Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Weight Loss Questions * Weight training on an overweight person...???? < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gabs

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 12:11 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

gabs
Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 11:09 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do I go about training with weights when I am about 50-70lbs over weight. I do cordio 3-4 times a week 30-50 mins of it. Alternate my days with weight training. I do 3 times a week of weight training. Right now I am working the whole body. I do 3 sets of 12 uppper and 3 sets of 15 lower with moderate weight, that when I finish the last set I can bearly lift the last rep. I am some what sore the next day and feel what body part I worked the day before and feels really realllly good. I was just wondering that since I am over weight how many set and how heavy should I lift. I do not want to bulk up or anything because I am trying to loose all these weight 80lbs. I know that muscle burns fat but how do I do it. I need some info...help..*smile

I was also told that doing this routine 3 weeks and changing it to another 3 weeks or lower body one day upper body the other...and so on so I can confuse my body and my body does not ajust to the routine...is that so or who can tell me different. I feel good about my routine and my local gym trainer where I go told me to do it like this. It was a one time sesson thing a fee one but Im just worried bout bulking up.. on my back or shoulders or legs...know what I mean??

can someone please help...??

gabs*

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 03:14 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have a personal trainer at my gym. and they told me to do 2 sets of 12 reps of basically everything (they showed me all of it) 3 days a week. and cardio ATLEAST 4 times a week even if its just walking for 20 minutes a day.

oh and im overweight too.

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 04:29 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a general rule, you should alternate days on your routine. If you are just getting started, here is what you might think about:
Mon-Wed-Fri - arms & chest
Tues-Thursday - legs & back
Getting started: do 4 sets of 12 reps. Use as much weight as you can to complete this. After 4 weeks, increase the weight by 10 lbs, and decrease the reps to 8.
Mind you, this will increase your overall strength tremendously. (do the math:10lbs in strength per month = 120lbs increase in your bench in one calendar year!) Also, muscle does weigh more than fat. However, it sounds to me like you don't really have a weight issue --- you have a fat issue. Does it really matter how much you weigh, if you are toned and physically fit? Notice, I used the word "toned" there for a reason. As with *any* physical routine -- if you are just beginning -- have a checkup with your physician and discuss your plans. Also, with your cardio, make sure that you are getting your heartrate to "fat burning", rather than "I'm training for the Olympics".

gabs

Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 06:41 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the advice and that is so true about loosing weight. The more I learn about health the more I come to terms on weight. I know that muscle is heavier than fat. I say I want to loose about 70-80 lbs and I know I need to do it right and take it slow so fat is what I loose. Doing weight training together will bring me up a few lbs and it will seem like I have not lost 70lbs and I am ok with that. I just want to be toned like you said and healthy. I did check with my doctor after my 6 week post-partum pregnancy. I had to take it easy for a month and now I am doing very well and I love it. I got into some old pants that I had not worn in years and my hubby noticed the diff right away. Things like that is what keeps me going. I will keep up the good work cuz I know that a year from now I am going to be in much better health and with a body to show off...hehehehe can't wait. I will start the body for life challenge in Sep 2002 and can't wait for my packet. Thanks again for the advice.

gabs*

_______________________________-

230/215/140 goal weigh...

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 08:03 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok well i think my personal trainer knows what shes talking about since she has the degree. but ok. whatever works for you. :)

Nick

Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 05:23 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gabs: Just an aside to the other listed excercises, you might want to try jump rope. It's a great cardio workout, as well as a great warm up for your weight training days. As you might know, boxers generally jump rope to drop pounds before a fight, it's a quick way to reduce water weight (lots o' sweat :) ). For you, however, the cardio/warm up factor will definately be a form of long term weight loss and maintainence. Also, you'll be amazed at how quickly you start to see definition in your calves and even biceps. If you haven't jump roped in a long time (or ever) don't get discouraged. Take it slow and it'll come.

