. The first one I pulled off (I know I probably shouldnt) . That one was on the front of my tongue. The second one I just got about 3 days ago and it is on the right side instead of in the front. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? no one has noticed it but me. The tip of my tongue feels burned. is this possibly from partying to much? I was drinking and smoking quite a bit recently. I have cut back and its not making much of a difference. Anyonehave any ideas? I want to be sure its not something contagious.

bumpy
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 01:09 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi , maybe somebody can tell me I have a bump on the side of my tongue and it looks kind of purple, I have been sick with a nasty cough, and a second one appeared on the top of my tongue but it's is annoying can you help?

Donna Robinson
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 6 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 04:56 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

VITAMIN B SUBLINGUAL DROPS WORKED! Occasionally, after an upset stomach, I would get these VERY painful white bumps that look like zits or pimples... but would generally go away in a week; polysporin or blistex helped with pain. Two months ago, my tongue started itching... never felt anything like it! Actually had to stick it out and scratch it:-) lol It was so not funny the next day though when I felt the sides and tip were burnt with these awful white bumps and some slits. As one would go away, another would come up elsewhere. I've had thrush before, as well as ulcers and yeast infections; this was NOT that. It did not go away until last night when, after a ton of research, someone suggested a "quick fix" of using SUBLINGUAL VITAMIN B DROPS. Two months of hell... and IMMEDIATELY no more pain. This morning, they are still gone. Drops are available at any drug store and only cost a couple of dollars. Just had to come back and post this solution... and express my sincere gratitude to whomever thought of this. Much better than waiting for vitamins/pills to work or living with it as some of you have done as doctors so easily advise!

JHL
Username: nnjneedshelp

Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 07:32 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey people. Thought i would give this a shot. About 3 weeks after I had oral sex I started getting these things only on the sides of my tongue. They have a white raise border and the center of them is either the color of the rest of my tongue or a little darker. They came and went on each side of my tongue within a few days. When I stopped drinking OJ or having food with red tomatoe sauce the problem seems to stop, however im still dealing with it since I just figured out that OJ was the culprit I believe for my last outbreak. Can this be geographic tongue that came out of nowhere? can this be canker sores? or is this herpes? Ive searched all over the net for images of herpes on the tongue and they look NOTHING like what i have, actually nothing on the net with an STD on the tongue looked like what i have. hope someone could help, my selfesteem is plunging. I hope its not from the oral sex.

JHL
Username: nnjneedshelp

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 07:47 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, the sores (if u call them that) are always circular in shape. Sometimes half moons.

Cherie Sanchez
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 09:48 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ive recently changed my barbell in my mouth and everysince then ive been getting these really pain full swollen taste buds on the tip of my tongue, is it from the new bar bell or is it what ive been eating lately?, or maybe just stress Ive had a bad cold also for a week now .
can some one tell me what I can do to make them less painfull or make them go away..

Kim Smith
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 02:32 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello...I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced these little white bumps on the tongue towards the back after taking pred forte. This I started a couple days ago when I had my lasik eye surgery done. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything regarding this and also, once I stop taking these eye drops, will these bumps go away or will I get them off and on from here on out? Thanks so much....Kim

Grimes
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 05:31 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the sake of not turning this into one question after another I'm going to try and help a few others.

For those of you who talk about the bumps on the back of your tongue - those are normal. As are the painless tiny bumps on the surface of the tongue. Those are your taste buds, and sure, they may change after eating spicy food or whatever. As for the lateral (side) of the to tongue, it is normal to have it slightly ridged towards the back. Somesort of tonsil, I don't remember the name.

However, when I try and research small bumps on the bottom, ventral surface I am striking out. I have just a few tiny bumps on the bottom of my tongue (mostly towards the tip of the underside) and I'm hoping this is normal. Again, they don't hurt, and some appear to be somewhat loose skin. Any info would be helpful.

kurt
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 05:29 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have had small white areas on the under side of my tounge and small bumps that just look like white hard taste buds that hurt for around a year and a half now. The small white patches on the bottom and sides of my tounge hurt a little bit and are there basically every day but sometimes in different locations. The white heads on top hurt more but go away after maybe 2 or 3 days and most of the time i dont have them. Is this just a geographic tongue or do i have some type of std or what? Anyone have answers or similar circumstances cause its getting on my nerves, just wont go away.

Marg
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 09:04 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I get swollen bumps at the back of my tongue and down my esophecus........I have bad acid reflux. Have to have a tube put down into my stomach in March and they have to take a biopsy. Please don't ignore these symptoms. My tongue also feels like it is burning a bit. Good luck to all of you.

Christopherceeez
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 04:55 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was kissing my girlfriend the other day. And she bit the bottom of my tongue on accident(I think). But my whole tongue has been hurting for like 4 days. It feels like its getting better though. My tongue was damaged on the bottom. Is it normal for the top taste buds to hurt when this happens? I could barely eat. But it feels like its getting better.

sandy epling
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also have a geographical tongue and it is so painful. I have been using over the counter zilactin gel on my tongue. It has a great numbing relief! It does sting (a lot) when you first apply it but oh so worth it! I found it by the tooth ache relief/cold sore medications. Hope it helps.

Ashley
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 09:40 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey everyone i got on here to look up geographical tongues because my doctor said once that i had it but i have no problem eating any type of food and have never had pain. just the other day my tongue started feeling real sore and swollen and it has little red marks on the front. is that a symptom of geographical tongue

carlytongue
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 12:03 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had geographical Tongue for about 10 years now - I'm now 25! When I first got it the DR gave me Diflucan, which helped - although now I don't use anything, I have just learnt to live with it. My tongue goes all patchy and smooth - its sore aswell. I find that it normally flares up if I am ill, such as a cold or a cough - when I have it, eating tomatoes and spicey foods make it worse! Bananas also are a problem - it comes and go but i'm used to it now and I still eat all the foods that I shouldn't!!!

Grimes
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 03:09 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone else have small bumps on the underside of their tongues?

gamma1082001
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 04:14 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All of these symptoms are just that: Symptoms. Everyone experiences this stuff when there is a change in foods, stress related situations. The best thing to do is: Drink plenty of water - at least 8 glasses a day. This will flush out all those toxins that we ingest from Prepared foods everyday.

Shinsako
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My daughter 8 yr. old daughter has Geographical Tongue. It flares up a few times a year and in the past it has become so painful and swollen that she could not eat and she dehydrated, causing her to be put in the hospital with an IV. The hospital put some type of ink? on her tongue to relieve the swelling and pain. Her's just flares up no matter what she eats, however hot/spicy/citrusy foods will cause a problem at times. You can also use Anbesol, as this will help numb your tongue to help relieve the pain. If anyone knows of anything else to use or a miracle drug, please let me know. Thanks!!!

worried girl
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 04:52 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did any single one of you experience your bumps going away? I heard they can be related to Genital Warts, and spread to your throat and lungs. I have not recieved any answers from my doctor, and it's becoming very frustrating and scary. I also heard of it possibly being Recurrant Respitory Papilloma.

lyn abel
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 09:42 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had geographical tongue all my life and I am now pushing 60. I have only run into one other person who has this condition. He told me only people with a Mediterranean decent in the linage have this problem. It is not fatal only annoying.

Rene
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 06:44 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how do you put together the maalox and benedryl mix? What type of maalox and benedryl? and do you swallow or just gargle?
I thought i might try it since I have these big bumps on the back of my tongue that look like swollen taste buds in little clusters and possibly down my throat the pain is similar to that of a sore throat and it makes swallowing difficult at times. I've been to the doctor twice about it and both said that it is due to drainage that irritates that area since it is sensitive....i also have bad allergies which cause the drainage.

Thanks for any replies

wendyl006
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 08:42 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just reading over everything here and noticed alot of questions regaurding the small white painful bumps on the front of the tounge. I have had this off and on as well as my 10 yr. old. Went to the Doc about this yrs ago and he told me these are inflammed taste buds. the cause can be varying. In my daughters case her are mostly caused by her cathcing the tip of her tounge between her bottom front teeth and pinching them there. This is very painful but will go away after a few days or so. In the mean time the best way to deal with them is to aviod hot foods or drinks and anything salty or acidic until they go away. very cold water or ice tends to comfort in the short and in between also(ora-gel works great for those nights when you cant get to sleep)Hope this helps those out there.

