Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Fitness Questions * Any Great Fitness Tips? < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Korin Waugh (Admin)

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 11:53 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey anybody have any great fitness tips?

Brige Levac

Rating: 
Votes: 8 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 08:35 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

im 130 pounds and im only 5 foot tall, i want to lose addlest 20 pounds so i can feel good about myself, and i would like to start trying could you help me to get in good helth and good fitness?

barbie

Rating: 
Votes: 7 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 03:11 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

im 14, tall, at 123 pounds, and i really want to loose weight, so did sum research. Drinking plenty of water helps. I started doing so, just two weeks ago. At first it wuz hard to drink those 8cups, but after a while, i got so used to it, that now im constantly thirsty. I read that the majority of ppl mistake the need of water for hunger. Also cut down on carbs.

Niki C.

Rating: 
Votes: 3 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 08:53 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what barbie said with a word of advice: cut DOWN not OUT the carbs. It will damage your health AND when you stop dieting you'll gain more weight than you started with

Anonymous

Rating: 

Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 10:21 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been exercising at the gym. I use the stairmaster and the bicycle for 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. Then I do some strength training. All I drink is water. Sometimes apple juice. I haven't lost any weight, however I have dropped 2 pant sizes I am now into a 8-9.

Mel

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 02:20 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, when dieting, you don't want to starve yourself, because if you are not eating enough, your body will think it's going to starve, and start storing fat.

barbie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 12:44 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah, wat Mel sed makes sence. If u starve yourself, your body goes into "survival mode" and stores any fat it recieves. Instead, try eating 5 smaller meals per day, and drinking water whenever you get a craving.

Daniel Lane

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 05:31 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yea kl wat "Barbie" said and try as well as workin out one day a week constant workout run everywhere 4 one week it helps loads

Daniel Lane

Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 05:34 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yea kl wat "Barbie" said and try as well as workin out. do one day a week constant workout & run everywhere 4 one week it helps loads

Alexis A.

Rating: 
Votes: 4 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 07:38 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

im 13 turning 14,and i am 201pounds.But i am tall
for my age.And im all around junk food.how can i resist?

Lauren

Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 03:46 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yea, same here. I am around junk food a lot. I try to resist it but my family eats a lot of fast food and sweets. What do I do?

Matthew Brown

Rating: 
Votes: 6 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 10:11 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm 21, male, and an avid workout-junkie, and thought I'd come on here for some advice, but I thought i'd give some too. If you're going to eat junk food (avoid like the plague, but if you have to...) always go for chicken. Bad quality chickhen has less fat than bad quality meat (though good quality meat generally has less fat than good quality chicken-depending on the cut... but fast food is almost always bad-quality).

Secondly... if you're trying to cut pounds, it's always about patience. it takes a long time (generally 5 lb.s a months is the most you can lose-healthfully, and hop to keep it off). This means, losing weight is an endurance test, you have to be able to keep up your regimen for a long time--so make sure it's bearable. Some people (like me) can bear to kill themselves every day in the gym, but if you can't, then find what level of workout you can handle doing every day for several months. Working out 20 minutes a day 7 days a week is more helpful for weight loss than working out 1 hour a day, 2 days a week.

ok, I'll stop blabbering, good luck everyone.

Anonymous

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 01:55 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i like special k diet, skim milk and special k makes a great meal with fruit or veggies. also, run run run, it can cut weeks off your diet time, i am 5'9" and weigh 150 lbs, i am trying to lose at least 15 pounds, im getting there, but don't give up!

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 03:36 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mom is trying to lose weight so she can do more things with me and my brother if any one knows a good way without taking pells email me at
tsgcheeseball@msn.com

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 02:39 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need help real fast!I've been working out, and I've also modified my diet, reduced fats and cut out junk food but there's no change, especially round my middle.Please tell me, how do I work out and how often and what should I do to lose the fat round my tummy?

sexibabe

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 11:47 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey i have gained 10 pounds since the summer started and i cant seem to lose it. i try to work out but i cant always do it everyday. what should i do? i need to lose weight on my thighs.

Laura

Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 10:43 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was (and still kind of am) a complete junk fod person!!! I used to eat when I was bored, and during the summer, that's a lot!!! So I convinced my mom do hide the sweets from me!! My family knows where they are, but I don't!! It works great!! If I want anything unhealthy, i have to ask my mom and she MIGHT get it for me!! If you're really desperate and a compulsive eater, try this!!!

Anonymous

Rating: 

Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 10:45 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you eat when you are bored, you should try this: Get a package of low fat graham crackers, with the lowest calories you can find. If you're ever bored and feel like eating, eat the graham crackers!! Works like a charm!!
(Also you can use low fat unbuttered popcorn!)

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 03:21 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

all these things sound good at first, but the way to lose weight and keep it off is a lifestyle change, you have to look at it from a different perspective. we live in bodies that love to gain weight and a society that caters to that with more junk food than we know what to do with. having the attitude that you are helping your body become more healthy is the best motivation to diet also, exercise not only helps you loose weight and reshape your body it gives you increased energy overall. its more than just cutting down on sweets and junk, its a whole body change, that includs our mentality

Mini me

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 05:28 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a 12 Year old boy that is 155 Lbs. I want to wieght 125 before football try-outs on August 26 because I don't wan't to play lineback.Can anybody help me?

becky

Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 08:49 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi im 18. and 60lbs overweight. i eat healthy, im just lazy. lol. so i decided to join a gym, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the best methods of losing weight with exercise.

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 09:52 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if you do 20-30 minutes of stregnth training in addition to 20 minutes of cardio 4 times a week, it helps you shave weeks off a diet

Vangel

Posted on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 11:01 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, Fellow dieters. I'm 5.4 ft. and 129lb. I've lost half my college weight and am still on the way down. Since you all sound so eager to lose weight and get fit, I just wanted to make sure you know that the most reliable and healthy way to lose weight is to make little changes.

That way you get used to a new healthy lifestyle gradually and learn to love it. For example, if you get a sandwich, cut the mayo or get mustard instead. If your family and friends go to McDonalds, order a salad. Little things add up. Good luck.

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 01:33 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a question for anyone who can answer... I do 50 sit ups and 50 crunches everyday for my abs but it only seems to be working on my upper abs. What can I do for my lower abs? Also next to my hip bones I have a little fat..not a lot but it looks bad what can i do for that?? Thanks!

Anonymous

Rating: 
Votes: 4 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 02:17 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As for your lower abs, do leg lifts and scissors. A little fat on your hips isn't really a bad thing. Again, people need to focus on what their actual goal is. Do you want to lose fat and be physically fit, or do you want to weigh less and be skinny?
You can be skinny and die from high cholesterol.
This all comes down to physical fitness. If you are a female of 5'9" and a C cup, there is little chance you are going to weigh 115 lbs and be healthy.
Your body style and height is going to determine what your weight will be when you are healthy.
Modify your diet. It is easy to do. Try to maintain no more than 1,500 calories per day (men) and 1,200 calories per day (women) while losing weight. Every fast-food chain has nutrition information on their website (and usually at the restaurant). Count calories and fat intake. Visit your physician and start an exercise routine. 15 minutes on a bike and 20 minutes on the treadmill should yeild a burn of about 250-300 calories. Try adding strength training to your routine. AND GET A WORKOUT PARTNER... especially if you know someone that dislikes you --- they can really help motivate you! It is easy to fall off the wagon if you are alone. Don't let this happen. If you are unhappy with your body, fix it. It can be done.
Take it from a guy who in 11 months has gone from 259 lbs to 198 lbs, increased his bench from 135lbs to 220lbs, dropped from a size 38 waist to a size 30, and doesn't need as much sleep anymore!
I know it hurts at first, but the effort has been worth it.

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 12:10 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok yea this may sound stupid but whut r siccors? also whut about ur theighs...? i know the treadmill and bike will help but are there any other things to help? i do strength too i do 50 push ups a day plaus im a gymnast. so thanks for the help!

Anonymous

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 04:46 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scissors are when you lie on your back, raise your legs approx. 5 inches off the floor, and cross your legs over one another, alternating the top leg. Start with your legs apart, then (keeping your legs straight) cross the right one over the left. Then cross the left one over the right -- in a "scissor" motion. Do this as rapidly as you can, and for as many reps as you can. If it helps, try supporting yourself by placing your hands on your lower back to push your hips up.
Thighs -- okay. Inner or outer?
50 push-ups is really a warmup. Most people doing a physical routine for strength building do 250-300 pushups / situps. I know this sounds insane. If you aren't to that level, try some lower impact exercises: Cycling, walking, etc. Generally speaking, you should see 80-100 calories burned in a 20 minute session.
Physical fitness is a complicated thing. Basically you want to stop the routine of putting garbage into your body. You can still eat until you are full, so long as you keep your calorie intake and FAT intake down. Low sodium helps too. Try taking your BMR and substracting the amount of calories you actually consume. Then, take into account the exercise you do. 1lb of fat = 3200 calories (roughly). This should help you figure out what you can REASONABLY expect as far as weight loss / total physical fitness goals.

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 08:46 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm 11 and 5' 3" I weigh 127 is that over weight?

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 11:49 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am 5'4 and weigh about 147 pounds. in the last few years i have notived that i have gained some weight. it's mostly in my tummy and my " love handels" everything else doesn't bother me so how do i get rid of all this extra fat in my stomach and sides.

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 04:37 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm 16, 5'2, and about 135-140. I'm proud because since I was 13 I have lost a lot of weight. I went from a size 8 in 8th grade, to a 3 now as a junior in high school. But since I'm so short I don't look like I'm in good shape. I've tried so many times to do excercising everyday but I do it for about a week and then quit because I don't see ANY difference. And people say it takes about 1 month to lose 5 pounds. Now I want to get down to about 120. So if those people are right it would take me 4 months! And that is so far away and I know that I will give up after a week again because I have no patience what so ever. Is there any other way that I can lose more weight faster?

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 07:54 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm 15...Around 5'5...About 130 pounds...Is That Overweight?

Mag

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 07:04 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 16 and 4'11 and am 125lbs...i want to lose 20 lbs but am having a little trouble .... see last september i was about 140lbs so i have lost about 15lbs but it seems that i am stuck around the 125 mark but i know it will come down with time. All i have to tell anyone that is trying to lose weight is that U CAN DO IT i wannted to lose weight fast but that wasnt gonna work sorry its the truth with time and much much effert u will lose weight and be serprised and feel so much better with yourself .... i didnt even do that much to lose my wight i just changed my eating habbits a litte i thoight twise about eating soemthing ... the best thing to do is what i am doing now .... put less on your plate when u sit to eat dinner .and try to leave a little food on your plate as well dont put butter on your bagel or toast but honey... clean your room you arents will be happy and u willl burn cal's ..... i am alwase doing the dishes cleaning my room or my sisters jsut thins to keep be bissy....it helps trus me! AND really i know that there is no fast sultion out there for losing fat that any of us teens can do ....so just start now dont give up everything just start giving up a little bit of it .... dont eat the hole cholect bar it a bite and if u are craving sugar have juice it HELps omg so much ... i thouight i was craving candy but when i had a glass of juice i didnt crave the candy anymore .... well good luck to all u guys and u can do it ....

harriet

Rating: 

Posted on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 08:23 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you want to know if you are overweight, they might not always be reliable, but using a BMI calculator will help you to decide, not asking people on here if you're overweight!

