Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Fitness Questions * Weight training on a over weight person.???? < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

gabs

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 12:09 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do I go about training with weights when I am about 50-70lbs over weight. I do cordio 3-4 times a week 30-50 mins of it. Alternate my days with weight training. I do 3 times a week of weight training. Right now I am working the whole body. I do 3 sets of 12 uppper and 3 sets of 15 lower with moderate weight, that when I finish the last set I can bearly lift the last rep. I am some what sore the next day and feel what body part I worked the day before and feels really realllly good. I was just wondering that since I am over weight how many set and how heavy should I lift. I do not want to bulk up or anything because I am trying to loose all these weight 80lbs. I know that muscle burns fat but how do I do it. I need some info...help..*smile

I was also told that doing this routine 3 weeks and changing it to another 3 weeks or lower body one day upper body the other...and so on so I can confuse my body and my body does not ajust to the routine...is that so or who can tell me different. I feel good about my routine and my local gym trainer where I go told me to do it like this. It was a one time sesson thing a fee one but Im just worried bout bulking up.. on my back or shoulders or legs...know what I mean??

someone can help...*smile
gabs*

Anonymous

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 01:44 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a general rule, you should alternate days on your routine. If you are just getting started, here is what you might think about:
Mon-Wed-Fri - arms & chest
Tues-Thursday - legs & back
Getting started: do 4 sets of 12 reps. Use as much weight as you can to complete this. After 4 weeks, increase the weight by 10 lbs, and decrease the reps to 8.
Mind you, this will increase your overall strength tremendously. (do the math:10lbs in strength per month = 120lbs increase in your bench in one calendar year!) Also, muscle does weigh more than fat. However, it sounds to me like you don't really have a weight issue --- you have a fat issue. Does it really matter how much you weigh, if you are toned and physically fit? Notice, I used the word "toned" there for a reason. As with *any* physical routine -- if you are just beginning -- have a checkup with your physician and discuss your plans. Also, with your cardio, make sure that you are getting your heartrate to "fat burning", rather than "I'm training for the Olympics".

Mora

Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 10:10 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could start out without weights - there's a great training program that tells you how to use resistance training without weights - if you're curious, Working Out Without WeightsWhatever you decide, good luck and don't try to do too much at once if you're not used to it - you don't want to hurt yourself!

lisa martens (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 01:32 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I am in the same boat as you are re:fat issue! I do step 5-6x a week (depending on how I feel on Saturday!) I alternate circuit step and all step step. I felt the same about building muscle behind fat (will this actually make me larger? Heaven forbid!) These messages really help! ;)

Felipe Guadamuz

Rating: 
Votes: 3 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 09:56 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here it is.
You need to do a lot of cardio. I mean, lots.
Start by walking; that's the best way to do it. Start by creating a fitness plan.
Just like a house needs a foundation, so does a fitness plan.
Think of it like this: A fitness plan needs:
Setting a goal
Planning
Eating Right
Exercising

You need to focus on an immediate goal. Just remember that you shouldn't lose more than five lbs. per month. It's not healthy.
OK, so you walked a mile per day for about a month, but you still do not see results, well, it is because you're not eating right.
First of all, say good bye to the junk food and fast foods. You don't have to go hungry, just eat right. Trade a dish of fries for a dish of carrots.
Eat apples and pineapple. These two fruits have pectin, a natural chemical that flushes the LDL ( bad cholesterol) from your body.
So you are eating right and exercising and you're starting to see the results. But still, there are some things missing; one of them is the fact that you only have long term goals, not short term goals. Try focusing on this:
This month, I plan to lose 5 lbs.
Next month, lose another 5 lbs.
And so on, and so forth.
Then, plan. Dream. Dreaming is what ger goals accomplished, so long as you work at them.
Dream about being at the beach and not being afraid of wearing a swimsuit.
You'll see that by setting the foundation for a great fitness plan, you will be successful at it.
And true. If you're overweight, do not do weights, or size will stay though the fat goes away.
You'll see that in no time, you will see the real results.