KattSi
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 10:14 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's what I found on the subject:

Swollen Taste Bud

information from the Atlanta Dental Group PC

A swollen taste bud can be caused by a number of things. Very hot food that burns and irritates a taste bud can cause swelling. Allergies to specific foods can also cause it. Taste buds that taste sweets are located on the tip of the tongue and salt taste buds are in the two side areas of the tongue tip. Sour taste buds are situated on the lateral sides of the tongue and bitter taste buds on the back. The area of the tongue where the swollen taste bud is located can be a sign of which taste is involved.

Dall Network
Username: dall_network

Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 06:03 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I got a Gepographical Tongue also. But it doesn't hurt or anything. I like to eat soup especially when it's still boiling. I like food to be very hot when I eat it. I don't usually eat spicy food, but when i do i don't feel anything. Just the look of my tongue that's bothering me. It is all white, with some red patches on the right side of it. And i got like a small crack in the middle. Honestly I don't feel a thing. I was wondering if there is a way were at least you can get rid of the white tongue... I read somewhere that if you clean it everyday with a tongue pallet and an oxeginated toothpaste, it will help and eventually all of this whiteness and red patches will disappear.

amy joseph
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 04:15 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my son has what docs told me was geographical tongue he is 4 and has had it since birth.they said he probably contracted it in day care and would go away eventually.but it sounds as though he will live with it forever. his symptoms are; white map like spots on tongue, soreness to acidic foods,carbonated drinks, temp hot foods,i dilute his juice and am always looking for any other advice since docs tell nothing.thankyou.

julie b
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 07:36 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

every once in a while throughout my life i will get a taste bud or two that is irritated and I will cut them off with a nail clipper and it is better. It seems though when I have gotten on antidepressants that I get one after the other and it becomes a strange obsession and I just want to keep cutting them off to make it feel better, but then it gets worse and it takes me a couple of days to convince myself to stop so it can heal. Has anyone else in the world ever had this problem?

erica t
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After eating spicy greens from a restaurant, the right side of my tongue blistered terribly. They are soooooooooo painful. After some digging and research, I am now aware that my tastebuds are inflammed. I have experienced this all of my life after eating acidic foods such as ketchup, orange juice, pineapples or sunflower seeds. I didnt know though it was my tastebuds tripping like that. Can someone please tell a sista a homeremedy that could help with the swelling and pain!!!!

Zero-nt-
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 02:32 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm yet another one of the strange people who's encountered strange bumps on the bottom of the mouth, just below the tounge. They don't hurt, but they've caused my tounge to go numb around the areas my bumps are located. I don't have any clue what started them, they just appeared out of no where. I did notice I had a bizzar ear ache all day before the bumps occurred. I'm not sure if it's related, but other people have stated they had an ear ache or soar throat just before, too. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'd go to the doctor, but I don't have insurance, so I don't want to go until I feel it's an absolute emergency :P

olja rakic
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 09:32 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello, i've been having geographicval tong for five years already....and somewhere i found that it can be due to the B2 vitamine deficiency, so, now i am taking B2, and also someone posted earlier that selen can help too, because we are not taking it in sufficient amounts...i'll let you know in few months whether it worked!

Queenie
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 04:02 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My tongue has a really big red bump on right at the back on the right side.It hurts so much that i cant eat or talk. some one please help :-(
Thankyou

anonymous
Username: ccjack

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 03:34 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A little over a week ago, I noticed that the back of my tongue felt swollen...almost as if I had burnt it. I even thought that I was getting a swollen throat. The next day, I noticed two cluster-like bumps on the right and left side of the back of my tongue. Tge pain ceased but the bumps did not. Last night, they became sore again. Has anyone had similar symptoms? I am a little worried because I have never had tongue problems before.

Yeast Or Allergies
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 09:58 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I started getting geographical tongue about a year half ago... I have been to the doctor 4 times, the allergist once and the Dentist 3 times.. only once did anyone mention I had Geographical Tongue. Mayo Clinics website says if you have geographic tongue .. "YOU MIGHT" want to be tested for Allergies or Yeast... LOVE the MIGHT.

Mike Cross
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 07:40 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

white stuff on tongue is halotosis or something you need to brush your tongue with a tongue brush no toothpaste thow. Halowhatta is bad breath because of bad oral hygeine. I got bumps on the way back of my tongue where I have to pull it out to see them but they don't hurt I'm gonna go look that up and get back to the post , (that's if I feel like it)?

Danielle Dee
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 11:06 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As far as the lie bumps are concerned, I don't know a cure, but with canker sores, my mom always had us put baking soda on our canker sores. It could work with the bumps (let me know if it does).

Wash your hands.

Just wetten the tip of your finger, get baking soda to adhere to your finger, put the baking soda directly on the canker sore. Just let it marinate there and don't drink or eat anything for a bit (you'll rinse it away). It will sting and it doesn't taste the best, but it works. Do it a couple of times a day. It should start healing up in a day or so.

I suppose you could try this on those bumps too. It might work...

tongue
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 06:02 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey grimes, i have similar bumps on my tongue and went to the doctor and they said it was completely normal, but they're sending me to a specialist to make absolutely sure, so i'll let you know...

gettingtoananswer
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 06:48 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just recently noticed the clear bumps on the underside of my tongue that other people have mentioned. I have about four of them and they start about midway up my tongue toward the tip. They seem very evenly distributed and almost perfectly symmetrical across the frenulum. So, my bet is that they are normal and probably a reaction to being dehydrated or to some other environmental factor (I know we have minor salivary glands on the underside of the tongue and I'm betting mine are just inflamed for some reason).

If anyone has been to see a doc for this and has an answer it would be great if they could post it. I'm gonna wait 2 weeks (though i don't know how long they've even been there cause I just discovered them) and see if they diminish. If they don't I'll go see my PCP and post the results.

Notdepressed Burntongue
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 03:16 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I just thought that I would mention I have these swollen taste buds from the middle being small to all the way back ugly looking bigger bumps. Also a feeling like I burned it with coffee. I noticed it the day after eating a roll and a half of candy bottle caps. The citric acid in mountain dew does not help my situation at all. I am going to get some of those vitamin B drops and see what happens. Also wondering if anti- depressants may have made me more susceptible to this problem? I have been taking 4 per day for a couple of months.

tiffany rogers
Username: tiffany

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 11:07 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can u get ur tongue pierced if u have geographical tongue??

N. Burntongue
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 08:12 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I spoke with a doctor last night. He tells me that I have just irratated my tongue and it should go away on its own. After reading these blogs, I was a little leary to believe that Geographical tongue is something I would have to be born with. I also trust that he is right. I recollect the day after a roll and a half of bottle caps, having 2 bowls of cap n crunch for breakfast. I noticed the burning tongue after break that night of which I had peaches and the heavy syrup, along with some mixed nuts. I also remember having a very hot sip of coffee on one of the days. I am still trying the vitamin b drops, multi vitamins and fish oil because I have never had my entire tongue burn like this before. The taste buds do appear to be getting smaller. I also must believe that it will get better. Meanwhile, I am not laying off the anti-depressants because this is the first time ever that they appear to be working.

Ann Shepp
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 05:23 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last night I noticed a lump in the middle of my tongue. It is about one inch from the tip, under the surface of the tongue tissue. There is no visible sign from the top or bottom. When I hold my tongue between my fingers, I can feel the lump. It feels like the size of a pea. It is sore. I also have a fever blister on my lip, and a sore throat which I believe is unrelated but worth mentioning.The tongue doesn't seem to be swelling nor the lump increasing in size since discovery almost 24 hours ago. It is located in the area of the tongue that a piercing would be, although I have never had one. Can anyone tell me what this could be?

Ann Shepp
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 07:54 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saturday night, I also noticed a lump on my pallet in addition to the one in the middle of my tounge. However,the one on my tounge seemed to slowly be getting smaller. I planned on going to the Dr. on Monday because of my worried on-line friends concerns. By Monday they were both almost gone. Now Tuesday, I cannot tell they were even there! My only though of what this may have been is possibly allergy related....

Ann Shepp
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 08:13 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

N. Burntongue, the vitamin b drops, multi vitamins and fish oil couldn't hurt! Just try and hold off of the acidic and salty foods, and let your coffee cool down a bit more. I've never heard of anti-depressants use causing side-affect like those. It is wise for you too continue taking them if they are working for you! Take care, and good luck to you! ---Ann

N. Burntongue
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The burning became so irratating that I tried the magic mouthwash. I used the cherry maalox and benadryl-d kids grape syrup half and half for 2-3 minutes, then spit it out. It actually was the only thing that would numb the pain for about an hour if you dont eat or drink anything.
About 5 days later, after gargling 3-4 times a day the burning has stopped and the bumps have become smaller again. This episode lasted about 15 days, hopefully never again. By the way, maximum strength anbesol did nothing for the pain.