If you are doing situps and only your 'upper abs' are looking good - first of all you don't just have upper and lower abs, there are different groups such as obliques etc. You are only working your superficial ab muscles, whereas if you start doing different types of situps you will end up working all your ab muscles. Also try 'core exercises' where you are working your core muscles and strength, so you are not just working your fake looking ab muscles, but instead strengthening and getting a more efficient body.

I find the best and easiest things to do when trying to lose weight and feel good are carrying a water bottle with you wherever you go, so you drink lots and don't have hunger urges. Also, throw out junk food and start buying healthier - if the junk food isn't there, you aren't going to snack on it. Veggies aren't that bad once you get into them, especially for snacks while watching tv like carrot sticks, celery etc. And fruit is delicious too, especially for me fruits like strawberries and the fruit smoothies you can make with them and yoghurt. (and anything else healthy u want ;))

As for exercise, find something you enjoy doing and find a partner. Sign up for a club, a membership or lessons so you are pretty much obligated to go or you're wasting your money! The buddy will help to motivate you, just don't get someone lazier than you are or you won't get far! ;) And if you enjoy doing it, then you won't see exercise as a chore anymore and will exceed your expectations.

Think positive, and most importantly don't lose your motivation or will to succeed. Good luck to everyone. :D

Virginia Heart

Posted on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 09:31 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey-

I'm 25yrs old, 5ft 8inch, and way 132lbs. I did way 180lbs when I was 17 and was DEPRESSED. I lived in a family of 7 and would sneak into the kitchen and eat when everybody was busy, food it tempting!!!! Now I listen to music and try to SMILE, I'm refreshed. Just being happy helped me eat and think less about food.

Also (just for you too think about) my friend told me that it takes around 30 min. for you stomach to tell you you're FULL so that can also be why some of us eat too much. I hope you remember to smile today and don't forget your New Years resolutions.

Anonymous

Rating: 

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 06:42 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forget Breakfast or lunch. Let yourself be hungry, you will also get used to the changes on food amount. It's good to be hungry. I am only 13, close to 14, but I lose weight as I am growing. Try exercise, eat a carrot when hungry. Have a hansens drink for breakfast, it is healty and doesn't add any weight. Everthing in my life is organise, but hard. Food is part of it. Two meals is all you need and anything else better only be fruit or vetables. PUSH YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BE CARELESS ABOUT WHAT YOU NEED, just follow my instructions. Also this will give you more time in the day.

Josh Lovewell

Posted on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 07:18 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok I'm 16 and 210 in 6'2 and need to lose wait but can't figure why i'm not. I work every other day because of school so what kind of exercises would i need to do in order to get a hard chest and stomach?

Anonymous

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 09:50 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous (dec.12)
I was just wondering why you feel that you have to starve yourself at 14 years old? breakfast and lunch are very important meals. you should eat when you are hungry, it is very detrimental to your health if you do not. good advice: EVERYTHING IN MODERATION- you can eat what you want as long as you don't overload on things that are bad for your body. i am sure that you are a beautiful young lady and yes, your body is growing. so i wanted to suggest to you that you not hinder your development by starving yourself. please do not be careless about what you need. your body will let you know if it needs something. you are a unique individual, you body was created just for you. take care of it. it is a gift.

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 07:53 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only thing that will get rid of the fat(exercise-wise) is cardio.
Other exercises won't matter if there is a layer of fat covering it.

joecool8746

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 04:33 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your goal should be not to lose weight, but to lose fat. Muscle weighs more than fat nautrally, and by weight training you will gain more weight than you lose. The important thing is that you lose fat weight. It's not that hard to measure. Look in the mirror or grab your skin and see how thick it is. Record your current weight, waist size, and if possible your body fat percentage (some gyms will provide this service). After a solid 8 weeks of training record your results and see how far you've improved. Don't lose weight, lose fat.

joecool8746

Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 04:40 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As far as I'm concerned JUNK FOOD IS THE DEVIL. This does not mean as of this very moment you should never have another chip in your life, but it means you need to stop. If you don't have the self control to just say NO, than take some smaller steps. Start off by cutting something small out of your diet, like cookies. Move onto chips and then all processed candies, followed by all soda, and finally anything full of sugar, which is basically poison. If you're around fst food a lot or junk food you'll never have a chance to stop saying NO, so you won't get diet lazy. If you crave something sweet get some FRESH Fruit at the store. Fruit salads are great tasting and great for you.

Elyse (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 11:00 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey everyone im 15 years old and im short (4'9ish) i weigh 85 lbs but i want to be 80... whats the easiest way to lose that last 5 lbs????
me email is hyperchic2288@aol.com

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 03:55 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Elyse, you are uh really skinny weighing only 85 pounds, you do not need to lose any weight, but if you insist, then do it the same way everybody has to. Eat less fat, excersise more. get into an after school sport, do something physical everyday
that goes for everybody wanting to lose weight

Jody Forrester (Unregistered Guest)

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 03:16 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MOVE! That's the best advice I've got. I've lost over 60 lbs, with 20 still to go to get to my goal weight. I exercise EVERY day, doing SOMETHING. We are still hunter-gatherers, in terms of physical evolution. We're supposed to have to spend six or eight hours a day hiking around in the forest trying to get enough food together to survive, not 8 hours a day at a desk and 7.5 hours a night in front of the TV, and 8 hours sleeping, and half an hour "working out" (only 3 times a week, though, "to give your body a chance to heal," what a LOAD!) Of COURSE we gain weight.

Now, I take every opportunity I can to move a bit. I wear leg weights every day around the house and at work, to add a bit of extra muscle work. (Careful how you walk if you try this - don't swing your leg, but place your foot carefully as you set it down, or you'll injure your knee and not be able to exercise at all.) I keep a set of light dumbells handy by my desk and by the couch at home, and instead of running for the junk food during commercials or coffee breaks, I do some upper body work. Same thing with the trusty "Thighmaster," which you can squeeze with your knees or your hands, in any case, it's resistance, and gets your heart rate up for a few minutes. I do this about every hour, for a few minutes, at work or when I'm watching TV. Or I drop and do 20 pushups - at least 4x/day. Same with crunches. Really, how hard is this and how long would it take you, and who would know? Or care?

Also - my embarassing secret: I hula. I turn on Aloha Joe's Hawaiian music internet radio show on the office computer, and "ami" (that's the hip rotation thing) for a while when things get slow. You don't actually have to know how to hula properly to have fun with this. If you can count to four, you can do this: step sideways, one-two, roll hips, step back, one-two, keep rolling hips. Great for abs. Using torso elevates heart rate - it's the Hawaiian answer to Pilates. Get your arms into it, just goof around. And here is your music: http://www.alohajoe.com/kjoe.htm
If you don't dig the hula, put on some other kind of music and spend a few minutes looking like an idiot doing the dance of your choice - AGAIN, WHO IS GOING TO KNOW? And look, if you did this twice or 3 times a day for 10-15 minutes at a time, you just got in 30 minutes of cardio, and it wasn't a lousy grind. (Okay, maybe a grind, but also a bump. Fun is key.)

I don't drive to places within reasonable walking distance anymore. I use the stairs, I don't look for the closest parking spot, all that stuff. But I also GO for a walk of a minimum of 1 hour, usually 1 1/2 - 2 hours, twice a day. And I live in the rainiest, coldest climate imaginable (Prince Rupert, British Columbia, up by Alaska on the coast, so don't you give me no excuses about exercising in inclement weather!) If you have a dog, you can feel very righteous about taking it with you and giving the pet its share of exercise and attention.

And I swim. Most every day. For at least an hour, however I break that up. Sometimes only 40 minutes in the morning, and longer at night, sometimes an hour all in one shot, sometimes 2 hours, if I'm energetic. Actually, I do exercises in water, and use "floats" - spongy things that are to exercise in water what weights are on land. Leg floats go around your ankles, and hand floats look like dumbells. They REALLY up the resistance of the water on all sides, and are great for both aerobic and light strength training AT THE SAME TIME, how cool is that? Go to an aquacise class, if we have them here, they have them everywhere. You can exercise longer in water than on land, because your body core temp stays low.

That's the real bottom line: EXERCISE LONGER. Our bodies were made to have to do that. If we had to chase and kill our food like we used to, we would not be here at this website. Ever see a fat cheetah? Okay - last thing: Jody's Wild Kingdom Diet, designed to mimic primitive life. Get a friend to attach a bag of Doritos to the rear bumper of the car, and have him drive around at 5-8 mph, while you run behind. What you can catch, you can eat. :D

Note: Unless your goal is just to maintain the weight you are now, DO NOT EAT extra food/calories as you increase your activity level, a la my mother, who thinks attending an aquasize class justifies stopping at Dairy Queen on the way home as a "reward." Or - yeah, she walks - to the pizza joint... Okay? You may feel hungrier for a while as you increase your energy output. Of course you will. Drink water. Eat an apple. Take a Sudafed. (Yes, pseudoephedrine in some over-the-counter cold/sinus medications is an appetite suppressant, and increases fat metabolism, but you didn't hear that from me, did you? Be careful, do not abuse this info. For emergencies and head colds only!) Or - go take another walk. Or tune in Aloha Joe, you'll fuggedaboudit and not want those chips if you get busy again.

Hope this helps someone. It sure did me. I feel almost human again.

Laur 02 (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 09:46 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi. im 5'5 and 142lbs. i want to lose atleast 5-10 lbs. do you have any tips on thinning your thighs down and getting rid of stomach fat?

stuq (Unregistered Guest)

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:26 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

im 6'1 and weigh 150-160 lbs.im a wrestler but i dont have much strength or time(practice is 2 1/2 hours long and i get tired as a dog.)if anyone can help with any diet tips to build the most body mass for the 2 1/2 hours, please help.i dont want to resort to creatine, anobolics or anything else, i just want to know healthier ways to gain mass without killen myself or getting roid rages.ive seen pretty brutal fights on hopped up guys and i dont want that.greatly appreciated if someone responded.

(Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 05:05 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The best way to get rid of bodyfat is aerobic exercise, do about 45-60mins 3 times a week, with this do cardio and add some light weight training in there, forget about exercising for about 3 hours a day, too much exercise is bad for you, remeber everything is good for you in moderation, this goes for exercise too, with the aerobic exercise you use your glycogen stores as energy, and with the weight training you will increase your metabolic rate which will enable you to burn fat at rest.

