Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Fitness Questions * Bigger muscles, tighter clothes? < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bonnie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 04:53 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I workout about 4-5 times a week,(step aerobics,stairmaster, treadmill,eliptical) I recently decided I need to work more lower body muscle strengthing in since that is my problem area (size 6 on top, 12 on bottom) instead of clothes getting looser they are getting tighter, is it possible I'm not losing the fat I want, only gaining more muscle?

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 03:22 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes and try walking!

Bonnie

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 04:29 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you think I should cut out the stairmaster? is it makeing me to big in the butt? what is the best possible way to lose the weight there? I already eat a healthy diet, should I cut out more, is diet the only answer for this problem?

chad (Unregistered Guest)

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 05:05 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A little junk in the trunk isn't always bad. ;-)

go blue

Rating: 

Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 03:05 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Chad... but if you really want to slim down your gluts, try taking down the resistance in your stairmaster so you're stepping quicker and going for longer. Try some leg weight training with very light weight, but a high number of reps (>20). Quite honestly, God gave you legs so you could move with them, the best way to develop them the way you want is to run. Running longer distances will provide you with the results you desire. Try running trails with a friend for 30 minutes to an hour. Good luck... don't let that butt get TOO small!

James Lytle

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 12:04 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The best butt blaster is what I call jagar squats. These consists of the squating motion with no weight added. Then try to do 50 of them as fast as you possibly can, While you are doing them keep thinking go faster. Speed is the key. Go low enogh to get a good burn. This will tighten up your butt in no time. try 8 sets of these. Also you can try more shoulder and back exersises to even out your top and bottom.

maximusdoom
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:25 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Chad....dont get rid of a good thing!
Keep and treasure it like the rest of us.

Fat Rolla
Username: fatroll

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 05:04 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Obviously 4-5 times a week is excellent and if you ain't seeing results considering your diet is good and exercise adherence is good you need something to set you straight.

I would advise talking to a personal trainer and i can guarantee if they know what they are doing and are professional they can help you attain your goals.

Monica M
Username: monica5028

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 01:54 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been working out for about 2-3 weeks now, I do 40 min of cardio 3xs a week with weight training and 30 min of cardio 2xs a week and rest 2 days. I also watch what I eat aprox 1200-1400 calories a day. I cannot seem to loose any weight. I recently lost about 25lbs last fall but since then I dont know if i have hit a plateu or am buliding muscle. My clothes even feel tighter. Please help!

Jean-Paul Francoeur
Username: jpfitness

Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:38 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monica,
First lets look at your training. You listed five activities and not one of them involved resistance training. You will get ten times the bang for your buck with at least two, maybe three days of week on weights.

Have you ever watched those overweight people who take aerobics for years and wonder why they aren't progressing more? Sure, they shrink a little, but for the most part their bodies are still the same amorphous frame... basically just smaller fat people. Only with some resistance can you improve your muscle tone. Not only that, while doing cardio, once you catch your breath and your heart rate returns to normal, your metabolism is right back at square zero. After weight training, your body takes days to recover muscle tissue (hence the term, "afterburn").

Last thing is that white elephant in the middle of the room that none of us want to acknowledge... Yes... NUTRITION. It doesn't have to be complicated. You know which foods you're eating that are sabotaging this routine. Lets talk about them.

Syzzle
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 01:20 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Advice, please! I started an exercise program, 2 mo. ago. I have gained 8 lbs. and I'm SO discouraged! My clothes are tighter,and I exercise, watch what I eat, and drink plenty of water. Now what? I quit working out, but that only lasted for one week,I'm back on track, now. Please help! Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

haley smith
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 04:42 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have barely any fat on my legs because i had liposuction, but they are so huge because of the muscles. i workout every day, no excuses, but the more i run or the more time spent on the elliptical the bigger they get. i want the muscles to get smaller. please help, i'm so close to start smoking in order to cut muscle mass...and i really don't want to suck on cancer sticks for skinnier legs

Ilona Master
Username: balticgirl

Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 11:19 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently joined the private club "Better Bodies", which is same as "Curves". It works on a work/rest principle alternating between exercise on the hydraulic strength machines and recovery on aerobic stations such as step benches between each machine.
In 2 months I saw a good result, but (there is always but): my calfs are getting to big. It scares me. I asked a person, who usually there and supposed to know an answers on all kind fitnes-related questions, but she told me that it shouldn't happened to me and she doesn't know what to do...
Any suggestions out here? At least what can I do to help me?
Thanks.