Pat Nelson
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 01:15 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some small white bumps on the underside of my tongue... about half way and to the tip. They are red around the outside and they are painless. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the heck they were because its bothering me. It may possible have something to do with braces because I have braces and it didn't do it before i got them.

Melissa C
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 06:37 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Trying to be Helpful. I am getting over strept and I have had bumps appear on my tounge that hurt a little...feels burnt..but isn't. I believe it is from the virus and the fact I was sucking on so many throat/cough drops including Fisherman's Friend which I believe irritated my tounge (helped the cough though). I also get the clear bumps on the bottom of my tounge from time to time and believe it is from acidic drinks and fruits. This is a self diagnosis... didn't go to the doctor.

kelly cannon
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 01:24 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also have bumps on the underside of my tongue. therealso seems to be some loose skin there. it is very weird. i noticed it because i got this weird bump on the inside of my bottom lip, looks like a zit. i'm wondering if i should see a doctor, it's been there for about a week. and the stuff under my tongue could have been there for years as this is the first time i have really inspected it.
any help would be great, and if you know what type of doctor you are supposed to go to for this type of thing please let me know.

Anonymous man 25
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 03:44 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the white bumps are called papillae look it up on the internet. They are usually harmless.

Dave Roberts
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 08:21 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am of Meditteranean descent & am now 36 years old. I have 3 kids (one more on the way!)my youngest just develpoed geographical tongue. My wife was horrified when the Dr. told her this. When she got home & told me, I said " I have a vivid memory of my mother asking my Dr. when I was about 4 what my "toungue circles" were" & he said it was geographical tongue, not to worry, but I am probably anemic & should be given B vitamin supplements. I have experienced these my whole life, I had never tied them to diet, but after reading this I can say outbreaks are related to depressed immune & stress more than diet for me. I have no remedy other than time. I also have genetil herpes, regular herpes (severe cold sores) & have had genital warts. I think there is a common virus (the professionals do not agree). I also cannot determine where I may have contracted genital herpes as I have had a very limited sex partnership, I think it is hereditery (research does not support this).

Gail Stockel
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 10:52 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too have bumps on the back of my tongue that seem swollen and is causing me to gag. My tongue is also slightly coated. Any thoughts?

StephanieElaine
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 12:24 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when I eat something really hot and burn my tongue i get inflammed tastebuds and i bite them until they are bitten off, well on the way home from the store I noticed on the very tip of my tongue was what felt like an inflammed taste bud, but i had not burnt my tongue or anything. I get "lie bumps on the sides of my tongue all the time and they bother me bunches but anyway the bump on the tip of my tongue is really big and red, and it hurts a bit when I move my tongue on the surface of my mouth, does antone know how to make it go away fast?

maria carmona
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i keep making saliva like crazy and when i eat it hurts what is wrong with me and how do i get it off?

Glo Maloney
Username: angel911mo

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 06:19 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My doctor, my dermatologist, and my dentist all agree I have a Geographical Tongue. It didn't show up until I was 30 (am now 36). No family history. Am not Mediteranian.
The doc, dermatologist & dentist have not offered a remedy. They all tell me it is benign and harmless...like so many of you have been told.
Someone asked earlier if you can have your tongue pierced. I did. I ended up taking out the barbell because I cracked my tooth on it. Quite frankly, I would have removed it anyway, because the GT seem to get worse with time. It embarrasses me.
Thank you to whoever mentioned the Maalox & Benedryl. I read that on another website also. The other site said to mix it half & half, swish in mouth & spit. Am going out tomorrow to get the two & try. Will let you all know how it turns out.
As for the sublingual Vitamin B...will try also. We all need more of that anyway.
Spicy foods don't seem to be a big deal, but citris & salt have been.
Mine is so bad that it makes me talk a little funny sometimes...which can be annoying when you are a 911 operator!
In reference to the little bumps under you tongue & on the end: I get that, too. I just either bite them or use a pin to pop them. I get instant relief. I'm pretty sure this is a normal reaction to citris (not just lemon and orange, but tomatoe is a killer also!).
This is the first I have heard about carbonated soda making it worse. I do drink a LOT of Coke. If my body doesn't go through too many withdraws, I will try to drink more water...need to anyway.
If any of you have success, please let me know. We freaks need to stick together! Ha!
Thanks & good luck!

Jennifer McDonald
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 05:26 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My tongue is very...well..odd. I've always had these little tiny bumps on my tongue, ever since I was born I've had them. The thing is...they're only on one side of my tongue. The rest of my tongue is completely fine! Actually, now that I think about it, they're more "little bits of skin". I have thousands of them! I swear. I don't know how to get rid of them and I find it really emabrassing when i go to teh doctors for something. Does anyone know any information on what I'm talking about?

Lara
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 06:49 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys, I was born with a GEOGRAPHICAL TONGUE. I am now 25, and there is no sign of it ever going away. It stings when I eat acidic foods, such as pineappe (2nd biggest killer), banana's, tomato, OJ, and others. I cannot even think about eating/ingesting french dressing, and when I taste a drop of Balsamic vinigar, I could swear someone put either hydrochloric or nitric acid in the bottle. After french (especially) dressing and balsamic vinegar, I cannot even talk for a few hours. (My) Geographical tongue CAN be very painfull, however the majority of the time it doesn't bother me.

I have read that GEOGRAPHICAL TONGUE is CAUSED by a lack of various vitamin B's - esp B2, B6 and B12. It might also be a deficiency of iron (found in red meats) or folate (found in yeast, green leafy vegies, carrots, peanuts, avocado). I have also read that it can occure in people who are anaemic (less than normal amount of red blood cells).

As for HOME REMEDIES. Something that most people have in their fridge is CUCUMBER. If I eat some cucumber after a mild 'attack', it tends to ease the pain,and cools it down. Watermellon is another 'cooling' agent. I have heard that SAGE leaves help. I haven't really tried that, but it is supposed to work.

On the subject of all those RED AND WHITE BUMPS - to a certain degree, your tongue is supposed to be red and white and lumpy - they are generally called your taste buds, and yes, even the ones under your tongue CAN be taste buds. Before you panic about any red and white lumps on your tongue, I would jump on the net and have a quick squizz about your taste buds. If you think you have something other than taste buds on your tongue, you should maybe see your doctor.

I read one of the postings about getting your tongue pierced with a geographical tongue - I can't see why not.

All the information I have provided is from my own experience with geographical tongue, what I have learnt as part of my degree, and what I have read on the internet.

I hope this helps some people.

annonoymous
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 12:00 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have had a geographical tongue since i was born. people who see it often make fun of me and its terribly embarssing and i hate that i cant eat alot of salty hot or acidy foods. iis there anything i can buy for my tounge to make it not geographical anymore?

melanie rose
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 11:46 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 19 and have had a geographical tounge my entire life, i find though that no matter how much brushing or flossing or scraping many people (boyfriends) have mentioned on numerous occasions that i have bad breath... i am wondering if this is a part of the condition, only b/c i have spent 20 min brushing and my mouth still stinks. i am a heavy smoker but so is my boyfriend. somebody please help

Upset teenager!
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 07:37 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q: how is when you kiss someone with a geographical tongue? And how does it feel when you with your geographical tongue kisses someone...???

I've had my geographical tongue ALL my life! And it really sucks!!! I try never to open my mouth to wide for people to see my tongue...(Some1 please find a cure) And everytime I eat acid things my tongue burns like HELL!I never saw someone else with a tongue like mine yet but it's good to know there are ppl with tongues like mine out there in the world LOL. The worst part is I'm to scared to kiss. What if they get totally grossed out or something by the feeling of my tongue? :*( This sucks :*(

I HATE MY TONGUE and it bothers me!

