Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Weight Loss Questions * Calorie Range < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeni

Rating: 
Votes: 3 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 02:13 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what my calorie range would be? As well...if anyone can help me with some diet tips I would be forever grateful! I've always been a bit overweight, but lately I've been through a lot of looked to food for comfort. I'm never ever going to get all of this weight off
:o(

robyn

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 08:09 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

check out what I wrote under the "Attn: new mother's" conversation....that is what worked for me!
~Robyn~

esmerelda

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 06:55 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeni the rule of thumb is to take your goal weight and add a zero on to the end and then add the first 3 digits... for example if you would like to weigh 140lbs then u need to eat 1540 caloris or day or less... how quickly this weight comes off will depend on your current weight; if you weigh 180 lbs you need to eat 1980 calories a day to mainain your current weight.....this would make a difference of 440 calories a day and you should lose almost a pound a week

Andrew Tam

Rating: 
Votes: 3 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 06:14 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok well I can't say that calorie counting is the best way to go about it, but I was overweight bigtime Jan 1st 2003 (240 lbs) I'm only 5'8". Anyhow I just ate a balanced diet and included 30 mins of cardio daily + a toning weight lifting session (I spend about 1hr 15 mins in the gym daily) which really isn't a lot.

Meal wise, I just stopped eating large meals, I started eating smaller portions but 5-6 times a day and sort of changed my lifestyle. No more fast food, no more pop or juices.

For myself I know that I used to eat large meals 2-4 times daily, like a whole Pizza + 2L pop (which would substitute like lunch and dinner) this decreased my metabolism... so the idea is to get your metabolism up. 2 ways of doing it is to eat smaller "healthier" meals throughout the day starting with Breakfast and or start an exercise program which will help by building muscle which inturns burns calories and cardio will help in burning calories as well.

here's an example of my typical day:

6:15 Apple

6:30 Workout session

8:00 Breakfast: Kellog's Frosted Mini-Wheats
(brown sugar ones) + skim milk + protein
powder + banana or straberries (season
permitting)

9:30 Snack: Pear or 1/2 Grapefruit

12:00 Lunch: 2 slices 12 grain bread + 4 slices
schneider's no fat turkey or chicken (use
no-fat or low fat spreads, I use honey
mustard) + small bag of baby carrots and
celery (15 baby carrots + 2 sticks of
celery)

3:00 Snack: 4 small chocolate easter eggs + Pear
1/2 grapefruit

6:00 Dinner: regular bowl of salad + 1 cup rice +
6Oz. meat either chicken, beef or fish (this
is roughly about the size of 2 decks of
playing cards)

9:00 bedtime for me

that's my typical day, on friday nights saturday nights and sunday nights, I will usually relax a bit and have an ice cream or pizza but in moderate amounts since now I can't eat a whole pizza anymore my stomach has shrunk and I can prolly only eat about 3 slices.

This sort of eating mentality has done wonders for me. I've lost 80 lbs in 4 months. I'm now 160 and look GREAT!!!

hope this helps

- AT -

Jami

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 10:09 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you stay low on calories, you'll gain weight back a lot quicker, it won't stay off, and your metabolism isn't right.. Try staying low on carbs, sugar, transfats (such as margarine), and sodium. