Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * General Questions * My calves! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Catalina Valenzuela
Username: anonmymous

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 11:39 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How can i lose the fat from my calves and not gain muscle???

Some Guy
Username: some_guy

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 11:06 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

stair stepper at low resistance, running, cardio on feet.

toby loc
Username: tobyloc

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 10:02 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stepping and similar things suggested will not remove fat from your calves, infact as they're putting the calves under stress they are not used to they are likely to increase the size of the muscle. When you tense your calves (for instance by going on tiptoes) is it all hard? Or it there still a lot of fat there? If there's still fat there then the only way to reduce it is to reduce your total body fat levels as you can't spot reduce fat. Your body stores fat more in different places than others due to your genetic and hormonal make up and you can't change it. If your body stores more fat around your calf muscles than you see on others unfortunately it's genetic, however if you reduce your body fat levels then your body will store less fat there.

Louisa Luk
Username: imnangel

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 10:48 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

toby, so does that mean that there is no hope to lose my huge calves? my overall body is slim but my calves are both muscly and fat? is there ANYTHING i can do to help it elongate or slim up?

Yoby
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 09:14 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I also have huge calves! like 38cm. I used to play basketball and stopped, i think thats why. i heard stretching the calf muscles helps; also massaging them for half an hour each day after taking a bath. steps and other cardio exercise might not make your calf muscles smaller but they'll definitely give your calves a more shapely look, which is all you need to look great.

star
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 08:54 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i knew a gorgeous girl who had a very slim physique but her calves were large. she used to cover up with long skirts. I got her to wear shorter skirts with boots to the knee. that made her legs look long and was a great look. another approach can be to build up the shoulders and arms and upper back (lats etc) just a bit more. That can balance out the look of the body. Another approach is to do some yoga and pilates and ballet plie's etc to get the long leaner muscle tone through the legs and helps take the chunkier look away. you will lose a bit of muscle from teh calves if you have cut back on the basketball ie not jumping around as much. But i have to say that you will probably keep some of the muscles, so maybe crosstrain to even out the look. Ie do some exercises that work different body parts eg walk, swim, lowimpact aerobics, toners, some ab work etc. that way you burn fat all over but allow the calves to not be overworked.

d
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 07:40 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

please help me. I am currently loosing weight. I have always had big calves, and real muscular ones. I would do anything for help, I have asked many many people of all statues to help and nobody can help. They usually laugh. I am willing to get surgery to have them taken off part of the muscle. I am not at all consern with the risks of side effects. I am getting so sick of people making jokes and it's not funny really. I am just scared of having large vertical lines gong down both of my legs after the sergery. I want at lease 1/2 reduced.

ANY SUGGESTIONS????????

please take this seriousley.

Taanks sincerely,

D

Lisa Marie
Username: snoopydancer05

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 07:59 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi D,
I got lipo done about 6 years ago on my thighs and calves. The first summer they were swollen and not much different. The next two summers were great! NOW they are back to regular size plus an inch!
I'm a size 8 and excercise regularly. My moms side AND dad's side of family have large calves, so I think I will have to get surgery every few years or just live with it!
I was walking 4 miles per day 4 days a week last spring, but then we moved and I lost my walking buddy. I did start to notice a difference. I'm back on the treadmill now and doing well. We'll see what happens.
P.S. There are NO vertical lines after surgery. Just small incisions inside the knee area.

helpfull
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

d you have to be carefull if your size is due to fat then lipo may be an option but if it is muscle then it wont help. I have heard that yoga and pilates can stretch the muscle thus making it longer and slimmer. But there is also calf reduction surgery that will remove muscle from your legs making them slimmer

Angela Nichelson
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 02:28 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone
I am very interested in getting surgery done
I have always suffered from huge calves & eventhough I do alot of excercise they are still really fat. I try & wear baggy trousers. Iam only a size 8 on top so if I wear a skirt which I DON'T VERY OFTEN i feel very embarrassed as alot of people look at my legs. I feel very uncomfortable & hide myself so much. I am tired of having to do this. I am only 20 & I would love to be able to wear dresses and skirts like friends of mine.
Iam a heavy smoker so I don't know if that would be a problem if I get the surgery done. Any suggestions please? Clinics?
THANKYOU X

Tasha888
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 01:58 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are three things that basically make up your limbs: bone, muscle, and fat. You don't want to lose bone. You WILL lose muscle and atrophy the area if you do not use it, but you will also cause poor cirulation to the area. Unless you are some kind of gymnast, I highly doubt it's muscles that's causing most of the problem. I used to think my calves were large due to muscle, as I AM very muscular and athletic, but I found out that it's fat. While flexing your calves, pinch the area just below/behind the insides of your knees. Compare that to a friend with nice calves to see what I'm talking about. I'm already skinny-looking, but when my water weight is low and/or I've lost about 15 pounds I see a HUGE difference. I started dancing about a year ago and my calves have become much better defined-especially around the ankles-and I'd have to say that exercise (like running, dancing, or high repetition calf lifts WITHOUT weights) and weight loss WILL work. My calves only look right to me when I am at my lowest possible healthy weight according to my BMI (look it up). I am already skinny looking, but the truth is I just gain most of my weight in my legs, my hips and upper body tend to stay slim. THAT DOESN'T mean it is unhealthy to lose some weight. I've never seen a truly skinny woman with fat or even huge legs unless she was a professional athlete that works out intensely five hours a day and has obviously huge manly calf muscles (which again, will DEFINITELY go away with inactivity of the muscles). Period.

And anyone who is a heavy smoker is causeing their blood vessels to constrict, which causes circulatory problems with leads to cellulite and vericose veins. I highly doubt anybody who smokes heavily is exercising enough (you wouldn't have TIME nor DESIRE to smoke that often), and even if they do that aren't getting the same benefit.

Anything that can help your circulatory system, like drinking enough water, stretching after workouts, and not smoking is going to help your legs circulate more blood to the area, which of course affects everything else. When I'm not doing cardio enough, for circulation my doc said I take an aspirin sometimes (ask your DOCTOR first!).
But, like is said, the main thing for the vast majority of big-calved chicks with skinny upper bodies is losing body fat.

Olivia
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 04:23 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've read something about a "nerve cutting" operation which shrinks the size of the calf - this was performed in Korea. Has anyone heard about such operations in the UK?
Any survivors?

I'm sick of my chicken-legs and the comments they generate!

Victoria Hepler
Username: vgh

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:43 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I've never seen a truly skinny woman with fat or even huge legs unless she was a professional athlete that works out intensely five hours a day and has obviously huge manly calf muscles (which again, will DEFINITELY go away with inactivity of the muscles). Period."

WRONG. I did gymnastics from the afe of 8-12 and still have the big calves at age 34. They do not always go away on their own. I have tried everything. I tried Pilates....did not work. I even gained weight and stopped exercising, hoping to soften the look of my legs. Basically my calved look big no matter what size the rest of my body is. Surgery would be the only option for me and others like me.

Joe Lewis
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 08:53 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am on the track team and all you need to do to lose FAT in your legs and gain muscle is to sprint and then stop, sprint and then stop. however if you want to get more tone muscles, just run about 3 miles a day, you will notice fast results, maybe within 2 or 3 weeks.

Shelly Smith
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 08:19 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a clinic in Korea that performs calf-muscle reduction surgery. There are many people who have undergone the surgery and have written about their experiences in the yahoo group. Check it out. The name of the group is "smallercalves"

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information