toby loc
Username: tobyloc

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 10:40 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like you're noticing you're calves being big when you're actually working them, are they really much bigger on the days when you're not and the blood isn't pumping like mad through the muscle? As you're doing an exercise on your calves that they're not used to (like stepping) then they will get a bit bigger in response to this, particularly as you've just started.However unless you start increasing the intensity that you're doing the stepping or increase the resistance (i.e. higher steps) then your calves should plateau in size, there is no need for them to be stronger or have better endurance so they will not get bigger. This is also limited by your genetics, you are a woman and it's high levels of testosterone in men that really increase the size of muscles (hence anabolic steroids mimic testosterone). So basically don't worry, they won't get much bigger, have you reduced a lot in body fat? Some might have come off around your calves making the muscle more pronounced. Also try suggest to the class leader that you don't do stepping and do one of the less calf intense exercises, anything on your legs is likely to use your calves but for instance cycling would be less intence than stepping.

Hope that helps.

Also Monica, your fitness plan seems very good (including the weight training you missed Jean Paul!) He might have a point though about nutrition, as your exercising very well it simply has to be a matter of diet. 1200-1400 doesn't sound like much but it's difficult to tell as I don't know how old you are,how much you weigh and how tall you are? The weight training will be putting a bit of muscle on particularly to start with but not too much, are you keeping the reps high? 15+? Anyway, a little musccle will help increase your metabolism to shift more pounds. Where are you finding clothes tight? Scales aren't always the best measure of bodyfat loss, try taking measurements with a tape measure wherever your body tends to store fat the most (often on women a measurement around the upper thigh or waist is good) and look at that with time instead of the scales. Or even better see a fitness instructor or personal trainer to get your body fat recorded, then you can check again in a month or so. As for the nutrition, try eating exactly what you had the day before but write EVERYTHING down, every drink, drop of oil, weigh and calculate the calories in EVERYTHING. It's VERY easy to subconciously forget things and overeat the wrong things without noticing, weekend splurges or alcohol should be taken into account to. Then you'll have a better idea of where you are going wrong.