Ang H
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:51 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I heard that geo tongue could be caused by lack of vits, or alleriesandviruses. I recently went to the doctor and right when I popped out my tongue he said thatsgeogpahictongue, and its causes by a virus. Ithink everybodys tongue has those red bumps at the very back near the tonsils. Trust me Ive been looking at all the possible tongues that I can ever since I got this, and every one has them. When it 1st started only the sides and tip of my tongue had oval or circular shaped flat spots on it as if my taste bids were gone. That was the 1st 3weeks or so. Now its been about 2months and they are all over from then tip to the middle of my tongue. Some people say that they have flat pink spots with some times white borders surrounding them that disappear when they treat them with something that they heard helps. I believe this is true because I tried brushing my tongue more than usual because I heard it helped. It made my spots burn more but the white lines diappeared. I do really believe thatits Geographic tongue because its looks the same as all the pictures Ive came across about geo tongue. Most of you sound like you have the same problem but have no clue. Try looking in all the search engines you can on the net for images. It may help. I have a Problem with certain foods also and it sucks. Mostly Fruits with high acidic levels and salty stuff. Now I dont use any thing on it and eat whatever I want. I guess we all just have to learn to live with it. Hope I have helped.

STEFANY LANG
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 02:47 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I HAVE BUMPS IN THE BACK OF MY TONGUE, TOO! I AM A SMOKER SO THIS BOTHERS ME A BIT. I AM GLAD THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH QUESTIONS REGARDING THE BUMPS.

Glo Maloney
Username: angel911mo

Post Number: 2

Rating: 

Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 03:23 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello again! I am soooo excited!!
Well, I tried the Maalox & Benadryl...I noticed a difference right away!! I had read that it would take 1-2 weeks to notice, but not in my case.
Mix 1 tsp Maalox with 1 tsp liquid Benadryl, swish in mouth for about 1 minute, then spit out. Is safe to do this several times a day.
I notice a tingle when I use it.
I've been using the "mouthwash" for almost a month and my tongue looks normal for the first time in 6 years!!
I have also cut down on the Coke and other carbonated drinks. I gotta say, I was drinking so much of it that I didn't notice how much it effected the GT.
I still haven't tried the B-12, but plan on it.
I recommend the 1/2 Maalox + 1/2 Benadryl to all of you!! You can use the generic, which is quite cheap. The ingredients are safe...but be sure not to swallow too much Benadryl. What do you have to lose?
Good luck!

Jen C
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 02:05 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to the dentist for a routine exam and he noticed a few slightly raised whitish flat bumps along the left side of my tounge and i have this pea sized bump on the very very back of my tounge that I noticed the other day (because ive been totally freaking out) I was looking on the web and white spots (especially on the side of your tounge could be a sign of oral cancer.... does anyone know anything about this? Im going to the oral surgeon in a month so he can get a biospy to see what it is. Should i be worried? im not a smoker or drinker, never have been. and im female and 25. Also the bumps do not hurt

gabrielle
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 11:54 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello i really need help, like two days ago i noticed a little white bump on the tip left side of my tongue yesterday i was biting it all day, when i woke up this morning it got twice as big. It really hurt especially when i slide it across my mouth. My mom said it was a whitehead? I am really scared. I hope it is nothing big. Can someone help me?

Holding my tongue in Texas
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 01:49 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I have read all the above regarding Geographical tounges. I first noticed my husband's tongue was different when we were dating. I accused him of having "cooties" and to get it checked out. He said "It was nothing." After a trip to the dentist, we learned he had what is called a "Geographical Tongue", which told us nothing. There is no factual scientific evidence supporting a cause or cure that I have been able to find. I'm sorry to hear that some experience an occasional burning sensation and others only discomfort when eating or drinking certain foods. My husband has never had no other symptoms orther that the "road map" tongue. I recently became really curious because after 5 years of marriage, we have a daughter and wouldn't you know it, my Princess, has a "geographical tongue" just like her daddy. I'm afraid she may have some of the ailing symptoms like the painful, burning sensations that I have read about. At first I thought it was cute because alot of unimportant people would make comments like "oh your daughter looks nothing like her father." I learned to hold my own tongue to avoid additional conflict. I would just say to my infant daughter, "Stick your tongue out at them." Not that she would; she was only a newborn. In our family, until now, it's been somewhat comical. Now I worry for her - if pain occurs, How will I know, she's only 6 1/2 months?

hollyholyhooly
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 05:30 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ANSWER TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS!!

A swollen taste bud can be caused by a number of things. Very hot food that burns and irritates a taste bud can cause swelling. Allergies to specific foods can also cause it. Taste buds that taste sweets are located on the tip of the tongue and salt taste buds are in the two side areas of the tongue tip. Sour taste buds are situated on the lateral sides of the tongue and bitter taste buds on the back. The area of the tongue where the swollen taste bud is located can be a sign of which taste is involved. A swollen taste bud can occur from continually eating spicy foods which constantly overstimulate these sense organs. Trauma from biting the tongue can result in taste bud swelling.

AndreaM
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 04:33 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just noticed Friday that I had these little bumps that are located on the left and right top back part of my tongue. They outline the area where my tonsils sit on my tongue. They appear to be the same color as my tongue. Also with it I had a cold a few wks ago and ever since I have been producing extra mucus and coughing it up and it feels like my throat is all itchy and scratchy. And now they bumps appeared. I don't smoke and rarely drink. Any one have any ideas of what it may be?

Baby_Girl_2001
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 11:07 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I first had a white bumb on the tip of my tongue and it hurt so i thought i would wait a while and it went away but the pain spread throuhout my whole tongue and i couldnt even hardly sleep last night it was so bad but hears the catch my tongue looks normal! Tell me what am i supposed to do!!

whineybutte
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 04:17 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello you all! Well I seem to be having the same problem as many of you do. For about 3and a half months now I have had large white splotchy patches on both sides of my tongue and the "lie bumps" with white tops too! They are both extremely painfull all of the time. I have seen 4 different Dr.s and none of them seem to know what it is exactly or why I have it. I am very frustrated as you can imagine. My 10 year old daughter started with the same symptoms about a month after I did, so I wonder if it is not contagous??? I have taken meds for herpes and acid reflux and neither helped at all. I have always had the "lie bumps" off and on occasionally, but never this severe. I am gonna try the maalox/benedryl swish to see if that helps me and my daughter. Thanks for all the info. This is actually getting pretty scary!!!

Todd
Username: hello

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 03:43 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one clear/white bump on the tip of my tongue it goes away then comes back periodicaly. It hurts when it comes in but doesnt when its done. What is this?

Gemma B.
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 06:22 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been wondering what is up with my tongue lately, toward the back the tastebuds are like yellowish/whitish. I can't seem to brush it away. It doesn't hurt but it looks weird to me. It's been here for like 2 weeks now.

RJ
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 08:59 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey all..i have something interesting for you all...i recently (this year) noticed i had white rings on my tongue which i though to be ringworm! im a wrestler and this looked exactly like it. It started out one ring....then later on multiple rings at a time.Jst of doing research online i found it to be geo. tongue. my dermatologist said i cant do anything about it. however, just this past week i got a sore throat that lasted about 3 days and on the last day i got the white bumps on my tongue. they are mainly in the center, but it seems liek they can appear anywhere. they do hurt quite a bit, i did however drink with my buddies the night they appeared. so perhaps ther acidity of the beer and vodka triggered it. i do notice that wheni drink LOTS of water and am weel hydrated and have lots of B vitamins in me, that the sores tend to be less violent. i never exopereince bleeding. AND DONT CUT THEM OFF. thats stupid. but yea...anyone with a similar case??? just thought id add my story. (PS i just got geo tongue and im 18)

RJ
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 08:32 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, sop i just posted recently, but my lie bumps are gone and i remebered that i had eaten some extremley spicy food prior to the bumps...well i alyed of acidic and spicy food for a few days and the bumps are near obsolete....on theother hand i have about 5 or so rings (the geogrpahic tongue) that were still out and about and burnt more so than usual. most people complain of numbness and i just get the butrning sensation. in acny case today i had hit the gym for the first time in two weeks and the pain was pretty much gone, and hours later it still is, leading me to teh conclusioon that its not just adrenaline.this morning they were still hurting pretty bad too. SOOO my advice to all of you....EXCERSISE and lots of H2O!!!! and you will propaly see great results! seems like thoes two arethe most highly recommended treatmetns for alot of things....maybe its a pattern...

