Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * General Questions * Alcohol and Seizure < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bill m

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 01:23 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently had my first seizure, and the whole experience has been really difficult. I was in Indiana for a wedding. The night b/4 had been a normal Friday night out...dinner, drinking, dancing...about 8 beers over 6 hours. I woke up the next morning, felt great, went out to breakfast, returned to my hotel room and apparently had the seizure. I have been trying to find info on this topic, but most of what I found is on individuals that abuse alcohol. I have never used any "other drugs" and don't get why this happened. I enjoy socially drinking, mostly on the weekends, but I don't feel like that is what caused this. I am young and really struggling with the whole event. The nuerologist I saw wasn't very nice which didn't help. Understandably I can't drive for 6 months and he told me pretty much not to drink anymore. That would be so hard, b/c it is involved in so many of my social activites as well as a stress relief on the weekends!! I am also on Depakote which I will probably come off of, after my the doctor looks at my MRI. (All other tests have been clear) Sorry this is long, any advice or suggestions.

Ryan Froehler

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 11:26 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My suggestion is drinking non-alcoholic beverages if you just can't leave that sweet sweet beer alone ;) non-alcoholic beer doesnt taste the same usually....but it helps if you are trying to tame that craving.I'd also get a second opinion...there's a lot of doctors who think they can tell you anything and you'll follow it like the bible.Find a more down to earth doctor to give their opinion on your situation.I agree with you not driving,just to be safe.If it happened once...it may happen again and you don't wan't to be driving over a bridge when it does.
I hope I've helped or at least given a small amount of closure.

Lisa Marie
Username: gatorbait

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:10 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

get a second opion, my husband has seizures...and has had as many as 5 in 2 months
og course he did not take is meds right then either but still.. get a second opion

Amanda S
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 02:26 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Almost the same exact scenario happened to my husband just this past weekend. However, he had had quite a bit to drink (but not as much as he has before) and his seizure occurred right as we returned to our hotel room. We've already had an EEG and he isn't allowed to drive either - which is really difficult because he's a travelling salesman. They also told him to avoid alcohol, but other than that we don't know anything. Have you learned anything else?

As the witness I can say it's one of the scariest things I've ever seen. Good luck with your doctor and your treatment!

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information