Gabs

Posted on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 02:14 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks nick for the info and advice...I have been doing kickboxing videos and there is a lot of jumping and let me tell you I can reallllly feel it after each workout and days following them. I love the feeling and I am seeying a bit difference. I will try new things to keep my workouts from groing boring. Thanks again.

gabs*

smile*

(Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 01:03 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah, word up

buhdsqgudq
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 07:58 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

alternate your lifting
chest & triceps one day
back & biceps another day
i was told legs should be done in this order
qauds, hams, calves, but can all be done the same day. also if you are looking to *not be bulky* doing low weights, but higher reps with help build long *lean* muscle. once you have lost all your weight you will see the muscle, but you have to get rid of all the fat covering it first with cardio. you cant *spot* treat fat loss. by that i mean you have lose weight over your entire body, not just in certain areas.. so dont worry about getting bulky in any certain spot as long as your doing lots of cardio and lifting low weight, high reps.

lynsey wilson
Username: bonita25

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 11:38 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i dissagree! i guess different strokes for different folks! im 3 stone overweight and was doing the gym(weights and cardio) i didnt lose weight and all i felt i did was tone up my fat that i needed to lose,i know it doesnt make sense but im gonna leave the weights totally for now and concentrate on losing fat rather than muscle as im getting myself confused:-/ i seem to be putting weight on but im excersicing more !

lindac
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 11:38 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like you got the basics down, but need a little confidence. First..cardio will get the fat off. Do 20-30 min. with your heart rate between 50 and 75 % of the max it can do. Build muscle with 8-10 reps @ a weight that makes it verry difficult to finish each set. do 2-3 sets. Start with your "butt", then hamstrings ( leg curls, etc.) then calves and last inner and outer thigh. Always work the "Big" muscles first. finish with at least 10 more minutes on the treadmill or whatever to cool down. Rest the next day. The following day work the chest, back and triceps or chest, back and biceps. Same high weight, same # of reps, same # of sets. Same cardio and cool down. Rest a day in between each muscle work-out. If you feel you are ready, then you can DECREASE the weights, do more repetitions, and more sets, but always rest at least 2 days before you work the same body parts with weights. If you are gaining weight...that is GOOD! It means you are building muscle, and in time will use more calories in everyday life. Measure your waist, hips, thighs, arms, wrists, etc. and check these measurements again a few weeks from now. Make a daily journal of all food and drink, and at the end of the week actually add up all the fat, protein and carbs as well as total calories you have eaten. You should eat no LESS than 1500 cals a day, no carbs after 7PM and MUst eat breakfast within an hour after rising. Try to eat your carbs with breakfast and lunch. ( make an egg sandwich for example instead of just scrambled egg), Try to buy bread with the highest fiber content possible. NO WHITE BREAD!! Be sure you have a good snack between breakfast and lunch and make it a veggie or a fruit like melon, orange, apple, or berries, or a piece of cheese. Eat NO processed foods. No fast foods, no "low Cal" "low fat" processed foods. Last..plan to do this for a good few months. Don't look for a quick fix, there truly are NoNE! Measure your success by how your clothes fit, you feel, and your own measure of self. Please, do not stop lifing weights. Your body will thank you. OH..and really Last...when you tire of a "routine", get help from the gym. Ask for help with other machines, free weights, etc. And if they don't help..persist, or get another gym. Someone WILL help you. If you give up you will loose muscle! Don't do it! Drink lots and lots of water, envision yourself the way you know you can be and keep at it! If you give up you will not loose fat, but loose health!

Tammie
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 08:28 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am trying to loose about 20 lbs. I have what I call CBS(chunky back syndrome) almost to the point where I laugh and say I need a bra for my back. LOL I have the excess in my mid section too. I really would love to loose it before Summer gets here. Thanks for any suggestions....

Patty Thompson
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:54 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone, I need some advice: I lost 73lbs in the past year. I work out everyday for 2hrs- cardio then weights, glutes, hips, thighs. After all this weight loss I am having a problem with excess fat on the back of my arms, and thighs. It is so embarassing for me. Not sure if I should have surgery or maybe another year will take care of this problem. I sure could use some advice. Thank You

Iron Bill
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 03:42 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You do not loose fat, you l-o-s-e fat! Then your clothes will be l-o-o-s-e. Sorry, I'm not really that anal. I can deal with it once or twice, but not constantly throughout the thread! Peace...

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information