Jennifer (Unregistered Guest)

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 05:37 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi, I just wanted everyone to know that the only way to lose any weight or to get in physical shape is your own will-power. You have to push yourself to remain motivated. Here are a few tricks you can use to motivate yourself when you feel like you are not getting anywhere. Buy a pair of shorts that are too tight for you and once a week try them on, in the morning. Your weight is not the only thing to base your progress on. When you gain muscle it adds weight, and you may not see exactly how much you are getting in shape. Every time that you can fit into those jeans, buy a size smaller. Also, keep a picture of how you look now, to remind you of why you want to get in shape. Get over being shy or ashamed and just get out there and join a tennis league, softball league, or a swim team. Then you will have a goal to get in shape so that you will be better at the sport that you are playing. Good luck to you all. Remember, size means nothing as long as you are healthy and feel good about yourself. When you show confidence, no one will see your "problems".

ifdoing the right thing (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:31 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm 5'3 and weigh 140. My goal is lose at least 20 pounds by the middle of march or to at least get rid of my lard around my stomach. Lately, my friend and i wake up at 5:45 a.m. and start running at 6 a.m. we run for at least 45 min. because i have to go to work at 7:15 a.m. (and believe me i get there on time). I have starting to drink lots of water and have not drinked any soda. sometimes i drink ice tea. my diet is salads, fruits, and small meals. I just want to know if i am doing the right thing and are there any tips that i can get so i can lose them as soon as possible (and i can also give to my friend). I know it takes time to lose weight or to see a change but i am willing to stick to it and i will also appreciate any help i get.

Slightly Stunning Sean (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 11:17 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm 17, 6'1 and weigh 203. I am muscular, but don't look that way because I have something of a large "belly" area. Is there a way to lose the fat that is hanging around? My diet consists of water(quite a bit), very little soda(not a fan of the taste) and some, if any juice. I try to eat balanced meals, and I have fruits and veggies everyday.

I have one other question, if you have no access to a gym, (my parents won't let me), what are some good exercises?

mikan (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 07:10 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does exercising turn your FATS into MUSCLE? I've heard that if they turn into muscle it's very hard to get rid of them. what sports or activities help get rid of fats and which won't turn them into muscle???

(Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:49 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

fats can't turn into muscle, two different tissues, too get rid of the belly try going jogging, remeber to run upright though, don't lean over and run cause it's bad for your lumbar area.

(Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 12:52 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Over the past 3 years I've lost 165 lbs. I did it, by eating several small meals a day, and by staying active (walk when ever possible). I set small goals,two or three pounds at a time. Once I acheive that goal, I set the next. I would still like to lose another 20 pounds. The advise that I would give is: don't get discuraged, if you do happen to gain a pound or two back its no big deal... just take care of it before it turns into 10 or 20. Also, exercise you will never keep the weight off with out it.

suzanne (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 06:20 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i'm 5'3, 100 lbs- in no way am i overweight, but from my tummy to my thighs is really flabby!! i've recently started doing some yoga positions at home to try fix it, crunches and push-ups as well, but i'm still looking for some suggestions on gaining weight and getting rid of the dimples. i'm unable to join a gym, so any tips on things i can do at home? i'm impatient, i like fast results.

tawnya glowacki (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 02:47 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am 18 and am 5'1 and 115 lbs. i think im overweight and i want my tummy flab to be gone. i do armless sit ups every other day ( where you lay on the floor and lift your legs 6 in off the ground and then raise them as high as you can then back to 6 in again) and i workout for 20 mins at a time. i am also on my feet most of the day. i tried cutting all the carbs out of my diet, but i was hungry all the time. and im tired all the time too. and i dont know what to do.

Gizzine (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 10:52 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Suzanne and other girls in the same predicament, in order for you to gain weight(muscule) instead of fat, lift weights. And it will not take long because muscle weighs more than fat. Lifting weights will also get rid of the cellulite which causes those dimples. You are just a skinny person that needs definition. Make sure that the weight you choose is correct and you do it in the proper from or you will not get the results you want. Since you want to gain muscle without looking like a body builder, pick a weight that will exhaust your muscle after 5-6 repitions. Do 2 or 3 sets with a 30 second rest inbetween sets. Or do one super slow set. Super slow as in lifting the weight for 5 seconds and lowering for 5 seconds. Once you get all the muscle excercises done, an hour would have flown by. Do not weight train more than 3-4 days a week or your muscles will not get a chance to heal. 3days a week is best. You will notice yourself getting stronger after a week or two and start seeing results after 4-6 weeks, and your dimples will start to disappear, but this will take a little longer. Most importantly, you do not need to join a gym for this! You can get some weights from your local Wal-Mart or Target. They are really cheap! For a 8lb and 10lb pairs of free weights, you will pay about 25 bucks, which is not bad considering that you will not have have them forever! Also buy a Fitness magazine or Shape for some good weight training excersizes with free weights or look online and search under "free weight exercises". You will find lots of pages to help you. Good luck. I know there are a lot of girls out there who want to lose fat even though they are skinny, but still look 'flabby-skinned' and gain muscle without looking like a bodybuilder. Hope this helps.

sara (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 03:56 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi everyone i'm not fat or nethin bt i have recently noticed that i have bin putting alot of weight on but im a chocolate addict so how do i stop? ne1 got ne idea????

Lisa (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 07:06 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone!! I'm 5'4 125 lbs i'm in very good shape, except for side flab! I think some people call them love handles? it's very annoying because I have a flat stomach. I go to the gym 4 times a week and do 50 minutues of cardio and strength training 45 minutes 2 times a week, please helppppp! Thanks!

ghettomisses (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 09:00 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well i'm 14 at about 250 lbs and i'm so ashamed of myself most people say that i don't look it and i try everything but there's nothing to help me lose my weight i try to drink water and everything but nothin helps and it'll be really hard to try to lose this weight when i get older i try everything nothing will help me and i get made fun of and everything i wish i weighed like at least 150 so that means i am trying to lose at least 100 lbs and i have never heard of anyone losing that much lbs so i guess there's no hope for me.

lisa martens (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 01:58 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ghettomistress;
DO NOT GIVE UP!!! Look at it in smaller portions! 100 is a big number for the brain to process! If you just start now and give yourself, like 3 goals for 2 months.

For example, 1-I will exercise for 30 minutes 3x a week, 2-I will drink 8 cups of water/day, 3-I will not eat past 7pm at night.

Make this promise to yourself, and I bet after 2 months you will see/feel a change, physically and emotionally. Sometimes making a promise to yourself and keeping it has HUGE benefits to your self esteem and that will have a direct effect on your progress!! I believe you can do it!

Jo (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:57 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ghettomisses,

i have to agree with lisa, don't give up. and she's right, try setting little goals and once you reach them they will feel like huge accomplishments. don't be ashamed of yourself! things happen and sometimes they go beyond our control, but the thing to do is work on making things better. reward yourself. if you eat really healthy for three days straight then reward yourself with a cookie or some kind of sweet. then go longer with it. and if you get a temptation for something bad, just think about your goal and that in a few days you'll be able to eat a little something that's not so good for you. don't get discouraged. write yourself a note, with encouraging words, telling yourself don't give up. tell yourself that you are great no matter what and that you are doing this not only to look good, but to be healthy. and everytime you feel down, pull that note out and read it. i'm sure you'll feel a little better and get back on track. i've battled with my weight for a long time. i've found that this works for me, in the past two months i've lost 20 pounds this way. and plus excercising. walk. or jump rope or do jumping jacks. anything to get your heart rate up. you can do this!! don't give up. take it one day at a time. it's not going to happen over night. but some things are worth waiting for. and this is one. best of luck to you!!! you can do it!!

(Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 07:51 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ghettomisses:
Don't be so hard on yourself. Look in the mirror each day and thank God that you are healthy. Just like Lisa said in the previous post, you have to take it one day at a time with small goals. You did not gain the weight overnight and there are no quick fixes. Just be patient with youself and change things a little at a time so you wont feel deprived. Don't weigh yourself everyday. If you start working out just a little each day and drinking water instead of soda or at least drink diet soda, lots of little change over a period of time add up to big changes. Take care of yourself and please don't give up on yourself. You are very special.

jean bruno

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 03:24 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i need help i rele dont know how i did it but it happend somehow i have a six pack i have been working out and stuff and im a busboy so im always on the move but i dont do alot of sit ups or anything like that can someone explain to me how i got abs and how i can keep them becuz i am currently losing weight by the moment but i dont want to lose them since im a big guy .

(Unregistered Guest)

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 10:28 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a little curious. I'm about 6'0", 190 lbs. and I just really started working out. I'm not fat, but I've been looking to tone up a bit. I've been doing 40 minutes a day of 4.5 mph just running, 3 miles a day. I just wanted to know what kind of results I could expect over time, the first important point being at about 5 weeks. I've started eating healthier too, and I'm clueless on this stuff, so I just want to know what to expect as far as weight loss, and looking more toned. I sort of am thinking about abs, but overall as well. I plan on continuing on, but what about after 5 weeks? Anyone ideas? Thanks.

Shelly (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 12:41 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm on a diet and losing weight :-) However, it is leaving me unhappy with the way my breasts look. I'm losing weight there too and they are losing their firmness. Does anyone know of any exercises that are good to tone up the firmness? Any help in appreciated. I've also considered taking herbal breast ehancement pills.....if anyone has any experience with those I'd love your input on that. Thanks!!!

(Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 07:51 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been working out everyday for the past 2 weeks. I have been doing different cardio machines, like the stair master and treadmill. I build muscle really fast, especially in my legs. They seem to have gotten much bigger. I don't want them to get bigger. How can I make them smaller?

kc (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 12:37 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Im 19, 5'1" and about 120 pounds. 8 months ago i moved away from home to go to school. when i moved i dropped ten pounds fast and i dont know how. now ive gained it all back and dont like it, but i have been trying so hard to loose it again. how can i get back down to what i was after the move?

steveh1960 (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:35 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ghettomisses, someone from another message board where I've posted saw your message and asked me to come read it. I'm 42, male, and I'm 5'10" tall with a 36" waist and bounce between 185 and 192 lbs now for the past 10 months. In may of 2001 I was 335 lbs with a 54" waist, and in '94 had topped out somewhere a little over 400 with a 60 someodd inch waistline.........so I'm here to tell you, it can be done. If you succeed it will be a lifelong struggle, but it's well worthwhile. Losing the weight will improve the way others see you, I can't guarantee it will chase away any demons that may be inside......I know when I got thin in my youth it didn't become a magic cure all to my problems. As others here are telling you, don't think of the whole amount you want to get rid of, it's an imposing and seemingly impossible number. I fought by war in 5 lb battles, expecting to lose a battle here and there....and I did, and still am. I re-lose the same weight constantly, but I knock it back off before the number gets large and daunting again.

If you want to do this properly, DO NOT GO ON A DIET. Change your diet and your lifestyle. It will need to be a permanent change. Another piece of advice.....my personal viewpoint; Don't tell anyone you're trying to lose weight........that way if you fail or when you have setbacks you won't feel so foolish and overeat more out of despair.

