Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Fitness Questions * Workout advice plz? < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 07:09 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

im male, 5'6'', 16, and i either weigh 150 or 170 pounds (i think my scale is messed up) and i wear size 38. i dont think im fat, but ppl say i am, i noticed i have some "breast" but i am athletic, i do eat lot of junk food and i dont drink water til like every other month or so.
i signed with balley total fitness and just wondering if i should gain muscle or lose weight or do both at same time or something i dunno!!!
reason why i am asking is because i saw stretch marks on my hips, and i never had that b4. what do i do im a fitness newbie! 8(

joecool8746

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 04:27 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should be weight training and trying to lose weight at the same time. Before your weight training take a run on the whatever equipment or tracks are available. It may not be much at first, but stick with it and you'll improve. Weight training will also help turn some of your fat into muscle, and running will burn excess calories.

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 07:10 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do plenty of cardio, add some weight training in aswell, but mostly cardio, this will burn body fat and the weight training will speed up your Metabolic rate which burns fat at rest, forget about turning fat into muscle, it can't be done, two diffferent tissues, just concentrate on burning bodyfat

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 03:43 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

use bally total fitness to work out as much as possible and of course cut down on your junk food intake

Anonymous (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 02:13 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

im male, 5'10 23yrs old...weigh about 220lbs...My BMI is in the danger zone. I have been working out for about a 2 weeks now. My current routine is working out on the eliptical for about an 1/2 to hour a day for 4-5 days a week. Do you think this is a good workout routine, or do u think i should include lifting weights. Can u guys suggest a routine for myself. Because what i really want to do is lose my gut and my fairly large breast ( for a male). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 10:11 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am pretty much toned up every where else but my butt area....i dont know what to do. I've tried a few exercises but they dont work~help?!?

John O'Mally (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 04:34 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am pretty much toned up everywhere EXCEPT my face? How do I achieve chiseled features?

mll

Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 12:03 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr 5'10" 23 yr old, I would suggest that you cut your cardio training down to: 5 min. warm-up 20 min. intrval cardio 5 min. cool-down (30 min total) and do a circuit weight training routine. If this is all Greek to you I would highly suggest you work with a personal trainer at least to get you on the right path. If you decide to do this ask the following:
1) ask for references
2) ask about education. a degree in exercise science, or physiology will work or a certification by ACE, ACSM, or NSCA are the best I feel.
3) ask about experience (you may want to judge a book by its cover. at least you know he/she is doing something right)
GOOD LUCK in your endeavors!!!

Lucy
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 07:44 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am rather confused. I do not know if I am working out properly. I was told that I should do cardio and weight training on separate days. But, I want to loose more fat. Should I do cardio on my weight training days as well? If so, before or after the weight training session?

BABE RUTH
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 09:07 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

workout 4 days a week (nothing too intense, but enough that I should be gaining some mass) and I was wondering if taking a supplement would help with muscle growth? Do you think Creatine would help? I tried the 100% whey protein 3 times a day last year and didn't seem to change my body at all, but I don't know if that was because I was working out every day and not giving my muscle any rest or what. I am currently working out every other day for every muscle group and resting on my days off. Please let me know what you think.

Fatima Muhammad
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 12:23 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. 5'10 23 year old, I think what you have gotten into a routine and that's the problem. When you exercise, you want to make sure that you intensify your workout if not weekly; monthly. What you have to start doing is using other cardio machines that will work towards fat burning. Your body will get use to a routine workout and it will resist causing no result in weight lost. That machine is an excellent start, but add the treadmill (jogging or running) or the bike, this will stretch your workout and increase your metabolism which is what you want. Also don't forget to through in some weight training at least 2-4 days a week. Good luck and I hope your successful in the end.

annononeemous
Username: cargirl

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:16 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

fat doesn't turn into muscle. Fat cells shrink and muscles become more visible. I find that 5 days of cardio (30 mins at least) combined with 3 days of light weight/ high rep training will help you out. I usually warm up on a cardio machine, and then proceed to weight training, followed by my cardio blast at the end of the session ensures that i'm not too exhausted to lift my weights. Cardio can take alot out of you.

Tricia
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 01:36 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I heard or read somewhere not to exercise everyday to give your muscles a rest or something. Is this true? Would it be better to do 300 situps everyday or 600 situps every other day? Thanks

Russ
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 01:01 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I workout at least 4 times a week, i work chest, back and arms twice and legs twice. the problem is that my workout tends to excede the time i have to do it. my question is how many times a week should i work a muscle group. my goals are to strength and some mass in that order.