TMGore
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 01:29 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had these darn white bumps all throughout my life (i'm 43 now). My mom, sisters and now my own 2 daughters get them 2. They are always on the sides of my tongue, white & patchy and very very sore. I tend to obsessively bite on them and then I get a huge knot/bump underneath that is terribly painful. I wish I knew what to do about this nuisance...this time I got one, lasted a few days, finally started healing and went away and then immediately got a new one right next to the old one. I guess I'll try the benadryl/maalox trick. Anyone else have any ideas?

meri ann
Username: pasha

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 08:58 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just nocticed (and it may have always been this way) that my tounge is not symettrical. The line in the middle of my tounge seems to be off center. Is this normal?

meegs
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 10:28 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ive recently had bad tonsilitis and i had swollen tastebuds on the tip of my tongue, it burnt like hell and it was hard to eat. it hurt to just rub against my teeth sometimes i'd sit there with my tongue hangin out for some relief. they went away within 4 - 5 days.. they have now returned, it was about a week later and i have now had them for 3 days, my doctor said it has got to do with being run down, and being stressed. dont try and bite them off, and dont put ulcer ointment on them, that makes them worse. at the moment im sitting wit my tongue out hoping they will go soon!

Kevin Cook
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had the problem with the little white bumps for years now, they are iritating as hell for a week or more (longer if you are a smoker). I am not sure what causes them and what they are. My dentist does not agree with my doctor and the oral specialists doesn't argree with either of the two. They have been called thrush, lie bumps and a few other sientific names I can bearly pronounce let alone spell. The one thing that all three agree on is that they can be cause by stress, sleep depervation, dehydration and consumption of soda, salty/spicy foods, as well as food aditive allergies. I have even been told that they can be cuased by both the flu and antobiotics when treating an illness.

I have done everything from pulling them off with tweezers, cutting them with nail clippers, and even "shaved" the tip of my tounge with a bic razor. I certainly would not recomend any of these "home remedies" to anyone, but those that have experienced the soar white bumps and the feelling of a burnt tounge can share my sense of desperation for the irritation to cease. I do have a remedy that clears up the soars in a few days. First, gargle with good old hydrogen peroxide. Yes...hydrogen peroxide!!! Many people forget that peroxide is not only a topical soulution, but also a first aid antiseptice oral cleanser and don't worry kids, it's pretty much tastless. Now I must warn you, you will feel a very new and somewhat painful felling (trust me,it works) that literally feels like the bumps are bursting on your tounge. The feeling at time feels like the pins and needles feeling when your foot has been asleep for a few hours. Now swish the hydorgen peroxide in your mouth for as long as you can stand the sensation (my wife jokes that I am crying becuase my eyes water so much) spit and rinse.Depending on how bad the bumps are I sometimes follow this up with mouth wash, but oh my god does it ever burn but in the "I know this is working" kind of burn. Gargling with peroide relieves the pain for a few hours after each session and leaves your mouth very very clean allowing for your body to heal itself. Do this four to fives times a day and the problem goes away, as well as a nice side affect, the oxygenating affect tends to whiten your teeth. How about that, about 1.98 for hydorgen peroxide compared to 20.00 for the latest and greatest teeth witener from Colgate.

I have not tried the vitamin B sublungual drops, but I assure you I will ceartainly give it the old college try.

Good luck and please remeber, tweezers are for splinters, clippers are for your nails, and razors are for....hell you know where I am going with this...good luck and for gods sake, go see a doctor if the problem perists longer then a week.

HELP IF U CAN
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 01:46 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the past few days I have noticed a couple very small bumps. I don't have geo tounge at all. Almost looks like small facial pimples on the tounge. They come and go. Usually at night they appear more. In the morning there gone. They are painful at time.

I usually eat my food very fast when Its hot. So I first diagnosed it as a burnt tounge. Now I'm beginning to think diffrent. I have allergies reguarding pollin and such, but my nose is not stuffed up at all.

Its not so much as a painful feeling but just sore. I'm 18.. I have been smoking for years now ;(. When I have a smoke they appear and are more visible.

There on the sides and the tip. (None in the back at all.)

Yea i'm sexually active, but i'm guessing this has nothing to to with that.

My throat is some what sore (kind of red and flemmy at times, although not much.) I maybe had 1 the first day then spread to about 5 or more. Like i said they come and go through out the day. No idea if its my diet, or the foods im eating. How i'm beginning to be more active in the gym.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU HAVE OR HAD SIMILAR SYMPTOMS! THANKS

clare thompson
Username: claretwin

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 08:13 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TWEEZERS! CLIPPERS AND RAZORS?? OH MY GOD! LOL.
DOES PEROXIDE REALLY WORK? COS MY 4YR OLD SON HAS CHRONIC GEOGRAPHICAL TOUNGE AND IT CRACKS AND BLEEDS AT NIGHT. HES ON VITAMINS TOPICAL LIDEX GEL AND STEROID CREAMS ECT. BUT NOTHING IS WORKING SO FAR. REPLY BACK PLS KEV X

crazy tongue
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 03:22 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am another one with Geographical tongue and this is the first time i have seen that other people also suffer from this condition. This makes me feel a whole lot better!
I have had this for 10 years and i am now 25 years old. At first i went to many Doctors who just looked at it and just said "Dunno", then was finally referred to a specialist who could only tell me the name and that i would have to ignore it and maybe one day it would go away. Great help huh!
This only suggests to me that more research needs to be done on this.
As a teenager i found GT to be very embarassing, i was very careful how i talked in case someone saw it, but with age it is VERY slowly getting better and i am learnt to deal with it.
My Father had GT when he was younger, so it seems that it carried on through me.
From my experience...limit salty and acidic foods,
brush your tongue every day and use a non alcohol mouth wash twice a day. I also find chewing gum helps them to clear up faster.
Just to clear up any worries.... you can't pass this on through kissing.

Josh
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 02:49 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to red bumps (almost like pimples) on the back of my tongue. They are on both sides on top. They aren't in the middle. They don't hurt, they just bother me, and i've coughed up these white curd -looking things. That and my breath litterally smells like crap no matter how mant times i brush my teeth. Also, my throat feels a little swollen. Does anyone know what this could be. I know it isn't AIDS.

vraeden
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 02:10 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woohoo! I've been in the Geo Tongue club for my 26-27 years of life too! Spicy foods have never bothered me, but too much of any extreme ingredient such as sugar from chocolate caramel Hersey kisses or salt from Fritos on just one side of my mouth causes it to flare up and hurt.

I've gotten clear bumps on the bottom of my tongue twice now...weird.

Danijel
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 04:59 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi, i have some red leisons on my tongue and some white coating around it, It's very noticable when I get up in the morning. I went to one doctor and she said i have fungal infection and then i went to other doctor,he said it's geographic tongue and its not fungal infection. Im wondering who to believe ? What's the difference between geographic tongue and fungal infection?

Anadja
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 01:17 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey!! I seem to have the same problem as many of you. I have little red bumps on the tip of my tongue that feel worse than a burnt tongue. I had them for about 5 days when a white one popped up. I've been using the "magic mouthwash" for about 2 days and it just seems to be getting worse...any suggesstions???

hopedavies
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 01:06 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey dudes recently i had a sore throat and frequent headaches after about 3-4 days i started getting these little red lumps on the back of my throat and they are a really annoying mei've tried gargling and if feel nervous to eat or drink somtimes because my throat hurts so much

Mike Cyr
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 04:24 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the small bumps on my tongue too. When i eat food with lots of acid (Cookies)it burns the tongue. I'm quite sure this is a allergic reaction to the tongue of different foods. I'm allergic to lots of foods and break out in hives on my body.

Mia K
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 07:43 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey everyone, after reading all these posts I see that a couple people have had the same problem as me. A couple of days ago I woke up with blister like bumps all over the back and back sides of my tongue. They hurt and are very irritated. As soon as they start to feel better, I find another new one. I am very worried and have been searching through the internet endlessly.
Does anyone know what this could be from, or what I can do to treat it? Any information and/or advice is more than greatly appreciated.

sha'dae abbott
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 08:25 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i went into the hospital for phenmonia one day and my friends baby had thrush .. well i had asked my doctor what it looked like and he said geographical tongue.. but... i mean i have a couple bumps and its a weird color in the far back of my tongue and i seem to have bad breath alot more then normal people and i brush my teeth and my tongue all the time.. could you possibly tell me what is wrong?

July Moon
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All, I was reading your comments about your problems because my >2 y old neice now has this. I was diagnosed with geographical tongue when I was a teenager and I cannot remember the last time I actually had symptoms of it. I do know that my mother used to give me b-vitamin complex pills and I still take them every day along with a multi-vitamin. I drink lots of water and I only eat spicy foods occasionally..that's when I get the irritating bumps on the tip of my tongue and once in a while, the sides. I get more of them if my body is rundown from lack of sleep, illness and poor diet choices and less if I am basically healthy. I was checking to see if anyone had any ideas for kids because I don't think giving adult vitamins to children is a viable idea. I do use the peroxide mouthwash because alcohol based rinses do give me more of the little bumps and they rarely taste good, just be careful not to swallow the peroxide and it is a bad idea to give that to kids too. Mix it half and half w/water and rinse with water when you are done. Don't rinse too long or you will get white patches on your gums as well.