I do not eat and have not had cake, candy, cookies, or ice cream for about 8 years. The processed sugar is a personal weakness I finally admitted I can't handle so I eliminated tham from my life completely, very few people can do this, I'm just telling you what works for me. When I began my quest to regain my body at 40 1/2 years old, I initially set out just to see if I could summon the willpower to get under 300 lbs, and when it began to work and I found willpower I hadn't been able to summon since my early 20's, I then set my goal at 250. Most cheap digital watches have a stopwatch feature, you should have one. Find a high school track, find out how many laps to the mile. Stretch well before starting, get new and comfortable running shoes, they don't have to be expensive. Start out going as fast and as far as you possibly can without hurting yourself walking at a fast pace......add a little distance each time until you can do at least 2 miles at a time, and work up to at least 4 days per week. Time yourself, see the improvement, watch your times get faster. Eat breakfast every day, I skipped lunch through most of my weight loss phase, I probably shouldn't have, but it was my way of doing it and my health didn't seem to suffer. Say goodbye to some old friends.......Wendy, Ronald McDonald, and the good old Burger King. I used to eat that crap for lunch every workday, it may be cheap, tasty, and convenient, but it's horribly fattening. Use the oven instead of the frying pan. Lean trimmed chicken cutlets and pork chops coated with olive oil and baked at 350 for half an hour are tasty and healthy. Eat fruit instead of sugar snacks,it's still high in sugar, but natural sugar is better than processed by far. Vegetables......gotta do it.........find one's you like. My personal preference is peeled baby carrots......sweet and crunchy and 200 calories in a lb. bag. DON'T DEPRIVE YOURSELF COMLETELY. ONe or two fatty delicious pig out meals per week won't destroy your weight loss, and will leave you feeling less tortured and not like being on a diet. You can never go back to old eating habits, your weight will skyrocket if you do.

This has to be done by you, FOR YOU and nobody else, and at your own pace.

SUCCESS BREEDS SUCCESS........the more you get towards your ultimate goal, the more motivated you become.......feel great when you're succeding, get mad instead of depressed when you relapse and work that much harder and you'll get back on track.

EXPECT TO GET STUCK. It's called plateauing. there will be times that no matter how well you behave and exercise the scale won't budge........sooner or later it will,it may take weeks sometimes, but keep working, it will happen.

I hope some of this immense message is of help.......good luck and don't give up, don't worry about others..........do what you need to for yourself.

LP (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 03:42 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the very inspirational messages on this message board!
I turned 50 in December, weighed in at 208lbs and decided it was finally time for a change.
I joined a newly opened ladies-only gym in our small town (pop 3000) the middle of January. Started a strength training program (weight training) with the help of a certified trainer and have dropped 16 lbs in just over 2 months. I am gaining muscle and feel great. I have incredible energy and feel good about my self!
Do the weight program 3 days a week for just over an hr (includes my 5 min warm up & ab routine) - cardio (usually treadmill) for 30 - 45 min on alternate days.
I have dropped 2 pant sizes in this time, so I can tell you that building muscle works.
I drink 8 glasses of water per day, walk the 3 flights of stairs to my office every workday morning and have substituted unhealthy snacks for fruit and popcorn.
So....anyone out there thinking about getting healthier, DO IT!

Sean (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 06:59 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm 17, 6'2 and weigh 210. I am muscular, but don't look that way because I have something of a large "belly" area. Is there a way to lose the fat that is hanging around? My diet consists of water(quite a bit), very little soda(not a fan of the taste) and some, if any juice. I try to eat balanced meals, and I have fruits and veggies everyday.

I have one other question, if you have no access to a gym, (my parents won't let me), what are some good exercises?

Krystal

Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 09:24 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey I have a question if I start working my upper body will my breasts get smaller from the weight loss

shanlee

Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 06:29 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the tae bo takes are excellent if you keep up with them for weight loss, and you don't need to go to a gym to use them.

NLTkach

Rating: 

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 12:49 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A great way to share information. I have been researching/counselling for 10+ years (wholistic nutrition primarily).
There are some solid words of advice in here, and I would like to add a very brief outline.

-Muscle weighs more than fat. Fluid weighs more than fat. Why weigh yourself if you are trying to lose fat?
The more muscle tissue you have, the more fat will be burned.
-Protein is primarily what your body uses to create muscle tissue.
-We are cavepeople living in a "Jetson" world. In other words, industrialization has allowed us to take all of the life out of foods and store it on shelves for long periods of time without it going "bad". The food we would normally be consuming would be from the ground, trees, plants. It would have good bacteria on it, the kind that fights bad bacteria, and in doing so, keeps our immune systems high quite naturally. These foods (organic fruits and vegetables) are also high in pure water, natural fibres, BALANCED carbohydrate and protein. These foods CLEANSE our cell tissue.
-Fat wraps around toxins to protect our bodies organs from damage caused by the toxins.
-Fresh organic fruits and vegies, and clean, pure water flush toxins, and therefore, fat, from our bodies.
-We are filters. Things go in, and things go out. North Americans have the most de-natured (unnatural), industrialized (packaged, preserved, pesticied,synthetic-chemical, and now genetically modified {with animal genes} diets in the WORLD).
-North Americans suffer the highest rates of diabetes, high blood-pressure, cancers, heart attack, stroke, indigestion, migraines, arthritis...in the WORLD.
-If you eat alot of packaged foods, you consume alot of carbohydrates. Your body turns carbohydrate into simple sugars. When sugar is not used, it is turned into...FAT.
-Sugar is as addictive as cocaine. This has been clinically proven.
-Tobacco is cured in sugar.
-The body needs only 3/4 of a TEASPOON of natural sugars a day for optimum health.
-1 teaspoon of white sugar (which, by the way, has ground cow bone in it--used during the processing of sugars, unable to extract it)DRASTICALLY lowers the immune system for 5 to 6 hours.
-If you take your body weight (in pounds) and divide that in half, you will have a good guideline as to how much water you should consume each day.
-45% of the fat flushed from your body is done through your urinary tract(when you "pee")
-Most people are chronically dehydrated because their bodies get used to not having enough water. This is a survival mechanism that dates back thousands of years.
-Your body stores MORE FAT if you are dehydrated. As soon as you start drinking more water, your bladder returns to its normal size, and your body also begins to release excess fat.
-The first thing your body "lets go" of when you begin to eat fresh fruit and vegies, and drink more water is FLUID that it has been holding onto. Fluid weighs 14% more than fat, so you will naturally lose more weight in the beginning.
-Water flushes waste from your body. The average American carries 7 to 21 pounds of feces in their colon AT ALL TIMES.
-Pastas and peanut butter are very hard for the bodies organs to assimilate (break down). They have a tendency of forming rubber inside your large intestine, (colon). This rubber stops specific nutrients from being absorbed through the walls of the large intestine.
-Your digestive system is the "seat" of your health.
-We change and clean filters in our environment regularly, or they become full, and stop working, but we ignore our organs--our organs, including the largest, our SKIN, go ignored for an entire lifetime is many cases. Most people don't know the first thing about how their body works, or how to clean it.
-You are what you "absorb", not what you eat. Most American digestive systems do not work efficiently enough to extract all of the nutrients from the foods we eat...if there are nutrients in the foods.
-Excercise increases circulation, allowing the body to operate at a more efficient level.
-I think I will stop here....I hope these tidbits of information help someone out there...

six

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 03:45 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, NLTkach! Great post! You've put in a lot of great information!

I saw a post earlier which said to keep things like graham crackers on hand for snacking. Another good idea (I think) is low fat Triscuts. I tend to prefer savory snacks and foods to sweet ones, those do the trick for me, and they have more fiber than fat per serving. Another higher fiber snack I like is dry Grapenuts. It has a good satisfying 'crunch', so I feel like I'm really eating, and I find that the higher fiber content makes me feel full sooner than if I were eating cake or candy, and in eating it I'm almost guaranteed to 'go' regularly, if you get my drift.

I also do not go by what I weigh, it's discouraging when the weight loss slows down, even if I've gained muscle. I generally go by how my clothes fit/how I feel. I do, however, step on the scale just to get a starting weight and a finishing weight.

Brenda Lee

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 05:56 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm looking for maximum calorie burn. I walk on the treadmill 1hr. 4mph daily. I also do a step aerobics tape 30min. every other day. Which burns the most calories????? I wouldn't mind doing the tape for 1 hr. if it means more calories burned. I also do 20 min. floor exercises for toning AND only eating healthy foods. I need to lose 25 more and these will be the hard ones so can anyone tell me which is best???

Help ME

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 04:05 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do I get rid of the dreadful cellulite in my thighs and buttocks! HELP!!!!!!

twins

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 12:01 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 17 years old at 150 pounds I cant seem to loss weight. I dont really eat out alot just because I dont like a lot of food when I eat out I eat a salad or chicken At Home I dont Eat fatting foods either I use to not eat much at all just dinner then I started eating more often to be healthier And I exercise all the time I run 2 miles a day walk 30 min and do leg lifts pushups crunches Yoga and I play soccer and softball. I need help what to eat and how much

Tylor MMcoy

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 12:16 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I am 17 at 150 pounds 5,8"I would like to loose 20 to 30 pounds. I have tried losing weight for about 2 yrs I really dont know what to do I got to the point where I was not eating but every three days and I did loss weight but I quit because I was afraid I would over do it Know I gained all that weight back And I cant seem to get rid of it I execise alot I play soccer and softball I run 2 miles everyother day and I walk 30 to 6o min a day and I don't eat fatting food just because I dont like most of it I mainly eat lots of fruit and vegatables Chicken and ham are the only meet I like So what can I do to loss weight

MISS. A.I

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 05:54 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK GUYS...IM A 16 YEAR OLD FEMALE THAT IS VERY ACTIVE.I PLAY SPORTS, AND SPEND ALOT OF TIME W/ THEM. BASICALLY IM HERE TO GIVE A LIL ADVICE.ABOUT, ID SAY A YEAR AGO MAYBE I REALLY TRULY WANTED TO LOSE WIEGHT,YOU KNOW ."SO I WOULD LOOK GOOD".WELL I STARTED RUNNING EVERY MORNING, EXCERSISING, AND EATING HEALTHY.WELL,THE RESULTS WERE JUST TAKING SOOO LONG,SO I DECIDED TO JUST EAT VERY LITTLE EVERYDAY. O BOY, WAS THAT A MISTAKE!AFTER A WHILE, YOU WILL START TO NOTICE THAT YOU ARE LOSING WIEGHT,AND YOU WILL FEEL GOOD.( A LIL WEAK, BUT ,YOU'LL LIKE THE WIEGHT LOSS) I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE. AFTER LOSING ABOUT 25-30 LBS. DOING THAT,I JUST GOT HUNGRY.I KNOW THAT SOUNDS FUNNY BUT I DID.ONE DAY I DECIDED TO EAT VERY VERY LATE AT NIGHT,AND I DID BENGE.THE NEXT MORNING I CONTINUED,BUT I WOULD TELL MYSELF "OK, THIS IS JUST FOR ONE DAY, I CAN ALWAYS BURN IT OFF" NOPE! AFTER ALL THAT TIME OF NOT EATING VERY MUCH MY BODY WAS IN NEED OF FOOD.AND WHEN BODY GOT FOOD, MAN.I WOULDNT STOP.SO BASICALLY I GAINED ABOUT 15-20 LBS BACK!!!!! IM TELLING YOU, YOU CANT STOP EATING REGULARLY, THE WIEGHT WILL ALWAYS ALWAYS COME BACK TO YOU!!!!! TRUST ME. AND DONT WORK OUT A WHOOOOLE BUNCH. YOU WILL JUST GET BURNED OUT TO WHERE YOU DONT WANNA WORK-OUT ANYMORE. NOW IM TRYING TO GET BACK ON TRACK.IVE BEEN DOING SOME WIEGHT LIFTING, AND A LIL EXCERSISE AND WIEGHT'S COMING OFF SLOWLY, BUT SURELY.RESULTS DO NOT COME IN A WEEK OR 2.THE LOSS TAKES TIME!!!! IF YOU REALLY WANT TO SUCCED YOU'LL BE PATIENT AND CONTINUE W. YOUR PLANS.EVENTUALLY YOU'LL LOOK GOOD!!! AND IF YOU EVER NEED MOTIVATION:READ THE BIBLE!

