Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * General Questions * Weight loss vs muscle gain < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Gaining muscle instead of losing fatmary kate03-22-06  11:58 am
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steph

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 - 09:08 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just started a weight loss program and I am exercising at the gym (cardio and weights) 5 times a week and two long walks a week but I have lost only 3 kilos in the first week (im in week 4)( Im sure those 3 kilos are water)...does anyone know how long it will take before the scales catch up with what I'm doing at the gym? (BTW - I have stuck to the eating part perfectly =no chocolate/takeaways etc)

GOSHORYUKEN
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 01:42 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Muscle weighs more than fat. So instead of losing immense amount of weight, you're replacing lost fat with stronger and durable and heavier muscle. Don't expect to see too much weight loss, but do expect to feel healthier, stronger, and having more energy throughout your day.

-Ash

Alex Mason
Username: mase

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 04:57 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when losin weight u dont want to lose any more than 2 lbs a week, any more than that is unhealthy, it is a long process but if u lose weight consistantly as in 1 lb or so a week u will feel alot better in the long run, bearing in mind muscle does weigh more than fat so if u lift a lot of weight in the gym u may not lose weight as quickly as u like!

joeconfused
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:58 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok so fat weighs less than muscle? And muscles are obviously stronger. The thing is i'm 5'10 180 pounds and while I'm not a gym rat I do work out on occasion and try to keep myself fit. My girlfriend on the other hand has always been thick and has gained more weight... shes 5'8 245 now. Her legs are much bigger than mine but I'm sure mine have more muscle! Yet whenever we leg wrestle she can beat me everytime??? how is this possible?? She says on average bigger legs are just stronger

Taylor Assen
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 04:29 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a quick reminder that fat also takes much more space than muscle. Therefore your scale should be thrown to the wolves and your focus should be on dress/pants size. What matters more to you, your weight or how others precive you? Thats what I thought. Nobody sees the weight scale but you. So trash that scale and keep at it until you have reached an appropriate dress size!
Taylor - Fitness Instructor

mamatha
Username: mamatha

Posted on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 05:47 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it possible to gain muscle weight from fat loss?

Jessica Smith
Username: latino

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 10:13 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

your question is a little confusing. generally cardiovascular exercises such as jogging, walking, swimming etc. are aimed at fat loss. but that doesn't mean your muscles don't get a workout as well. and, with the loss of the fat over the top, you're muscles will become more apparent (ie. you will see more definition, not because you're bulkier, but because the fat covering them is removed).

however, if you're talking about actually standing on a set of scales, if you've increased your muscle this will increase your weight. but as the post from taylor (above) says you should notice the difference in your actual body size, so look at how your clothes are fitting.

and remember, it's not a bad thing to have muscle, and women find it near impossible to actually get a 'bulky' look without excessive weight training, so don't fear it! :-)

hope this answers your question...

Monkey
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 06:46 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was 218 pounds in April of this year and have gotten down to 170 though excersize and eating right. I'd like to weigh around 155, however I just can't get these last 15 pounds off, even though I work out 6 days a week and run 20 KM every weekend. I feel like I'm gaining muscle and that I'll keep gaining muscle, and not get rid of the rest of the fat (the flabby bits!). Am I just being overanxious - knowing that weight comes off slower the closer you get to your goal?

toby loc
Username: tobyloc

Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 09:44 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Steph, goshoryuken's probably right, the weight training you're doing has probably put a bit of muscle mass on you. As muscle is heavier than fat you're not seeing the fat loss gains you are making on the scales. If you're not sure if those 3kilos are water, simple, make sure you're always hydrated! Easiest way to check is the colour of your urine! Should be close to colourless all the time. Good way to check your fat loss, particularly on guys, is to get a tape measure and monitor the ratio between your waist circumference and your hips. You could also try keeping a food diary for a few days and see exactly where the calories are coming from and how many there are, sounds like you're doing ok though and that extra muscle will increase your metabolism so you should find it easier to lose fat as you continue.

Monkey, sound like you've done really well! 48 pounds is excellent and you should probably be a bit more patient with the rest. If you really want to get keen i'd do what i suggested to Steph, keep a food diary for a week (if you can manage it, can get a bit tedious after a couple of days!). Write down every scrape of butter, drop of oil, weigh everything, read every package and work it all out. Look for calorie counter tables on the internet if you're eating something without nutritional info on. All this writing and calculater work can be very tedious but it's very useful, it will show you how many calories a day you are eating and where they are from. It's amazing how much it teaches you about how many or little calories are in some things.

As you're exercising a lot (which is great!) you should try and get about(all rough values) 60% calories from Carbs (good ones, that is, unrefined breads,pasta etc and lots of vegetables and fruit), 20% from Fat(preferably oily fish, nuts, olive/vegetable oil) and 20% protein (preferably white meat, skinless, just to keep the fat down). Then just try and control and monitor your diet so that your eating a liiitle less than you're using(no more than 20% less).

Muscle is good! If you're a girl(you didn't say!) you won't be able to put much more muscle on because of genetics and your lack of testosterone. Also the muscle you've got increases your metabolism to help you lose the fat.

Last point (honest!) is a bit weird, 20k at the weekend is perhaps too much! It's not good for your knees, if you could do 10k twice a week would be much better or replace some of it with cycling or swimming. Also you cannot store fitness, so you'd improve your fitness by simply splitting the running up through the week.