JlynnPowers
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 08:36 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I have had a red bump on the top/side of my tongue ever since I had my wisdom tooth filled at the dentist. Four doctors later, and I am still experiencing the irritation. I am not sure if it is all due to rubbing on the tooth or a reaction to teh silver filling but it is driving me nuts. Has this ever happened to anyone out there?

Kitten
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 01:10 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had clear bumps that turned a slight white-ish color after some time on the bottom of my tongue. They are painless but they recur often in the same spot. About a month ago they reappeared in the exact same spot and have been there for a month now. No change in size except it sometimes feels like it gets smaller but when I look in the mirror they look the same. When my husband looked earlier he noticed that there is a few more bumps now but nowhere near as big as the other ones. A few days ago I got one of the "lie bumps" on the side of my tongue but I've had those before also, swollen tastebud that has been irritated by a pointy tooth. I know I don't have any STDs, I was tested for all of that when I was pregnant. I just had a baby 6 months ago and I don't recall having these bumps before I was pregnant with him but it's possible that I did and just didn't notice them. They sometimes get sore but I thought that was caused by them rubbing against my teeth when I stick out my tongue. I don't feel sick and my mouth doesn't feel irritated at all. I of course did research online and looked up oral cancer (big mistake) and made myself paranoid. I also looked up oral thrush, geographical tongue, canker sores/cold sores, and every other blister/bump related oral problem you could possibly think of but found NOTHING that looks like what I have.

Does ANYONE know what this is and how I could possibly treat it? I don't have insurance so going to the doctor is a last resort (I will if it doesn't go away though) but any advice or suggestions on what to do would be appreciated. I noticed other people talking about bumps under their tongues and was wondering if any of you found out what it is yet?

lilian alvarez
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 02:25 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok, i have a dumb question. i am the biggest worry wart ever!!! but, on my tongue it looks normal. but then when i brush it doesent get completly pink or red. its a mix of pink and a lil white. i'v looked at all my bros and sis's mom and dads tongue comparing theres to mine and theres looks almost the same. is it normal to have a little white on your tongue

Nichole
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i went to the doctor friday and asked him what was wrong with my tounge and he told me i have geographical tounge. (I really thought he just made it up off the top of his head) But he told me to take prenatal vitiamns, and to brush my tounge, or use a tonge scraper. He also told me that it can be caused by foods like citrus fruits, stress and maybe even a girls period. But I just started doing what he told me so i will come back and tell you if it works for me!!!

Percy Skelly
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just told I have geographical tongue. My tongue feels swollen all the time, plus I have had a sore throat for three months. It feels like a lump is in my throat and I have hard time breathing and swallowing. Is this normal with Geographical tongue? Today I left a message asking her take a biopsy to make sure I do not have mouth/throat cancer. I also have a lot of pain in my arms and are tied all the time. Can everyone tell me if they have any of these symptoms? I have had all kinds of test, some were for anemia, yeast infection, thyroid. There were more but I can not remember them.

knh
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 08:19 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had these bumps on the back of my tongue and down my throat for almost three months.The ones on my throat feels like there is something stuck and I keep swallowing and it just stays there.does anyone else have this feeling? I'm going to the doctors tommorrow so I'll let you guys know what it is or might be.

Jwinslc
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 28 years old and I've had geographic tongue since I was 11. At this point, I no longer get the white circles that move around, my tongue is completely raw and I have several cracks up and down. I also have indentations all along the edge of my tongue from clenching my teeth at night. In August I started getting the white circles that move on the inside of my lower lip and gums and it moves around as well. So I wonder if my gums and other soft tissue will be raw one day too! I've read on other sites that stress, trauma, and a vitamin B deficiency are the reasons. I am an extremely healthy person, I run and each a lot of fruits and vegetables and have never had any other illnesses, so I have no idea how I got this. I think I'm going to try a vitamin B supplement and see how it works.

12ay12ay
Username: 12ay12ay

Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 10:02 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

to all you people who have tongue problems.Geographical tounge is totally different with the white looking bumps located behind the tongue and some what on the tonsils. the bumps are painless and i believe they are swollen taste buds. I do too have this problem and my breath has been getting worse. Every Dr. says something problem but they just dont make sense.to the people who have the small clear pimp like blister on the tip of your tongue, dont worry no harmful thing, its just a small painful pimple that will go away less then 3 days.to the people who were worrried about the clear bubble like pimples under the tongue that have excess skin handing , dont worrry everyone has that, its part of your tongue.now i have answered almost all yor peoples question but can someone help me out please!!!!!!!!! only a few pple have my problem but so far know body knows mine. Hopefully hydroproxide will work.

Net
Username: net

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 03:53 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had this taste on my tongue for months now, it is kinda like a metallic taste, but also like my tongue has been burnt, it comes and goes. Some people have told me that it could be from my filling. Also I have these 2 bumps on the back of my tongue, they has always been the so I assume they are taste buds, but one of them is white like a pimple, does not hurt though. anyone else have this happen? Any advice?

net
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 12:12 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the white bump things on the back of my tounge too. Also like a kinda burning metallic taste on my tounge. Some times it goes away(the taste) but not very often, anyideas what it could be?

WildFlower
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 07:40 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am writing this because I think it will offer you some solutions.. hopefully. It’s my belief that all of you can have normal mouths.

First off.. someone mentioned bad breath… even after brushing lots and lots… It may be that you have a digestion problem.. something in your digestive tract. I would go to the doctor and see what is up. If the doctor says your fine.. keep insisting for tests.. or a different doctor maybe one that specializes in the digestive tract.. If another dead end then go to a natural type doctor.. just see what they say.

It’s my belief that there are fixes for most of what all of you are going through.. not sure about the geographical tongue.. never heard of it.. but, you might as well try what I am going to say…. ( I mention a possible solution for this below.. as my niece may have had this)

Sometimes we get these problems because our bodies are just simple unhealthy. You can change that.. like quite smoking, quite drinking lots of alcohol and Drink LOTS of water!! Don’t drink more than a gallon of water a day.. too much water can be actually be deadly. Only about a ½ to ¾ a gallon a day for most adults. Distilled water is the best.

Drinking lots of water is key. I have doctors comment to me, just by looking at me and ask “You drink lots of water don’t you?, I can tell because your skin glows”

Here are some tips:

I have always suffered from mouth ulcers.. BUT, they have never been a big deal, just an inconvenience. I googled pictures (“mouth ulcers” in image search) and felt so bad for those people!! Here is my trick that I don’t believe anyone mentioned.

Mouth Ulcers:
Salt!!!! I put salt directly on the sore. OUCH! But worth it!!! Depending on how big you let the ulcer get.. the salt will hurt more. So, I try and do it immediately after the ulcer shows up! The ulcer won’t hurt so bad when I place salt right on it.. Use a Q-Tip, wet it with water and dip it in salt, then apply the salt right on the ulcer. Then I close my lips and take the pain, sometimes I push the salt around from the outside of my lip or cheek. If I forget and let the ulcer get bigger then it hurts a lot more.. I mentally go into my happy place LOL LOL LOL until I can’t stand it anymore. THEN I do it again!!! This seems to be important.. but, you will be happy to know that the second time usually isn’t as bad as the first. I notice that if I do forget and let it get bigger, it seems to spread to another close section in my mouth, then I can easily end up with 2 or 3 ulcers. That really sucks!!!

I apply the salt in the morning and at night before bed. If it’s really bad I will do it 3 times. I find relief in it afterward. I think the salt kills the bacteria or whatever is causing it. My teenage son has been getting the ulcers too every now and again.. He does the salt thing too and it works for him. Just remember to apply salt when the first signs show, the ulcer will be very small and it won’t hurt hardly at all, that’s why it’s easy to forget about it, but don’t. It usually goes away in a few days unless it’s bigger then about a week.

Other Mouth & Tongue Issues:
My throat was swollen, I thought I had something like strep throat but, the doctor had told me I was fine.. just rinse with Hydrogen peroxide (by itself if you can stand it) or mix ½ and ½ with mouth rinse. I did this and it seemed to work. Whenever I feel sick or are sick, like I have the sick smelling breath, I do this and it really helps. I also drink lots of hot tea to help my throat’s swelling.