MISS A.I

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 06:22 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OOOOO, AND DONT FORGET TO REWARD YOURSELF AT THE END OF THE WEEK...W/ A SWEET OR ICE CREAM , OR OSMETHING LIKE THAT!!! :-)

anoy

Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 08:31 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey i just want to know what you can do to trim down my inner thigs, exercises that are easy and you can do at home.

batblade
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 04:20 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Secrets to "dieting." I put the word dieting in quotes because most diets are for temporary weight loss such as the high fat, hi protein, low/no carb diets. I'm NOT saying to eat ONLY carbs but CARBS ARE GOOD FOR YOU! If you deprive yourself of eating them, then after you lose that weight and start back on them, you'll gain it right back, sometimes quicker that you gained it the first time!

Many people say that it'd bad to weigh more than once a week or at the most, every few days. Well I have been weighing up to 5 times a day to help me understand why I want to lose weight and sometimes it helps me get over those cravings. If you have a craving, distract yourself or drink a glass of water. A great example is TV or a movie. Just know that when you DO weigh, you'll weigh more during the day and more at night but you'll weigh the least when you first wake up. So if it's after dinner, don't panic that you've "gained" 3 pounds that day.

Now for the biggie! This took me forever to realize but:

You don't have to be full! Amazing isn't it? It's like "Duh!" The first time your stomach growls it's OKAY! You don't have to go shove food in your mouth. Yes it feels weird but grab a glass of water or some sugar free lemonade and wait an hour. Most of the time the craving for food just disappears!

(In July I was 202lbs. Through everything I've said above I am now 179lbs. That's less than I weighed when I started Martial Arts! I'm so excited that after I lose a few more pounds I'm going to reward myself with a beautiful and slim evening dress!)

One more thing...try cutting certain foods out of your diet. Atleast in excess. For instance, when I sit down to a meal I no longer add salt to my food. Salt retains water in your system! I've also cut cheese out of my diet. If I want pizza I put turkey pepperoni on it (for protein) and my favorite veggies!

sunnyfll
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 10:51 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just want to give some encouragement for those of you who think you will never lose weight. My 21 year old son has struggled for years with his weight. He was actually close to 500 pounds at one point. He decided to put his mind to really trying and also having a friend who also wanted to lose weight, I am proud to say he is now 295 6'3. He walks a lot and watches his fat intake. Chicken, soups, low fat lunch meats,baked chips instead of regular, etc. We are a junk food eating family and I believe the key is really wanting it for yourself, not for someone. When you really crave something have it then get right back to it. Walking is one of the easiest exercises and helped him tremendously. I wish you all the best.

Chad
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 08:37 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what u have to know for one is that sometimes u ownt lose weight technically but u will lose fat....u can lose fat and be the same weight...sometimes when u work out ur body replaces fat with muscle and u dont see much change in weight but the change is for the better...just drink much water and exercise regularly...and most importantly ....dont give up

Pete
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 5 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 05:32 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi im a fitness trainer and thought that i would come on this site and help as many people as i can by giving out some good tips.
1. like it says above never starve yourself because your body will reserve fat.
2. When you get a craving but you know that you shouldnt eat right now think why you are doing this and treat it as if you are doing it for a close member of your family for example that will always keep you determined.
3. Exercise get at least 20 minutes exercise a day try to get around 40 if you can though.
4. The best exercises for losing weight are running swimming some sort of martial arts or boxing and cycling. Dont do muscle training when trying to loose weight because it will just build muscle which weighs more than fat. If you want to be muscular than consentrate on that after you have lost the weight.
5. Drink a lot of water but dont drink it when it isnt needed.
6. For breakfast cereal or yogurts are the best things to eat.
7. For lunch things like salads are good.
8. For your evening meal have your usual meals just less than what you would normally have.
9. If you do have to snack have something like a packet of nuts that can last you all day.
10.No Alcohol.
11.No chocolate or sweets at all.
12.Always stay focused and determined.

If anyone would like further tips on dieting post a message on this board and i will reply within a week.

turning the corner
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 10:18 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have made new years resolutions every year for the past ten years to get in shape and its never worked. I was drinking a 12 pack a night and eating a horrible diet. I am 5'10 and currently weigh 195 pounds. I have a wife and kid and finally decided to quit the drinking and change my life. Since Jan 1, I have run every other day and worked out in the gym every other day with my day off I go surfing. I got on the Body for Life routine and while I'm not perfect at the nutrition part, I'm about 90% there and it's not that hard once you get used to it. I've found that eating the six meals a day (with protein powder) is actually pretty easy.

While the first 2 and a half weeks were tough, I am really starting to feel good again. I look forward to waking up early and doing the workout. I have tried not to even think about specific body parts and just be patient to see what happens after 3 months. Any exercise is better than nothing and it all starts with a single step.

I am an alcoholic and this type of routine is the only thing that has enabled me to quit drinking and do something positive with my life. Family and health are more important than anything.

An unsolicited word of advice from someone who has broken a thousand promises to himself: It doesn't matter what has happened in the past, how bad you feel today or how hard you think it's going to be to fulfill your committments to yourself. Just get up everyday and following through no matter how crappy your workout or how low energy you feel. Eventually (in a matter of weeks) it will give you more confidence and feel better than any bad habit every did.

I still want to drink everyday, but knowing that I have to get up early in the morning keeps me from doing it. I wish you all the best of luck.

Please also remember, we are all in this together. Everyone started out in bad shape at one point so please encourage and not criticize anyone.

mike291
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 03:05 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

has anyone tried matt fureys workouts?they are the best.

nursing student
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 04:47 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a student going into nursing school and I work in the ER. My problem is that I have gained 25-30 pounds and I am tired of not fitting into my close. School is very stressful and so is work. School should be my only focus, but my weight is consuming my every thought. I just got the Pilates tapes and I plan to make that my workout, but I was wondering if they are very effective. I have to do something, but with my busy schedule, the thought of trying to find time to workout is increasing my stress. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them.

melody donnallie
Username: melodypye

Post Number: 1

Rating: 

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:20 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Pete, Hi Id love some advice please, ive been dieting for just over a month and do aerobic exersice everyday atleast 50mins some times ill do two lots of training if i can fit it in,Also 2\3 times a week i do a 4\6mile cross country walk.Im cal counting, i have around 1000 a day, ive lost 4" so far off (chest, waist &hips)need to lose 1"more off chest and 4"off waist n hips.
Even tho i can already tell im much fitter, i was wondering when i would really notice the diffrence.Oh, my RHR was 78 when i started its now 48\50, also i quit smoking at the second week of my diet, been quit 3 weeks now.
Please give me any help \tips to fittness, cheers, melodypye

Maggie Locsworth
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 06:41 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any excersizes that will reduce your breast size?

Maggie Locsworth
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 06:40 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 17 and I'm 5'9", weigh 160lbs. I play sports all year round. But whatever I do I cannot seem to lose weight. What can I do?

Ty Freemont
Username: nononsense

Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 12:19 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maggie,

160 pounds is not fat for a 5' 9" athletic girl first off. The most you would lose is 10-15 pounds. That's an easily achievable goal. Remember, muscle is heavier than fat. There are many different avenues of approach but I don't know what else you have tried. How is your diet? How many calories a day do you eat? Do you eat a lot of sugar? Carbs? Fat? Proteins?

Let me know. I was once in a much worse situation than you. You can lose the weight.

Anonymous
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 09:38 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I am 15 years old, 5'9", a girl, and 144 pounds. I eat around 1500 calories a day, weight train 2-times a week during basketball season, and 3-times a week in the off season. I run a lot in the off season (i play basketball), and I do a lot of sit-ups and crunchs and exercises for my obliques. My legs are very muscular, but I would really like to get a nice flat muscular stomach, and definition on my arms. I have been doing ten stomach exersizes every day, but I never see results, can someone help me, I just want to loose around 5-10 pounds, and build a nice stomach. How long you think it'll take?

Ty Freemont

Post Number: 3

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 12:50 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also Maggie, I assume from your previous post that you have large breasts? That will add a significant amount of weight. My mother had breast reduction surgery years ago and they took a total of 6 lbs of breast tissue off! Look at who you are and how you are built before deciding how much weight you want/need to lose. Bench Presses will firm breasts up and reduce their size, but again, muscle is heavier than fat so they won't weigh less necessarily.

Ty Freemont

Post Number: 4

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 12:58 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous Ab Wanter,

You're obviously athletic so "fat" and extra weight arenn't the issue here. I have a really good exercise for you to try to get that six pack. It's hard, but you will only have to do this one exercise along with anything you do for your obliques:

lay on a mat or a carpeted floor (to protect your back) and cross your hands over your chest as you would with a normal crunch. Put your legs up, bent at the knee, and bring your elbows to your knees and stop when they meet. Now you need to do two things at once. Create resistance from both ends, your knees and your elbows, and push them against one another for 15-20 seconds as hard as you can. make sure you breathe. You should feel your elbows sinking into your lower thigh as you do this (it won't hurt). Do this 5 times a day for a few weeks at least and you should start to see at least a couple of beers popping through your mid-section.

It's a very intense form of the crunch but it works.

Good luck!

Ty Freemont

Post Number: 5

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 01:47 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I'm new to this board, and I am in the same situation as many of you. To a much lesser degree now than before though. I thought I would mention how I was finally, after 3 years, able to lose weight and adopt a healthier lifestyle. I have read many of the posts here and much of the advice. Some of the advice shocked me, especially since it came from "fitness trainers". I don't doubt their good intentions, but I simply disagree with some of their advice.

I'll start by saying I once weighed 243 lbs. I am 5 "11, 30 years old. I'm a fairly muscular guy so I've always been about 15 lbs heavier than my counterparts. I tried for 3 years to lose weight. My ideal weight is listed as about 175 but I will be happy with 180 or less. I tried everything you can imagine to lose weight. Too many to name here. Results were inconsistent if any. I'm going to list the rules I finally adopted that have caused me to look good and lose weight. Notice I said "Look Good" first.

Rule 1: DO IT FOR YOU AND YOU ALONE
I've read advice in here to pretend you are doing this for a loved one, etc. That most likely will not work unless you are the kind of person who lives to please everyone but yourself. You need to do this for yourself or not do it at all. Trust me on this.

Rule 2: GIVE NATURAL HERBS A CHANCE
Lots of bad press out there for certain herbal extracts like ephedrine right? Ephedrine is an extract of the Ma Huang plant in Asia. It's been used by the Chinese for over 5000 years to increase energy, boost metabolism, treat asthma, and as a decongestant. You've heard stories of people having side effects and even dying as a result of taking this. The truth is, there is no evidence that directly links ephedrine to illness any more than apsirin. You should never take more than the recommended dosage - it gains you nothing. But if taken properly this supplement works and it works very well in several different ways. More on this later. A safe level is 8% of the extract so read the label. Only buy from a trusted manufacturer as you will have a better chance of getting high quality ingredients.