Hope that helped, I did go on a bit!

Sher Ka
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 08:17 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For years I have been starving myself and trying to lose weight but it has not been a success. I have now been exercising and eating healthier for about a month now, but i have gained 4 pounds, but feel that I have lost, firmed, and have became smaller. Others seem to agree. Is my body not going to shed weight, or am I gaining muscle?

K Philips
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 05:17 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last year I lost 35 kilos. In Jan. I decided to go to the gym 3x/week for 1 1/2 hrs each time. I have noticed that I do feel better and sleep better, but over the past 6 weeks I have GAINED 5 kilos! I realize some may be muscle but I do not believe all of it is. I don't feel like I've gained weight and my clothes still fit the same. Does anyone know how long this will go on until I start losing weight again?

Joshua
Username: evolution

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 07:49 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sher Ka, the problem is it's not weight you want to lose but fat. So, if you gain a couple pounds but lose inches off of your waist and look better and firmer than before, wouldn't that be better. As you gain muscle, you will also gain fat. Some people lose weight but lose muscle as well.

star
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 08:03 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

k philips, you lost a lot of kgs last year, and may have lost a bit of lean muscle along with the fat loss. they say muscles have memory, and that it can be a bit quicker to regain muscles than to put on muscle for the first time. eg a person who has had their leg in plaster usually their leg evens up to the other leg pretty quick when back in use again. A year ago you were walking around with the equivalent of a 35 barbell on your back, ie that can make for strong glutes and leg muscles. If you lost some of that muscle while losing fat last year, you might find 6 weeks of gym work could help regain quite a bit of muscle. But after you have regained a bit of muscle you will soon find that subsequent muscle gain will slow down to a much smaller amount. When doing weight workouts at the gym, in order to have teh energy for what is largely an anaerobic workout, one often needs a few extra carbs and protein to fuel the workout and rebuild eh muscles. I am comparing this to the amount of calories one sometimes consumes in fat loss times). Now it is true that the workouts burn up the carbs, and if your clothes fit teh same that shows you have probably not overdone it with eating more than what the workouts require. However the extra say 400 calories etc you might consume can sometimes mean you will have a little extra fluid or water weight on your body than when you were cutting calories a little last year. Sometimes one even eats food a little later in the evening after the workout, just to fit the time in to go to the gym. Occasionally one has salted tuna or something quick and easy to fit in the gym time. Any time we do new workouts or new activities we also can feel a bit stressed till we get more at home in a new place or routine. These small changes can sometimes add up to creating just a bit of extra fluid on our bodies in the form of water weight. this is temporary. So my guess is you have a kilo or two of extra water weight, and a couple of kilos of regained muscle. My advice would be to find some skin tight trousers and try them on each week, or measure with a tape. Also if you find you are moving a little less eg due to aches adn pains day after gym, you might want to ease into your workouts more slowly. We burn a lot of calories just doing a lot of day to day movement, and if we go too hard at teh gym at first sometimes we tend to just sit all day on the other days. Nothing wrong iwth that, but for a person keen to not regain any fat, can be good to keep some energy for mowing the lawn and walking around town or standing at the phone instead of sitting etc, cos we burn a lot of fat calories right through the week by being busy. Apparently best fat loss is by being busy 6 days a week and if we are very busy on 3 this can make the other 3 days not so great. 6 days a week of some exercise is optimal for fat burning. So if you find you are regaining any fat, maybe cut back a bit to one hour at gym days and fit in the extra walk or cardio on other 3 days. of course this is just guess work as to your situation, so i am trying to guess what is most likely going on, hope it is some help

megi
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 05:08 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have about 10 pounds to lose and its become v difficult. i go to the gym 6 days a week ..

what sort of diet to follow now

i dont have a particular diet

jessy
Username: jessy

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 11:30 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so muscle will cause weight gain ??

Eddie Gomez
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm 5'11 150 lbs. I want to gain weight, but yet its really hard. I want to gain more muscle go up to 170 lbs. i dont mean big buff muscle, i mean hard strong muscle.Does anyone know any great meals i would be able to take to be able to increas my gains, and at the same time gain muscle and not fat. I do a lot of cardio workouts. I wrestle for college. Or any foods that can help my joints, because after a while of working out they start to either do poppings sounds, or they hurt a little.

al
Username: minddfloww

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 03:50 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

shuld u RUN FIRST or RUN LAST?? to which will help you help you lose weight and which will help you build muscle?

mary kate
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:56 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i just started going o the gym a month ago ihave been doing weights,cardio for 30 min treadmill,45 min elleptical.For almost 4-5 days a week.i'm eating normal.by the way i'm 5'2 i was 150 when i started now i weigh 156.why i'm gaining weight instead of losing it but i do feel tight.help me please i'm getting disappointed by that

jessica union
Username: jml8d

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 09:48 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am trying to lose 10 lbs, but i gain muscle mass easily and i want to lose some of the muscle mass i have now. I am going on the south beach diet, should i not go to the gym for a few weeks?

KimR
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 01:10 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been exercising for the past month at Curves, where they weigh and measure you. I lost a whopping 3 pounds, about 1% of my body fat, but all of the measurements went up. Can anyone explain this?

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information