Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Weight Loss Questions * Managers Fast Food Diet < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 02:36 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a manager in a fast food business. I have no problem watching what I eat at home but work is another story. I work an average of 10-12 hours a day. I am a manager which means I can not leave the restaurant and do not get a break. Lets be honest the "golden Arches" offers nothing lite. I can't cook anything there and its against health code to put outside food into the coolers. HELP??????? Are slimfast and energy bars my only options? Just smelling the food seems to keep the fat on my bones. Any suggestions would be helpful I can't skip lunch and dinner, and much of what I have been reading says to eat three times a day......PLEASE anything would be helpful. Any other Fast food Managers know a trick that they are willing to share THANKS

Nick

Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 05:52 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anon: Are you allowed to bring in a boxed/sack lunch? If so, I would load up on a lot of snack like foods:

Carrot/celery sticks
Whole wheat, non-fat, crackers
Almond buttered whole wheat muffins
Dry tuna on whole wheat (notice the whole wheat theme! :) )
Maybe a protein drink
Drink a lot of water

Beyond that, I trick a friend of mine uses is to buy frozen garden veggies (peas, carrot cubes, etc. - but you can do it with any frozen veggies) and put them in a container before leaving to work. This way, they stay frozen for a while and when you eat them they're still good, if not a little chilled. Stay away from those fries and burgers!! I hope this helps! :)

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 08:12 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doesn't Mcdonalds have a grilled chicken sandwich? I would just eat the chicken, and a garden salad with the lite dressing! That actually sounds good! And for a snack, how about one of those fruit and yogurt parfaits?

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 01:54 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lets be honst the McChicken is marinated and is not really light There is more salt and seasoning in it then you want to know. Trust me I ate it until I couldnt stand chicken. We no longer have to garden salads since they started with the shakers cheese and lettuce. Cucumbers, brocolli and carots are no longer carried.I thought the fruit and yogurt parfait were light since they were yogurt but my boss informed me it was sweet yogurt so I needed to stay away from it. How can they screw up yogurt????? The ice cream was light at one time but this too has changed. Look over a nutrition sheet next time you visit, it will shock you.... I will try the frozen vgggie thing I never thought of eating them chilled I just wonder if that is safe to let them sit out like that.

wayne coghill

Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 03:35 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're still out there and looking for a solution...

Buy an insulated bag (the kind with an optional ice pack) and bring your lunch with you preferably lunch and several light snacks. I understand the health dept issues so keep it on your desk thats 100% acceptable. (Tell your supervisor to stuff it if they dont like it)

Raw vegatables can sit out for days before becoming unsafe and most of that is from surface contamination. Meat is what you need to be careful with if its out longer than 2 hours.

Ive always found when I worked in managing food that I actually lost weight because of the intense sustained activity... unfortunately turned out to be mostly muscle.

Lets be honest you work 65 -80 hours a week and if you have a life outside your job that doesnt leave much time to exercise and prepare healthy meals. I know many days it seems like you get up go to work come home and sleep.

The long hours high stress and access to foods that are bad for you are all contributing factors that lead to weight gain and overall poor health.

Hard as it might be to consider giving up that carreer.. in the long run you might be better off. You dont see many 60 year old managers of fast food do you?

My brother is still in the food trap with cholesterol over 1000 and been hospitalized twice this year for hypertension. He's 45, rail thin, but a career manager and its going to kill him.

On second thought I think they are hiring at the coal mines... thats safer and more healthy!

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 05:34 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AMEN TO THAT IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS THE TRUTH ABOUT FAST FOOD SLAVERY "I MEAN MANAGEMENT"

Well I want to thank you for the sugestions. I have tried both the frozen vegies and i keep my other food in an insulated bag. I have to totally agree with the 65 to 80 hours a week (I actually only got 68 hours last week) but right now im only 26 and am going to college full time to get out of the food trap. I checked my chloresterol well its in the 600s. I know stress has a impact on weight but thats part of the job. I am trying to eat more each day instead of once or twice. Im still at the plateau but still working on it................

Cal/Fat Counter

Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 06:21 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, another offering of imput.....

I use to work for McDonalds many moons ago, as well as working for many other fast food establishments (in my teen years and early twenties - spent 13 years of my life working/managing in "fast food" restaurants). We ALWAYS were trained to do things (cook and prepare) according to the manuals (exact weights and measures of each product, before placing them on the grill or on a sandwich). Has that changed?????? Because, if it has, then the McDonalds Web site has false information.

Someone suggested reading the info pamphlet next time you go into McDonalds. I'm am anal about counting calories and fat grams, so I faithfully research these things.

If I recall correctly, as far as the McDonalds web site states, a Grilled chicken sandwich - WITHOUT mayo - is 300 calories and 6 grams of fat, and a Grilled Chicken Salad Shaker - WITHOUT dressing - is 100 calories and 2.5 grams of fat (the grilled chicken salad is what I eat when I take my 3yr old son to McDonalds for his chicken nuggets). A fruit and yogart parfait is only 280cal and 4grms of fat (not bad for a dessert), and McDonalds now has a smaller version, half the size, on the dollar menu.

Also, if you work there, there are many other options YOU can do, as opposed to just "joe shmoe customer". You have access to the grill yourself.

You could take a piece of the chicken breast and grill it up yourself. How about an "LT" sandwich. Yes.... a roll with just lettuce and tomato, maybe some mustard or ketchup (both extremely low cal and fat free), is actually quite tasty. Does your McDonalds have Lobster rolls? Make yourself a lobster roll WITHOUT mayo. Lobster meat, as well as imitation lobster (pollack) is a good choice. (the imitation is actually less in calories and fat then the real thing). You can even crumble this over a bed of lettuce, and dice up a few tomato slices.

Do you work a lot of breakfast shifts? If yes,then great. Make yourself some scrambled eggs with only the egg whites. A toasted english muffin is low in fat and calories (without the butter or marg, add very little jelly 1 TBL of grape jelly has 50cal/0fat). Watch your bagels, not all bagels are healthy. check the label to see if it's listed. Make an egg sandwich with dry toast and egg whites.

I know it's tough. Like I said, I've been there, and you are right. Yes, trying to whip up something to eat is difficult, but it can be done, with patience and thought.

**** Bravo to everyone above, great suggestions. They are perfect.

I just wanted to show you that, in a pinch, if you forgot to bring food, or got unexpectedly held over through the next shift because your relief didn't show up for work tonight (been there, done that - a lot), then you CAN put something togeather that's healthy to eat.
Look around the grill area, you'll find something.

Rule of thumb.... stay away from anything that has oil in/on it, and don't use oil to cook with.

Good luck, and happy, healthy eating!!

~
Cal/Fat Counter

Ted Williams (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 07:01 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many people may disagree with me,but I believe that you can eat healthy at McDonalds and at other fast food restaurants.Choose chicken sandwiches instead of a hamburger.Order your chicken sandwich with mustard instead of mayo.If you need a drink,use a Diet drink instead of regular.Skip over the ice cream and other sweets.Also,you can eat a salad with fat free/low fat dressing.SEE.YOU CAN STILL EAT HEALTHY!

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information