Rule 3: COUNT CALORIES
It took me 2 1/2 years to realize a good friend of mine was right when she said "It all boils down to calories in calories out". She had lost 105 lbs counting calories. It's that simple. No fancy formulas are needed. Just eat healthy foods with a good balance of protein, carbs(that's right, carbs), and fat(yes I said fat). Carbs and fat have been given a bad rap unjustly by so many people it disgusts me. You need these.

Rule 4: DON'T EAT UNTIL YOU ARE FULL, EAT UNTIL YOU ARE NO LONGER HUNGRY.
There's a big difference. My dad use to say this to me even when I was 5. Eat 1/2 of what you put on your plate SLOWLY then wait 10 minutes. I bet you won't be hungry anymore. This will also teach you how much it takes to satisfy your hunger.

Rule 5: EXERCISE
Did you really think I wouldn't list this? I read some advice from a "fitness trainer" that didn't even mention walking as one of the best exercises to lose weight. I couldn't believe my big, bloodshot eyes. Walking is generally THE BEST way to burn fat and it's not going to blow your joints in 10-15 years. Any exercise is good exercise but you simply don't need to run or do kickboxing to burn fat. Here's the gist of it. High-impact aerobic exercise builds more muscle, burns about the same number of calories immediately, and burns less fat immediately. Low-impact aerobic exercise burns more fat immediately. They are both good, but walking is easier on your body and easier to stick with because it's less grueling. I walk 3 miles a day briskly on hilly terrain. I also read "Don't lift weights" to lose weight. This is silly. You should definitely lift weights (low weight 10-15 reps) when trying to burn fat and lose weight. This is why I mentioned "Look Good" as the fundamental goal. Yes, muscle is heavier than fat. So what??? Your goal is to be appealing to the eye and healthy (your eyes as well as others) right? If you lift weights and do some low-impact aerobic exercise you will be better off than if you do only one or the other. Working with weights builds dense muscle mass and converts weak muscle to strong muscle. It also builds NEW muscle. If a person with well-toned muscles sits in a chair next to a person with weak muscle and/or a lot of fat for an hour let's say, the well-toned person will burn significantly more calories than the other by just sitting still. So imagine the benefits over a 24 hour period and so forth. I would much rather look at a woman with well-toned muscle than one that is skinny and has no fat, but also has no muscle.

Rule 6: REWARD YOURSELF
Eat a sweet now and then. It won't kill you, it will help you keep your sanity. If you think you can lose all that weight by cutting all sweets out of your diet you are wrong. You'll quit.

I created a spreadsheet in MS Excel where I enter my calories for each meal and it's automatically compared to my daily allowance of calories (which I and I ALONE determined). Depending on how close I come to my daily allowance I receive a numeric "grade". There is also a running grade average in the adjacent column and a "current weight" column. This is an excellent way of getting the big picture of how well you are doing as well as giving yourself a goal to reach (a higher average). It doesn't scorn you for one mistake now and then which is also important. I'm only human.

I have lost 16 lbs in 4 weeks and have 44 more to go. I will get there. There's no doubt about it now. I take Dexatrim Natural (no ephedrine) and it has worked wonders for me. Mainly because it suppresses my appetite very well. It's all natural and I have had 0 side effects. I took the Dexatrim with ephedrine the first week then ran out and this stuff seems to work just as well. But I am NOT afraid of ephedrine and neither should you be unless you have some special medical condition or sensitivity to it.

I allow myself 1700 calories per day minimum - 1900 maximum, walk 3 miles per day, and lift weights for about 30 min 5 days a week. These principles work and they work well. Try it. When all else failed for me, this worked.

If you have any questions about how I did/am doing this feel free to post here and I will check back.

jessica charmed
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 05:15 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
I have heard from a friend that if you work out for 30 minutes after your work- out your metabolism should work off any food you eat for a 30 minute period is this true?? or just a myth?

Luba
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 03:54 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ty,

I agree with a lot of your points but few. I think lifting heavier weights has more benefits as it burns more calories and builds more muscle, the more muscle mass you have the more fat it will burn. Also, walking is great but I would add more intense aerobic exercise to improve heart function and build the muscles you are so afraid of. What counts is not how much you weigh on the scale but how much fat you have. You can look thin and still have unhealthy amount of fat. I am a woman and I am not afraid to lift heavy weights and I am loosing fat while eating about 2000 calories a day
of helthy food including lots of healthy oils.
I do a lot of very intense aerobics ( elliptical trainer and treadmill on 12-15 incline and I look and feel half my age. Don't be so afraid of intensity and heavy weight, they will prolong your life and will make you loose fat faster.
I lost 30 pounds this way since august, loosing 4 pound a week is unhealthy and a lot of it is water loss in the first weeks, not fat. To loose 4 pounds of fat a week you would have to burn 14000 extra calories a week (2000 a day )and it doesn't sound like you are doing that.
Good luck.

Ally
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 02:41 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

jessica charmed, no that's a complete rumor. Think about it...if you stuffed as many big macs in your mouth as you could for 30 minutes, do you think you could work it all off with a 30 minute jog? No. It's about what you eat, not how long it takes to eat it.

seth
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:14 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for good ab excercises to enhance your tone.Can anyone help me and give me explanations on how to do theses excercises?

dawn howes
Username: dawnhowes

Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 06:32 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

inner/outter thighs help..

They are growing...too big.. what can I do cardio and weight wise to get them smaller and toned?
I do 30 - 45 mins of cardio but not sure what cardio is best and what weight program i should do. Please Help me

Roxy
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:18 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! This message is for Pete the fitness trainer. I just wanted to know what kind of exersizes should I do to make my upper arms, thighs and tummy smaller? I have an indoor bike at home and ususally ride for 30 minutes non stop. I also watch what I eat too. I'm 5'5 and weight 143 lbs. I also wanted to know if bananas are ok to eat while trying to lose weight. If you rcould help me out, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Kellie Jones
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 07:03 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you like or love tomatoes and you are like me, then eat tomatoes i did some research and you could eat as many cherry tomatos that you want and never gain any wait tomatos have essential vitamins and them and are healthy so if you are hungry then just eat tomatos!!
also try running every day even for 15-30 minutes...its great it makes you feel great. or if you like to swim tread water and do freestyle swim..it gives you a great arm and leg workout.

Alexis Kasczmrk
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:35 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok im 16 and about 5'2 and about 120-125lbs. I dont think im fat. I play tennis and softball so i have thunder thighs. I want to get rid of some of the muscle and i also have fat on the inside, ya kno, where u stand and the inside of your thighs touch? yeah, i dont like that and i really want to get rid of it. I do 30 minutes of running 3 days a week, and crunches, jump rope, and pushups 5 days a week. I was hoping i could get fast results with some excersises, so can u please give me some quick excersises and some long-term affect excersices? thanks a bunch!

Nicole Wilkosz
Username: hypernikki

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:49 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Im 5'2 and about 120-125lbs. I dont think im over weight but losing weight couldn't hurt. I play softball and tennis which casues me to have "thunder thighs" also, when i stand, the inner part of my thighs touch. I have a big problem with this. I run for 20 minutes 3 times a week along with, crunches, jump rope, leg lifts, arm curls, and pushups 5 times a week. I would like to lost this the fat in my thighs and keep it off. If someone could help me with some fast-result excersices and some long-term result excersices, i would be happy. Thanks a lot!

colie Q
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 04:16 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dr.Anonymous
you said.. If you are a female of 5'9" and a C cup, there is little chance you are going to weigh 115 lbs and be healthy....... wut would my healthy weight be if iam 13 1/2 , 5'4", and a small B cup???? please responde

carmen
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 03:20 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

people have any of you tried tae boe? ab/butt workout? anyway i do the butt one day and abs the next five times a week and it works so great except now my butt is a little too bubbly lol and im 90lbs and 5'0 it helps lose weight and gain muscle and it relieves stress. so try it its fun but drink lots of water

Ashlee
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 10:41 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Ya'll. I'm 21, Thin and loving it. I never used to be this way though. I used to be overweight. you see, I'm quite small(only 5'3'). I used to be 200 pounds with a waist size of 12... now guess what I am?...115 pounds with a waist size of 2! :-) Big change eh?..would you like to know my three simple secrets?.. Mind, Body and Soul. You need to train your mind before you train your body. You must tell your self what you want to do to loose weight before you go out and do it. You might think it's stupid, but trust me.. it works! Look in the mirror and tell yourself your beautiful, tell yourself your going to change, tell yourself how you want to change and the effort your going to put forth in order to achieve your change. Set goals and have support people to help you when your craving that "milkshake" or "Mc.Donalds hamburger",etc. Keep a record of your accomplishments. The person who taught me all of this was " Anothony Robbins"..He was my encouragement, maybe he'll be yours. I suggest buying his tapes and listening to them. What's the worst that could happen? -you sending them back. So take the challenge, lose weight- and have a blast doing it!!!! =) Good Luck, my fellow comrades

anonymous
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 04:51 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I am 5'7 and I weigh 145, but I am full of muscle from doing gymnastics for the past 15 years and still today. Do you think I need to lose any weight? I feel I look skinny, but I hate reading the scale! Also, how many calories should I consume a day? These questions may be a little hard to answer, but I would like some advice. I also would like some exercises to work my lower abs and the so called "back fat" everyone tends to have. Any suggestions?

kris
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 11:16 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am really desperate to loose at least 30lbs after i had my second baby i just keep getting bigger and bigger my breast is bigger than i actually want i don't want big boobs please help me loose this weight.