Jessica Smith
Username: latino

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 01:39 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there's no real technical answer to that question, but if you have been doing 2 times a week of each so far and you decrease it you are going to get less results.

however, if you try to vary things up, you may be able to stay within your time restraints without decreasing the effectiveness.
you can try to change things by increasing the weight you are using, but decreasing the amount of reps/set. this is the most common way to improve mens training habits (to get longer, leaner muscles [which women generally want] you use lighter weights but increase the reps).

if you can increase the weight and decrease the reps this will take less time than currently and hopefully will also help to build up your strength and muscle as well!

newbie1971
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 08:38 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am female 5'2" 150 pounds and have just started working out to lose the 30 pounds I have gained since quitting smoking 10-17-03. I am going 6 days a week and am currently doing 30 minutes on the eliptical (burn approx 330 calories) and then a circuit training which takes approx 20 minutes to complete (set up by gym alternating cardio/weights every 30 seconds). My question is how soon should I start seeing some results? I eat pretty healthy nothing fried, fat free dressings and a lot of fruit and salad. Any help will be much appreciated ---- I really am enjoying the workouts jsut want to make sure that I am on the right track.

CHRISTI MAGES
Username: inke

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 10:03 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I AM 36 GOING ON 37. 5'4" ABOUT 190 POUNDS. I HAVE BEEN WORKING OUT FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS ON MY LUNCH BREAK. I WALK/RUN ON THE TREADMILL FOR 30 MINS. THEN WORK ON UPPER BODY ONE DAY & THE NEXT LOWER BODY WITH WEIGHTS. I AM JUST WONDERING IF WHAT I AM DOING IS ENOUGH. I WOULD LIKE TO LOSE 50 POUNDS BY JUNE. SUGGESTIONS WELCOME. THANKS!

Jessica Smith
Username: latino

Post Number: 14

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 02:56 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christi, if you are doing this 5 days a week (which i assume you are) then it sounds like a great program. alternating the upper and lower body work is great also. will you lose 50 pounds by june?? i'm not sure. it will depend on a few things. 1. your diet as well as your exercise and 2. how you are going to vary your program in the next few months.

remember that every 6 weeks or so you should vary your program a bit to 'shock' the body. if you continue with this current program for 6 weeks and you have lost weight from it that is great, but if you just continue doing the same thing, after that initial period you will see less results.

so maybe after 6 weeks try adding in some different upper/lower body work, or even see if for a couple of weeks you can use the treadmill for the full hour and then the next day do all your weight work and alternate like that for a few weeks. that way you are using the same amount of time but just changing it a bit so your body is tested more (especially with the hour on the treadmill).

or if that doesn't appeal to you, just try to get so that you can run the full 30 mins on the treadmill, (because that is a huge achievement) and also start interval training on the treadmill. try jogging slowly for 5 minutes, then increasing to a moderate pace for 5 minutes than increasing again to a very fast pace for 5, followed by a decrease back down, or something similar.

finally if possible, try adding in another activity after 6 weeks, even if it's just going for a walk on a sunday arvo or something.

Good luck, and hope i was some help :-)

Mike Radtke
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 01:38 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HELLO,
I AM ABOUT 32 Y/O. I SUFFERED A HEAD INJURY WHILE IN THE MILITARY. KEEP IN MIND, I CANNOT RUN AND MY BALANCE IS PRETTY SHAKY. I'VE NOTICED I'VE BEEN GETTING A BELLY. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TYPES OF EXERCISES I CAN DO WITHOUT WEIGHTS.

Myriah Delgado
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 01:44 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lately I have notices that most of my fat stays around my upper abdomen. My pants fit fine, but my stomach, from my belly button and up, sticks way out. I have weighed more and not had this problem. What causes this and what exercises can I do to help?

Adam88
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 04:28 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey all my name is Adam, I am 17 years old. I weigh 195-200 lbs and i am 6'3". I just got a membership to bally's with my brother who is 30, 5'10" 170 lbs. and we want to do a full body workout but mainly want to focus on biceps, triceps and Abs. Could someone give me full advice and a plan since this will be my first time to build my body? My brother and I are going to work out 4 days a week.

Joepr
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 06:25 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm 5'11, 200 lbs. Back in December 2005, I was weigthing 220. I joined the gym in Feb and I feel great since. At first it takes a lot of will power. I started with the treadmill where I walk at a fast pace for 10 mins, then run for another 10, then walk for another 10 mins. I take a few mins rest, then go the free weights, then after the free weights I go and repeat the same exercises with the machines. I give myself a one day rest even if I feel guilty. By the way, oatmeal works wonders in the diet part. Stay away from fried food.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information