Also, My 10 year old niece had white blotches on her tongue.. it scared me ‘cause it looked bad and contagious! (Maybe this is that geographic tongue.. I googled it in images and her tongue looked like that) I took her to my doctor and he said to rinse with Hydrogen peroxide (by itself if you can stand it) or mix ½ and ½ with mouth rinse. Again!! It worked.

The problem with Hydrogen Peroxide is that it bubbles up, like on a cut. So, imagine it doing that in your mouth.. foam comes out.. like a rabid dog. Of coarse it’s killing the bacteria so, I do it a few times. I usually rinse with water after.. ‘cause I don’t like it. WARNING: DO NOT DRINK IT!!!! Read the label.

Basic Health:
Your body may be acidic… pretty much, if you don’t eat a lot of veggies.. then you probably are.. Meats, Nuts, Breads, Coffee, Sugar, Soda, Artificial Sweetener are all acidic.. I suggest reading up on Ph balancing your bodies! Trust me I am NO vegetarian.. so, what I have done is cut back on bread, and alkalize my water… you can buy drops to put in the water.. or put in Baking Soda.. just a little.. it makes it taste funny… buy Ph strips to test it.. pool supply store.. – Look into this option. One major sign that you are acidic is if you are overweight OR underweight. Just think of this… put a can of Coke-A-Cola on a piece of raw meat and see what happens. Your body has to get rid of the acid otherwise it will harm your body. SO, it stores it in fat… well you can’t lose the fat because your too acidic…. If you are consuming acidic foods.. then your body has to store it.. it can’t remove fat.. it needs it!!

PLEASE QUIT SMOKING… Both men and women.. BUT for the Women.. haven’t you noticed those older ladies (40s and up), you know those ones with lots and lots of fine wrinkles. Where do you think they got those wrinkles. From smoking! It dehydrates the skin, pulls vitamin c away from you AND fills you up with toxins that your body has to spend fighting instead of fighting the other issues in your bodies. If all that doesn’t motivate you to quite.. then do it because you want to look younger and keep your skin from wrinkling. Next time you go out in public.. look for those ladies.. they are everywhere, then you will know what I am talking about… they usually have a raspy voice.

Please let me know if this helped anyone.

tsc
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 07:32 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also have geographical tongue for 2 yrs now. It seems to be getting worst. It is located in the front of my tongue. In the morning when i wake up its full of white stuff and then after i ate it will go away and becomes red and burning. I've been gurgling Biotene after eating and it kind of help a little. I will try the Maalox plus Benadryl and see if it will help. Thanks for the information.

annaau
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 09:08 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It could be anything. see a doctor. I think using bio carb soda works for just about any oral problem. Just put some in a cup and mix it and then swosh in the mouth for a minute every couple of hours.

Tongue Burns!
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 03:05 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I Just Got My Tongue Pierced And My taste buds are huge in the front and they burn like i caught it on fire! They are all flared out its pretty gross!!!!!!!! Does anyone know if this is normal!!! Please Tell me its been like this for 4 days and it hurts when i eat.

Lori
Username: loritr

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:03 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I have these little white bumps on the right side of my tongue... I can not eat without putting Anbosel on it... They hurt.... I don't know what they are or how I got them... Can some one please help me??!!

anyone
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 01:17 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have clear bumps that have a tiny white head on them on the underside of my tongue and the inside of my lower lip. They do not hurt and form and go away in a matter of days. I can't find anything online about them. Does anyone know anthing about this conditon? Thanks

frustrated
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 11:17 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to see I'm not alone. This has been the most frustrating problem. I 1st experienced this about 4 yrs. ago. I got 1 inflamed tastebud that burned and turned white. It grew up and then fell off. A few months later I woke up one day with that same area of my tastebuds bleeding and the back of the roof of my mouth was sore. I was cheked for months by various Dr.s who finally said it must be a food allergy. I had been on antibiotics during the 1st incident and this probably caused it. The allergy test proved that I had food allergies I didn't know about. I stopped eating those items and went on allergy pills. This appeared to help manage the condition. I had to stop eating so many foods that going out to eat became a big problem. I stopped eating prepared foods and ate many vegetables that I cooked at home to monitor what goes into them. I only occassionaly have this problem today, usually after I've eaten in a restaurant (no matter how specifically u order u have no control over preparation). No Dr. ever mentioned geographical tongue, at the time they ruled out everything else mentioned here. They did mention stress but I currently have very little stress and have an inflamed bud this week for the first time in about 6 months. I didn't eat at a restaurant. It just came out of nowhere this time so I though I'd investigate. Everyone's stories have been very informative. Please continue to post as much information as you can.

Passionnn
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 06:48 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok guyz, for eveyone who said they have bumps on the back of their tounge, well i have learned that EVERYONE has them and they are COMPLETELY NORMAL. So if you don't believe me, ask somebody to open there mouth and you will see. YOU probably never noticed them because you never opened your mouth well enough like me =D I hope i helped.

Passionnn
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 04:24 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am like totally freaking out! yesterday, i have noticed these bumps [not to big like pea sized]in the back of my tounge. It is not hurting or anything. but it really bothers me that they are there. i am scared and don't know how to tell my mom =( she might get an idea of me smoking or something. . . is it dangerous?

paul california
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 02:08 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HEEEEELP!!!! yesterday i had one of those normal white bumps on the tip of your tongue.. tastebuds or whatever... through out the day it has been gettin more.. now there is a whole cluster of about 15-20 of white bumps that look like pimples on my tongue! PLEASE HELP they hurt and ive tried EVERYTHING!!

Docter Joe
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 07:59 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's called burnt tongue syndrom, and is caused by a variety of foods or drugs. The small wipe bumps are merely irritated taste buds, often from chewing gums, especially cinnamon flavored chewing gums. It goes away fast.

I feel your pain
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 12:59 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am also very surprised at just how many people suffer from Geographic Tongue! I am 40 and have talked to about 6 doctors and all of them have said the same thing.. it's hereditary, it's most likely an allergy, it's not harmful (unless you are the one who has it and feels the pain)and best of all, there is no treatment.
Mine flares up after eating acidic foods like pineapple, tomatoes & kiwi. The one and only thing that stops mine immediately is if I hold a teaspoon of Karo syrup or pure old sugar on my tongue and let it dissolve. I can't help it,I have to say it ... a spoon full of sugar helps the geo go down in the most delightful way!!! Hope it helps someone else.

Lucille
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 07:20 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I work in daycare, and all the children and staff were getting this thing with bumps on their tongue, they were white and they hurt alot like a stinging hurt as if they were an open sore on your tongue. As time went by either they healed by themselves or they burst open into actual sores.
All the children and staff with this went to the doctor, and all the doctors came up with various ideas to what it was. Some said it was a viral infection, some said it was bacterial and others said it was Hand, Foot and mouth.
So no I don't know what it is and we are all still guessing and wondering what its is but its always possible that you maybe have what we have all been suffering with at my daycare.

serenac
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 36 year old female. I have had a swollen, burning sensation in my tongue for over a month now, can get very painful. The sides near the back very painful, throat back of tongue feels inflammed & irritated (scary)at times, inside cheek very sore swollen,the pain moves around to different areas but seems more prevalent on right side. Sometimes talking is difficult due to swelling of tongue, also having itchy skin(hives??) Stress does seem to make swelling worse although Dr. says no way that can happen, (yea right)Dr. gave me Nystatin for thrush- no releif. Went to an ENT last week he said it was gland problem & gave me antibiotics that I have been on for a week- no releif. Very strange that chewing gum can reduce swelling and pain for short time. Talked to Dr. today he thinks I am Having inflammation issues probably to food allergies, The only thing I changed is not eating fried fatty foods trying to watch what I eat. Very Very frustrated at this point need some help.... Dr. did tell me about the Maalox benedryl mixture- seems to help a little

Casey Bernal
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 11:49 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have whats is known as geographic tonunge.It hurts and get swelled up on the sides when I eat certin foods.Like pop,french fries,sugry foods,and it really hurts when I eat spicy foods.Is this because of geographic tounge?

pink puppy
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 02:43 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was born with a geographic tongue and nearly always have the blister like things there,I've talked to my doctor about it but they tell me all the stuff I alwready know.I cant find any useful infomation (like why its cuased or how to cure it) on the net, Do any of you know were I could look?

Patricia Askew
Username: blkwidow1msncom

Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 07:38 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have always used a supplement called Lysine to get rid of these bumps on my tongue.

johnhendrick
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 10:48 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try puting some vinegar and water and holding it in your mouth for say 5 minutes through out the day for a couple of days. Vinegar is a natural anti bacterial thingy. Look it up on the net. I know seeing a doc without insurance is expense. I'm no doctor.