Abbie Forsberg
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 02:17 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey guys, im a MAJOR health person. I love to excersise and eat healthy. YOU HAVE TO EAT HEALTHY or your not gunna get anywhere. SO heres my advice: Once you cut down on your sweets(chocolate, lil debbies, cokes, koolaides), your NOT GUNNA WANT them anymore. I hate to say it, but it totally sicks me out to watch someone eat junk food. Why would someone do that to themselves?? I CANT drink cokes anymore, they taste horrible to me. its kinda like training your body. DRINK LOADS OF WATER. this will make a super difference. i cants imagine what my life would be like without water. If you dont like it plain, put a lemon or lime or a strawberry in in. WARNING: stay away from carbonated water!!! But, for a treat, if you did good that day, have a propel fitness water or sumthin like that. But dont have them all the time-they are FULL of calories juss for water! ONce you get in the groove of excersising, you will feel SO groggy when you dont excersise. i run EVERYDAY, or i just feel SO lazy and ugh!!! i advise running and ab workouts. EVERYONE NEEDS 6-PACK!! its a MAJOR ego boost. but DONT just do those two! ALso, get outside, do some activities..get involved. If your young enough, get on a competivie cheer squad! their super fun and a major work out. We have practices for 3 hours, 4 days a week. If cheering isnt your thing, try dance(hip-hop would be cool)....DONT BE LAZY! Also, dont be so focused on how much you weigh...focus on muscle tone and getting fit, dont let it all be about wight. MUSCLE LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER(screaming 6-pack)! Honestly, ive been through ALOT...but i pulled out on TOP! I have so much respect for myself now, and honestly, i dont really have any self-esteem issues. And i think all girls should be like that! SO DONT think that your not perfect the way you are....dont change for anyone but YOURSELF, be independent...please dont depend on guys to make you happy. I get a kick out of standing up for myself when guys say im hot or they grab me, or when im walkin around sumwhere and a guy wistles----DONT take that from them.! BE PROUD OF WHO YOU ARE...walk around with an attitude like your the best. you have no idea how good you'll feel about yourself. Dont let anyone help you off your throne!!! i hope i didtn some across as snobby, i was just tryin to boost your spirits about bein yourself!! BE HAPPY---- *~Abbie~*

Lucy
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 07:22 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I wanted to lose about 5-10 lbs and I've been trying to for a couple months now and I haven't noticed much of a difference. I started doing something one of my friends who is a fitness maniac told me which was to count grams of fat and have 20 or less per day. Also, I exercise everyday at home and go for hour long walks a couple times a week. I'm wondering if the things I'm eating is the reason I'm not losing weight. I usually eat the same things because I don't have a large variety of things to eat. Mostly I eat pasta, soup, cereal, frozen pizza (sometimes), fruits & vegetables. I haven't eaten fast food or junk food in a couple months which was a big change. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and any advice would help a lot, thanks!

Teresa
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 02:41 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 27 and I would love to lose 25lbs, I am 5'6", so I think I would look better. Also, I am getting married in Sept, 2004, so I really need help because I want to look good on my wedding day. I own a treadmill and a membership, but I can not make myself use them. I have also became a sweet eater. I need help!!!

m girl
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:47 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok nobody has answered the question about thighs yet! how can i trim down my thighs? i cant go to a gym but am Extremely willing to do any and all excersizes routinally at home. I just dont know which ones to do. Does anyone know some good ones?

urooj zafar
Username: uroojzafar

Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 02:46 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey
i m 26 ..5.5 and 129 lb ...i have to loose around 10 lb weight...wat should i do??

erin
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 12:38 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to be very active when I was younger, but I still ate a lot. I still do, so I gained a lot of weight. I'm 20 5'6 200pds. I've found the trick to weight loss everybody. I just started and so far I've lost about 10 pounds in 2weeks. IN the morning I eat Special K with a banana. (Bananas should only be eaten in the morning cause your body will have all day to burn it, and It won't be able to late in the day). At lunch I have a big big salad. I get very full. Dressing only has 2carbs a teaspoon so it's okay to use. Your body needs some fat anyway. At night I don't eat past 7:00p.m. This is a must! Okay here's the magic... At first I couldn't run.. so I walked as much as I could..now I do about a mile everyday..some of it walking and some jogging. It's up to you how much you can stand. Do not starve yourself. If you get hungry inbetween eat a fruit.And yes sorry.. NO MORE JUNKFOOD! For dinner have something nutricious, but good. Like chicken, steak.. Check on what you have as sides though, make sure it does not have too many carbs. Our body needs some ,but don't do excess of anything. Later when you have lost weight do some weights and situps for your abs, this way your flabby skin will go back. If you do lots of weight though, you will get buff,do small amounts with many repetitions.. I promise it works.

MichelleB
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 02:27 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a GREAT tip I read once in a magazine for motivating yourself to get to the gym. I have been in that state where you are just so tired and DONT feel like going to the gym and can think of a MILLION other things you'd rather be doing, well ever since I started using this tip, it's worked like a CHARM!!!
For those days you don't want to go, make a deal with yourself. Promise to go and walk on the treadmill (or whatever cardio or workout regime you do) for just 5 mintues. If after those 5 minutes, you STILL don't want to be there then allow yourself to leave.

This has worked everytime. Becuase I know that if I go through all the trouble of getting dressed, driving over and doing 5 minutes of work out and I still don't want to be there, than I really shouldn't be...but everytime, by the time I get there its too much of a hassle to go all the way back home without having worked out, so I'll end up working out.

WORKS GREAT! Good Luck.

AshleeSimpsonFan
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 02:13 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All I have to say is when you want to lose weight, DO NOT starve yourself or cut meals out! What happens is you body, once it relises you are starving yourself, stores your food and actually make syou gain weight. It also causes you to beinge(eat consesive amounts) when you do eat. Cut down not out as many of you already said! Do a phisical activity from 15-20 min a day when your fealing board. A good idea is to work on seperate things per day. For instance: one day go running and work on cardio. , another day work on you abs(crunchies are a girls best friends, haha),anotherday work on you upper body strength(crunchies are and push-ups are perfect!)...and so on. (here comes the true, but corney stuff, haha) So don't forget to tell your self over and over again that you are who you are and you are a beautiful person!

Good luck!

Steven Travaglione
Username: skeeeve

Post Number: 8

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 03:34 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

most important things for weight loss:

1)water- and lots of it- try for 3/5 ounce for every pound of bodyweight you have. (that means a 180-pound person should have about 108 ounces of water a day, 84 ounces for a 140 pounder, etc...)

2) fiber- fiber is usually so overlooked by people- its the 2nd most important aspect of weight loss and more importantly fat loss

3) cut out UNHELATHY carbs- notice i said unhealthy- that means anything with the word "white" in front of it. WHITE sugar, WHITE flour, etc. the only time you should be having sugar is the fructose is fruits- which in the presence of all the wonderful fiber in fruits is not so bad.

4) cut out UNHEALTHY fats- that means any fat that comes from an animal (beef fat, chicken fat, milk fat). Instead have moderate amounts of healthy unasturated (or liquid) fats like olive oil, canola oil or flaxeed oil. Olive oil has a wonderful affect where it literally BREAKS UP cholesterol in the veins and arteries- these healthy fats also help boost metabolism if eaten in small quantities, believe it or not.

5)Get in about 40 minutes of tough cardio a day, and strength training every other day. DONT SKIMP ON THE STRENTH TRAINING!!! :-)

6) do NOT eat at ALL 4 hours before you go to bed. Sleep is a crucial time when ones body must focus on repairing itself and revitalizing itself, it shouldnt be focusing on some late night calories you snuck in.

Well, thats it. The magical 6 steps to steady, healthful fat loss.

Anonymous Female
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi... I realized that I gained alot of weight in my chest area. I went up 2 cups sizes and Im told if I exercise enough I can lose the weight I gained in my chest area. The problem is I dont know exactly what exercises to do to lose the chest weight. Any tips?!

Luis
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 02:52 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey people:

I'm 19 years old and I weigh about 310 lbs. I'm 5'11 and although I sound like I'm really out of shape, it isn't that bad. I do professional wrestling 4-5 days a week. I can run fast and move around pretty well. I'm having trouble gaining muscle though. I have pretty broad shoulders and strong arms. Any tips for gaining muscle and losing SOME fat?? Thanx.

Lauren
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 12:00 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know many of the same questions have been asked over and over again. I will try to change that up a bit. I am trying to make a lifestyle change and have changed eating habbits, worked on changing mindset and gotten into a cardio routine at the gym. I have been doing 45-60 mintues of elliptical training (because I have bad joints, low impact training is important for me) about 4-5 days a week and walking 2 miles during the day with a walking club at work. Is this TOO much hard elliptical cardio?? I want to start a strength training program, but am not sure what this should include. My lower body is what I need to work on the most (thighs and hip area). Thank you in advance for a response.

Paul 20000
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 11:05 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there is no easy way going about exercise. wether it be getting fit or losing weight it will be hard.
to lose fat you should exercise at med/low intensity for about 1hr at at time as for the first 20mins you will be burning only carbs off, not the fat stored in your body.

Hope this helps somebody!

Joshua
Username: evolution

Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 05:30 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steven,
Actually cottage cheese is a wonderful thing to eat about 30-60 minutes before bed.

If you guys want to lose fat with cardio, then skip the 30 minutes of steady state cardio. What you guys need is sprints or interval running. Interval running would be like running as fast as you can for 15-30 second and then double that time with a light jog and continue this for 15-20 minutes no more than 4 times a week. The other thing that needs to happen is strength training 2-3 times a week. This doesn't mean machines, it means free weights.

HeyHeyMyMy
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 01:04 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a 25 y/o, female, former high school/college athlete (vball, basketball, fast pitch softball, soccer, swim/rowing teams) that was distracted w/her career & depression, who ended up going from muscular to obese.

My Stats:
- 5'8" w/broad shoulders
- Carries weight pre-dominantly in belly/inner thighs, bulks up easily
- Was 242# January 1st...As of March 1st, now 219#

My Routines:
((** denotes drinking water throughout this period))

5 am -- Pre-Workout Drink
(8-12 oz. caff-free green tea or strawberry smoothie)

5:30 am 'til 6:30 am -- An hour of HIIT cardio**
(5 stretching, 10 elliptical trainer, 30 treadmill on incline, 15 reclined bike)
...I shower at the gym, get to work by 7 o'clock, and perform an hour of my morning rounds.
8 am -- Breakfast
(8 oz lite cranberry or OJ, 3 egg white omlette w/peppers & onions OR oatmeal)
...Continue working**

10 am -- Mid-Morning Snack
(whole wheat organic bagel w/canned tuna + light mayo)
...Continue working**

12:30 p.m. -- Lunch
(sugar-free iced tea, 1% cottage cheese over lettuce, an orange)
...Continue working**

3:30 p.m. -- Mid-Afternoon Snack
(handful of almonds OR an apple w/2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter)
...Finish out my work day**

6 pm -- Supper
(8 oz soy milk, skinless chicken breast, steak, or salmon w/steamed veggies)

...5-6 nights a week, I spend an hour back at the gym doing strength training, calisthenics, and abdominal exercises. Since I increase the amount of weight I lift every other week, I usually have a can of tuna post-workout the first 2-3 days of the new weight, which helps w/rebuilding.

EXTRAS:
- I burn CDs specifically for my gym time; If I buy a new album (which I do often!), I can ONLY open/listen to it for the 1st time @ the gym.

- I take a multivitamin every night.

- I enjoy a glass of red wine while prepping food for supper.

- I wash my face every night, slather on the moisturizer, and do deep breathing techniques on my bedroom floor before getting into bed at 10:30 p.m.

- I use a tanning bed for 7 minutes once a week to absorb sunlight that I'd otherwise never be exposed to since I'm in a medical profession setting close to 10 hours a day. Helps w/the ol' depression stuff.

- I don't do starvation, pills, powders, t.v. dinners, personal trainers, workout buddies, guilt trips, excuses, or complaining.

- I wear SPF30 sunscreen, wear my seat belt, don't speed, am kind to strangers/children/animals, and all sorts of other things that generally lower the stress levels in my life.

That's it! :-) If anyone has questions they want to ask in private or, for whatever reason, wants to get ahold of me, please post a note here w/your address. I get enough spam as it is.