JJ
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 09:07 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fitness Expert: When you see fat overweight woman and men in aerobics class or the gym trying to get in shape for months on months- but then you notice there physique has not changed at all ! that because they doing something wrong Or if you see a man or woman in the Golds Gym (type gym) and the physique looks the same in 12 months as the day they started -then something they did was wrong ! I will reveal the truth to make a long routine story short not like many atricles you see in books and on the web that make you read alot just to get to the point, I will reveal to those blessed enough to read this letter the facts on exercise so read on. First 1. You cannot mimic /copy the physique of a model or bodybuilder on the covers of the magazines most of thoses people are starving there bodies (woman barely eating) or using prescription muscle enhancers sold at hospitals and pharmacy (like steroids and the alternatives -HGH use). 2 to lose weight do cardio combined with diet meal plan. The diet would be like this : stir fry (which is japanese style of cooking) sirfry is just called stir fry not deep fry foods - is just the name. So the meal plan would be not to eat alot of food eat 6 small snacks (some say meals) 6 snacks healthy snacks per day. Spaced every 4 hours every 4 hours drink plain water -with the small meals -eat stirfry light meals -no white bread no milk unless is skim fat free. Stirfry light meal eating plan when you get a desire for dessert eat a fruit and plain water, bannana is a solid healthy fruit eat solid fruit like a bannana ect. grapefruit is not solid fruit. Oranges are not solid fruit ect. Apple be solid fruit. Drink plenty of water spaced out hours in the days. and eat super light dinner and lunch meals a example that a super model named Vicky would use: Morning Breakfast- no bagels that's white bread-but she would have a cup yogart a apple 3hours later drink spring water bottle, Lunch- a salad but would eat only half the salad instead the whole chicken salad ( like children they never clean the plate unless the parents make them ect)so do like a child never clean the plate also. She would throw the other half salad in the trash can. 3 hours later a spring water bottle is on her lips again! then - time for dinner her and a girlfriend and buddy goes out for dinner, her girl pal orders stirfry style meals/ meal. her friend says "I want the Vegetarian stirfry meal!" but she herself gets, the chicken or turkey salad with low fat dressing ( ok to have low fat dressing just dont pig out on the fat)then she has a small coke with the salad. This is repeated every day the same eating style the only difference is - at lunch and/or breakfast she substitue a item with a bannana ,apple ect , and she drink alot of water (speaking of water most the so called spring water bottles is just water fountain water) so why then buy a soda bottle pour out the corn syrup and carbon gas -and add water fountain water to the bottle - the same as the so-called spring water- sold in stores) I have tasted real "country spring water" before taste: like a mild cool sweetness- because water passes through the rocks on the ground that is natures filter system -but the spring water in stores is just plain chlorine tap water or water fountin water the kids drink -ect.) before bed she does not eat and she does cardio aerobic early upon rising in the morning then showers or showers first go to a gym then showers twice that is if she desides to go to a gym also just a note- models in the magazines are body conscience meaning they primp and take showers........ alot....... not like the normal people on the streets that primp themselves- very little. The workout this is the best way to get fast results: You have to do this format also the exercise routine even though most models dont lift weights but the fitness models do lift. Do this and in 4 weeks look in the mirror every 4 weeks as a overview of one self. DIET: Stirfry , Solid dense fruits , plenty of water , small healthy snack every 4 hours CARDIO: Aerobics 5 /6 days a week 30 min max. fat starts to melt away only after done over 20 minutes. Aerobic dont do the same routine every workout that is why alot of people get bored and lose interest ect. alternate machines. Many woman use the treadmill and that's all! No!!! use all the cardio equipment- one perday even use the jump rope ..... if you not too overly overweight. Do Aerobics early in the morning on a empty stomach .....and when you finish drink a glass of plain water...... cardio 5/6 days a week Saturday off. Weight training can be done any time of the day....... Perform multi joint movements for example- Bench press is multi joint "upright rows" be the multi joint . Stay far away from "non-multijoint" moves......like concentration curls -ect. is a waste of time the person that invented the idea of the con. curl was a bodybuilder -that claimed increases the peak in the biceps..... But this is false for the natural bodybuilder. If a person is on the roids then any exercise will inhanced them. but-for the natural person...the peak be the - genetics. As if no two indivinduals -calve muscles- are the same look. Pick one exercise per muscle angle/ part. (2 sets-12 reps) at 12 reps increase the resistance, slightly some increase weight every two weeks 10 pounds. Days to workouts: Example- Sunday back then biceps , Monday abs then calves , Tuesday Chest Triceps , Wednesday -upper thighs and hamstrings (no calves on this day) Thursday is abs. and the forearms - Friday shoulders and neck. TOTAL BODY WORKOUT ...... Saturday: off. Cardio -Monday thru Friday 30 minutes alter what you do every cardio day. Even if you have to take Tae bow or Bruce lee Kung- Fu ect - on a few days. You was just handed the KEYS ! Dated: 5-5-05

A Teen who knows fitness
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie: "is it makeing me to big in the butt?"

Referring to "fat" as in body fat or in streghten, toned butt? Having a good bottom is good in a way, shows more as in muscluar/fitness wise. Cycling is a good way to work it. Having your clothes tighter is a good sign in body fitness if you are exercising/working out. Having a good diet is also good, but also eat more "healthies" to keep a healthy, fit body.

Floyd
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 03:22 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could someone please explain what cardio, ressistance training, and weight training are? It sounds like ressistance and weight training are the same thing...

Mr. Knight
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 01:23 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm no pro at this kind of stuff, but wouldn't doing lots of squats as posted by James Lytle make your thighs thicker. I'm not seeing how this would burn fat in the butt area.

personal trainer
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 11:09 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone who is interested in losing fat should read up on information about heart rate training. The body burns fat most efficiently when it is between 70-85% of one's maximum heart rate during cardio workouts. If you go anaerboic (not able to say three words between breaths because you are breathing so hard) your body begins to burn glycogen instead of fat. At the same time, if you are not pushing your body hard enough you are not burning fat as effectively and efficiently either. The most reliable and scientific way of burning your stored fat is to figure out your target heart rate and use it every cardio session. Check on line for the Karvonen method of finding your target heart rate.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information