Dawna
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have always been told they are called "sour bumps". I have one now. I've had it for about 2 weeks now. It could have been that I have drank too much orange juice or I could have bit my tongue. But the way I get rid of them is kind of painful, I just pick them off with my fingernails. It bleeds for a bit but by the next day, it doesn't hurt anymore. If I left it alone, I don't know how long it would take to go away. I have always just removed them myself.

gretchenmayhew
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 07:34 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi i have been sick and then noticed two white bumps on the back of my tongue followed by a nasty canker sore under my tongue. the whole back of my tongue is now bumpy feeling and slightly stings. i am extremely worried this is thrush and i am experiencing the first symptoms of HIV. if anyone has any info/insight to dissuade my terrible thoughts, i'd truly appreciate it.

chimpanze
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

candiasis infection (candia albacans) aka yeast infection - - - possible

strept throat - - - possible

exposure to irritant, chemical or plant - - - possible

exposure to allergen (allergic reaction) - - - possible

crazy
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 04:04 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a deep breath and relax! All this self- diagnosing can drive someone crazy. I know it has driven me crazy, so I finally went to the doctor about the bumps on the back of my tongue instead of searching on the internet for answers. I have just gotten over a viral infection, and I have a sore throat accompanied by what appeared to be hard, large bumps on the back of my tongue. Well, as it turns out, they are swollen glands on my tongue due to an infection of the pharynx...pharyngitis is a fancy word for sore throat. "Nothing to be alarmed about" as the doctor worded it! If you have a sore throat and drainage running down the back of your throat, it is posiible that your tongue bumps are actually just swollen glands! No need to freak out about HIV/AIDS, tongue cancer, thrush etc.. And if you are concrned...go see your doctor to ease your distress. I will never look up my symptoms on the web again. It just freaks me out too much!!!! I just had to get back on this site and let you all know that it may not be as bad as you think.

helpmeplz
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 03:36 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SOME1 PLZ HELP ME IM WORRIED. for some reason my tongue has become a little grey/whitish colour. wat is this? plz tell me its not cancer or anything serious like that.

Sharon Wilkins
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 08:10 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My children and I have always gotten these mouth sores on occassions. My children get them sometimes now due to irritation caused by their braces. I also have trouble with my tongue splitting and becoming very sore which my doctor told me was due to lack of zinc in my diet. I notice that my tongue has more problems if I stop taking my daily vitamins so some problems with the mouth can come from vitamin deficency. I use a product on the mouth sores called Gly-oxide from the drugstore. It really helps them heal a lot faster and makes them feel better. Hopes this helps some of you.

Aileen Mackintosh
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 07:46 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I was recently very sick first thing in the morning after no food for at least 6-7 hours. I found later that the sides of my tongue had several really big nasty blisters on. I am assuming that it was all the acidic contents of my stomach that I was vomiting that caused this. Has anyone else ever had this happen? And how long do you find it takes for the tongue to heal?

Jeff Huggans
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 09:04 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have red spots closer to the tip of my tongue and get clear pimples on the edges.Sensations are burning and irritating. Vitamin B has helped the clear pimples , but no cure yet. Any suggestions?

crazy tongue texas
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 02:43 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I had my wisdom teeth removed about 4 months ago... I developed a yeast(candida) infection shortly afterward from the massive anti-biotics and since then, I have had what sounds like geographic tongue: Sore circles with white edges (rings) that seem to be focused around the tip of my tongue. Usually at least 2 at a time are present. It has been really painful and persistant for the last 4 months. Has anyone had geo tongue come on suddenly after major oral surgery? I will definitely try some of the suggestions here and post if anything works.

JFriedman
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 01:02 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too have these bumps on my tongue. Fairly new thing. Looking back I think an old girlfriend had herpes1. She used to get a lip sore every couple months whe she was stressed. I didnt know until recently that all cold sores/lip/mouth are herpes1. But I stayed away from contact with any sore (I tried at least). My current girlfriend has contracted herpes2 (genital). She thinks I gave it to her via oral sex. We are living together and she is freaking out. And no she isnt sleeping around. She has never had lip/mouth sores. We are both a little worried. I have never in my life had a sore on my mouth or lip, ever. Still havent. Dont have genital herpes either. Have had STD tests taken in the past. These bumps on the tip of my tongue are new though, and were new right before this happened. Is it possible this is herpes1 IN the mouth/ON the tongue? Is this how it manifests itself inside the mouth and not on the lips/mouth (the big red sores on lips that is typical herpes1)? It would seem to make sense since herpes1 can become herpes2 on the partner if oral sex is performed. And they tingle a little - similar to the description listed as a symptom of a herpes outbreak. Is it possible my ex transmitted herpes1 to me, it was dormant, and I transmitted it to my current girlfriend via oral sex and now she has herpes2? I am going to see the doctor when the bumps are present, get them cultured, and have a herpes1 test taken. Herpes is a dangerous word that no one likes to use (and seems to be avoided in this forum too), but it is very common (all cold sores) and it seems to make sense. Everyone that is posting about the lie bumps/white bumps/etc. should look around them at current and past partners and see if cold sores are a common thread. Anyone have herpes1 or 2? Anyone have someone tell them they contracted herpes1 or 2? Anyone have any doctor's opinions? Anyone ever had the lie bumps and then later on in life had mouth/lip sores? I need some answers because this is ruining this relationship.

katr
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WEll thanks guys for the great posts. I have never had what I just got, which majorily swollen taste buds, big white bumps with alot of red, and cracks in the front of my tonque. This happened after I think I overdosed on natural remedies to get rid of the flu, I think I had an allergic reaction. So I tried the 1/2 maalox, 1/2 childs liquid benedryl, a couple teaspoons, used as a mouth wash. Overnight, the bumps are almost gone, and my tongue is so much less sore. It hurt to even eat. If its an allergic reaction to something, it makes sense that the benedryl would help it.

Emma Copbat
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 08:56 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a bump underneeth my Tongue on my right side, the two skins under the tongue connected to the tongue tie, one of those is swollen and a bit painfull and unconfortable usually causing, spit to spray out when I talk.

mtf
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 08:36 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had several episodes of enlarged papillae on the back of my tongue including one bout for 8 years. Although doctors don't seem to be very worried about it, I have a warning: Lingual tonsillitis can result from this condition. I actually had to have my lingual tonsils removed because they were chronically swollen. It looked like mountains in the back of my throat. Although you normally can't see them with the naked eye mine were so infected & swollen that just by opening my mouth you could see them. Unfortunately, my tongue has the bumps again after 5 years bump free. I have found that the prescription cough syrup Tussionex soothes my tongue better than anything and usually gets me through till the next episode.

purple tongue man
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 11:57 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

READ THIS MESSAGE FOR SOME ANSWERS

as for the white bumps on your tongue: they are inflamed tastebuds as mentioned before. nothing abnormal, you can get them for a variety of reasons. damaging a tastebud (biting burning), reaction to food and chemicals in your diet.

Now as for the geographical tongue. That is bologne. a lot of doctors and what not say something stupid when they dont really know whats going on. Most people have reoccuring cases of TONGUE THRUSH and never know about it becuase they assume the alternating areas of red spotty areas and dense regions of white tubular structures throughought the tongue are nothing at all. They may brush of, they may not. Those areas are a fungal infection almost identical to the YEAST INFECTION women get down below. Nothing to be ashamed of or freak out about. The best way to treat them is with a salt water gargle. 1tsp salt per 4 oz of warm water. It must be a potent solution, and gargle.

if this does not clear if up, ask your pharmacist for a OTC medicine called genial proecia or something like that. it is a pruple dye used on fungus and yeast of the body. it is meant for external applications only, but can be brushed onto the tongue using a qtip. I know i have the name wrong, but look up tongue thrush and the words purple dye. you will find it. good luck

btw, i was here looking for reasons why certain foods cause an immediate painful reaction on the roof of my mouth. when it occurs, even pressure alone will hurt, not just the food in question. still not sure what that is, but ive dealt with the "geographical tongue" for years. You tongue will turn really pruple and tastel like crap, but dont worry. dont use alot, and dont swallow for the first few minutes, just spit it into the sink. make sure the water is running though, you dont want to stain your sink. the color will wear on in 24 hours, and 1 treatment a day for 2-3 days will clear it up. good luck

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information