JessicaM
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 03:58 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is to Abbie Frosberg.....I was just wondering why carbonated water is bad for you? It doesn't have any calories or sugar or anything in it. I was just wondering why it is bad.

yinka
Username: yinkus

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 11:01 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how do i reduce fats on the legs .i av fat legs would love slim ones

nataisha yanire
Username: gorgeous

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 02:27 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

everybody must have a problem with their weight, but 1st u must learn how to acept yourself like u are rather thrn what u want to be. u kould always lose weight if u r determined to. ok enough of the preaching.i weight 133pds,and im 5'5'tall,big buttox,im not flat chested, with a very nice body.that i'm very conformed about.its all due to exercise and determination. im very happy and feeling so sexy about my weight. but i seem to look at myself in the mirror as fatter by the day.its u who look at urself like that becuz ur use to seeing urself.dnt get depressed and keep ur heads up.cuz i did it.

Tonya
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 02:58 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Im 17 year old senior my prom is coming up im 5'7-5'8 and wiegh 245 lbs. i dont look like i weigh that much im pretty proportioned i have big legs and hips, and butt i would like to loose sum weight b4 prom and for summer i joined e-diets but its hard bcuz i cant go shopping 4 my self my mom does and she has to buy food 4 every1 and she buys alot of junk food for my lil brother and nephew im not trying to get really skinny just enuff to feel good about my self and i dont want any health problems i would like to be btween 160-180 and i would be happy that weight still sounds high 2 most but on my body i look really good at that weight cuz im thick. i need sum advice for the work out i should do 2 get rid of love handels and flatten my stomach.

Missmissy
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 03:07 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey everyone i have a question to anyone that can help me, how can i get rid of that horrible cellulite behing my legs and butt? are there any excersise i can do at home to get rid of it? please, any advice will help

nataisha yanire
Username: gorgeous

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 07:26 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Tonya
i have some tips u should do atleast some exercise. if u go to school then u should try walking home even though it sucks. try to stay out of the house the most u can. go to the park do a mile run. it's also good to do arobic, it calms ur body. try not to eat alot of junk food. and if u don't have time to exercise try walking to places that are not very far. try not to use the car to go around the corner. u should only around three times a day. make sure u do eat ur breakfast,which is the most important meal of the day. try to avoyed eating big meals, but just eat a portion. u should avoid eatingh during night time.so dont starve yourself. eating 3 to 4 times a day is very good 4 u. i lost alot of weight during a 3 month period.going 4rm 185 to 133pds. which im very pround of myself. just put ur mind to it and i know u can accomplish it.

James Cochrane
Username: mogie01

Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 01:19 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone heard of commando fitness. I came across when I was looking for a training program to follow. I want to know whether its as good as he says before I buy it.

Michelle Olenik
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 11:39 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Strange question! When i run on the eliptical machine at the gym i usually do it for about a half hour. When i am done my urine smells like amonia. Does anyone know why this is? It really makes me nervous that there is something wrong.

cintia
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 09:23 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I was hoping I could get some advice on my work outs. I'm 32 years old, 5'8" tall and 120 pounds. I work out regularly, but I don't feel like I'm getting as good a work out as I need to get the definition I want. I've tried Hydroxycut and other big name supplements. I don't like the side effects(the shakes, nausea, and my heart feels like its going to jump out of my chest). I only have good solid work out when I carb load before hand. I know I need carbs, I just don't want to have to load up everyday. Any suggestions?

Ladyb
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 02:18 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does anyone have an idea of how long it will take a 5'2 200 lbs woment to lose 50lbs with modified diet and excersize

Laura Langham
Username: laura205

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 07:40 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How often should you exercise to lose weight?

MeanLarry
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 09:21 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, can anyone help me - I have just started going to the gym but I'm not sure how often to go. Would it be more beneficial to go two day on, one day off OR 5 days per week and have the weekend off? I could also try going every week day and once at teh weekend?

JulieMarie
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 11:29 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

alright... does anyone know if it's possible to lose weight in areas where there are stretch marks? it seems as though if you start losing the fat... the skin from that part will just hang there. If anyone knows, please help me

Danni
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 06:25 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am 24, I have 2 children under 2, although I have lost most of my baby weight I need to tone up the sides (waist and hips) my stomach is flat so sit up dont help can any one recomend excersises I can do at home, as with two babies I can't get to the gym.

me myself and i
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 07:33 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey everyone seems you all know exactly what to do so.... i'm 17 yrs old about 5'2" and i weigh about 120 or so. heres my problem i have what people like to refer to as "chicken legs" i mean dont get me wrong i love'em and my top half is great too i think i'm pretty cute in the face, and my bra size is a 32 B i'm quite alright with that also. but my mid section is just about completly out of control i have love handels like no other thats where my 120 lbs are!(seems like that any way) i just broke up with my boy friend (i'm so already over that) but my point is i want to look good for me and for the fellas. personally i would love a tone stomach whats the best way to lose my inner tube? i have great tone in my legs and arms due to running, and playing with my 4yr and 2yr old nefuse. i just recently like last week have been watching what i eat too like i cut out all of my junk food habits. i dont drink soda strictly water and apple juice, now just water and i eat only health foods/meals 4x a day, i exersize in my free time but ab work-outs have just givin me a 2 pack under my chest... so heres the real questions with out the rest of my life story :D how can i get rid of my love-handels, tone up my body and finaly get rid of this rather stuborn baby fat?? also how long do you think it may take? PLEASE help me out here!

nothing is working and i'm willing to do any as long as it doesnt requier any sort of transportation........ or starving my self!

Kirsten
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 06:15 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I think what you need to do to get a nice flat muscular stomach is to change the way you get your exersise. If you have been doing crunches and see no results you might want to try something new for exersise like aerobics. Ive been doing aerobics twice a week for about 2 and 1/2 months and i saw results but slowly. I have more toned arms and a more toned stomach. Just try something different maybe it will work for you. And make sure when you lift weights target the many areas of your arm dont concentrate in one area. hope this helped you a little it works for me.

Kristen
Username: kristenallyce

Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 02:21 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Yall Im new at this! but I just started takin Farenheit for Women a diet pill to increase your metabolism, and about to start the low-carb diet. I'm 5'5 and 132 lbs. I have a 15 month old so Im trying to lose my baby fat, especially in my stomach! Any tips?? I know i need to exercise and plan to. But can someone please tell me how I need to go about all this?!

S. Hunt
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 01:20 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just for everyone who has questions and needs advice about how to lsoe weight safely, the first step starts with drinking water. If you want to lose like a pound a week without exercising or changing your diet, take the amount of pounds you weigh, divide it in half, and thats how much water in ounces to drink. I did it, and have been steadily losing 1-2 lbs per week for the last two months! It is an easy way to get off the pounds, without actually changing any other habits in your life. I don't know how long it works, but its a good first step for people who are around junk food all the time, or who never exercise!

roberta walker
Username: roberta

Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My 12 year old son has been told to do sit ups with his ankles crossed and his knees open to the floor. It arches the back before you start and I think that it would put strain on the lower back. Apparently his teacher says it is better because of something to do with his hip flexors. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

aksnowgirl
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey, im in pretty good shape, my waist is small but my butt is NOT.
i try to exerise it off but it just affects my belly instead. r there any specific exerise i should do?

Geena Monk
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi everyone!
by now we have to agreee that starving oneself is not a good thing (as above--but also for risk of gall-bladder/stones).

We know that lots of celebrities do starve, and wishing to look like them, we feel pressured to as well. But remember there are plenty of fit people to use as inspirations instead. and guess what? many of them (atheletes, dancers for example)are NOT skinny--but are very attractive nonetheless.

so what to do about love handles? regualr sit ups work the mid stomache/six-pack. So do side stretches to lose the side fat.

There are many ways to do this. You can stand and lean to ur side, back to center and to the other side. use wieghts only AFTER you have toned up for a few weeks without weights.

You also can try lying on your back with legs bent and simply reaching with one arm towarsd your feet. DO NOT LIFT YOUR HEAD. you will sprain yourself and then be immobilized/get flabby! lol!
so do repetions then switch sides.

once your muscles get strong there, you can try harder workout-- side crunches annd the like.
But to burn fat, do lots of repetion without weights. i have trimmed my waist this way.

also re: baby fat. It will come off as you get older and watch your intake of junk food,exercise. you'll see ;->.

Re: bigger weight issues. I found that most of us don't BREATHE enough so we get tired and anxious or grumpy. and we can't exercise to our potential.

Even while sitting we should be aware and take deep breaths. Pilates teaches us to breathe and expand the chest horizontally, rather than puffing out the tummy and i find that this not only exercises the tummy, but relieves back pain.

When you exhale, pull your tummy in and imagine that you are lifting it up into your heart. then give a little cough. By doing that you should feel a deep core muscle in your lower ab.

Eventually just by breathing (you won't have to cough each time! lol!) you can keep your abs firm and your back straight. This lengthens your whole torso, and makes you look taller and more slender. (by lenghtening your spine)By strenghtening your core this way, it also helps you prevent knee and hip and back injuries.

practice good posture and breathing. this will help you feel bettr and tone your muscles in between exercise. When i am bending i keep my back straight and draw in my tummyin the way above. So i do this while brushing my teeth etc. it is a no brainer but yu will feel your muscles/core getting firmer.

Trust me, Strenghtening your core in between work-outs will help you do your situps to the best effect. or you may never have to do them again...!

Find secret/downtime exercise..One thing that helps is to do lots of "squeezes" while being caught in traffic, sitting for hours somewhere etcwhile watching tv,. NO-ONE NOTICES and it sneaks in a little exercise that you might not have gotten in on your tired/no gym day.

soo last thing i'd like to say is there are lots of healthy and fit "bigger" people--(not obese, but not skinny). as long as you look confident, hold yourself well, and are healthy you'll have won the greatest battle with your weight/fat/self-image issues.

...Being a small size (and i am one of these) is nothing if you are not healthy and fit! you won't be happy at being a small size either if you are flabby or winded orgrouchy from eating junk food.

wish me luck in my pursuit of healthiness--and i wish you the same!
xox

Exercise Sci. Student
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 06:44 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barbie- You are 14 - just eat a balanced diet and be active. You are still growing. Dieting could be cutting out vital nutrients that you need to grow and be healthy in the future. Water is good, but don't feel that you have to diet at your age.

Sally Carey
Username: sacarey

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 06:51 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Geena Monk - To loose the side fat and love handles...Spot reduction is a myth. You cannot exercise a specific body part and expect to lose fat at that location. Our bods don't work that way. When you decrease your energy intake and increase your energy expenditure your bod will use fat...not necessarily from one remote spot.
Good luck in your fitness goals!

megan Schendel
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 06:18 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have always wanted to be skinny like all my girlfriends, but i am not allowed to go to the gym, and when i exercize alone i get really bored and just the concept of exersizing makes me feel bored and unentertained? how can i loose weight and still keep busy?

sin
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 04:51 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, how are you doing??

Right now I am 17 years old and weight at about 125lbs

My problem is that before i used to be a lil overweigth, and now i am very skinny but i still have some body fat left on the hips and thighs

not alot but still some,

i would like to know how i can loose this fat, also the fat from my thights as well; the other problem is that i do not want to lose too much wait as i am already skinny as it is , i just wanted to get this fat out, and some fat from my thighs

your advice would be very much appreicated

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information