Swery
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 09:03 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone that needs to lose over 30 lbs and is weight lifting needs to do an excessive amount of reps with lighter weights. Work up to 75 reps, you'll see better results. This amount will still fatigue the muscle, but the constant movement will also add to your cardio/aerobic and with every move, you're burning calories.

jstrantz
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:19 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if you try the south beach diet you can lose a pound a day for the first fourteen days, I lost 10 pounds in 11 days and i feel great, i am not hungry and no cravings!!

Christy Davis
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 05:49 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I am having trouble with these same issues. Hope someone can help. I do 45/60 minute cardio at least 4 times a week and also I love doing the weight training machines in my gym... but here it is, I am overweight. I started at 243lbs. (5'8) in March and now in Oct. I am at 248!! I am so dispointed in my results (which have been nothing on the scale!) I do notice a difference in my clothes and I feel 100% better but the idea was to loose weight! What am I doing wrong??????? Please help me understand.

donna
Username: donna

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 09:59 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

- this is scary - I paid high $$$ for a personal trainer. I am 35 lbs overweight and while they have me doing cardio everyday, I do weights 3 times a week alternating legs, arms, chest and shoulders. I am doing 3 reps of everything usually with 10 lbs in each hand for upper body and 40+ for legs. Should I ask them to change my routine. Many times she has to help me get through the last sets. What happens if you use lighter weights with more reps?

anonymous
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 09:55 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christy - you are not doing anything wrong. Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. I stay as far away as possible from scales. Ive been on a diet for 4 months, have gone down about 2 jean sizes and gained 4 lbs. Those lbs gained are muscle mass. Would my clothes get looser if the diet wasnt working? I dont think so. If you feel a difference, keep up what you are doing!

Ted Nugent
Username: billybob

Post Number: 1

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:44 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did some sit ups about 4 months ago and my stomach has looked "bloated" ever since. It sticks out more than it should. I tried eating a lot of fiber and cutting down my carbs and sugars but nothing seems to be working. What should I do?

Rebecca Anne
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been a member of 24hr Fitness for about 3 weeks now and just yesterday was given some information from a Personal Trainer and it was different than what I have been told in the past. I need to lose 50 lbs. and I have been doing 30 minutes of cardio for 5 days and resistance training on the machines every other day. He told me that I didn't need the ab machines or the knee/leg extender, etc... He said that 20 minutes of jogging every day and working 4 machines would do it for me. I don't jog, it puts a strain on my right shin that I hurt a few years back playing softball. I am confused, I thought that using the machines as well as the cardio would take it off faster...or at least that is what I was told. He also suggested 25 reps on each machine, rest 60 seconds and do them again, and with light weights.

Any help or suggestions on this would be so helpful!

Mrs. Sides
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 02:35 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christy, have thought about seeing your Dr? Have blood work done to check out your hormones, especially your thyroid.

I used to have the exact same problem as you. I was doing jazzercise 2 times a week and weight training 3 days a week. Within 2 months, I still gained 15lbs of fat. Turns out my thyroid wasnt producing anywhere near the amount hormones my body needed.

Your thyroid controls your metabolism. My Dr. told me that if your thyroid doesnt work properly, you could exercise till you are blue in the face and still not lose a pound.

ronda rae
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 10:09 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am a mother i have 3 daughters. i am overweight i have bareley any time for exersise
and to many children for a diet what should i do?
be aware of the fact that i cannot walk whout crutches and have bad balance?

kerihallock
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 06:46 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have been working out for about 2 months now and havent really seen a difference...how many minutes are u supposed to do cardio exercize for it to be truly affective...

Sanini Gonzalez
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 04:33 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been working out on a curcuit training for about 5 months with weights and cardio. I have lost some weight but need to lose about 30 more pounds. My legs are really toned now and I've lost some of my belly fat which is great. However, I noticed now though that my butt and lower body looks smaller than my upper body. My back and shoulders look wide and I feel like my arms are stronger, but they don't look any thinner. How do I go about losing weight in my arms, shoulders and back? More cardio? Less weights on arms and back. I usually use 10 pound weights for my arms and back. Should I reduce the weight? Help.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information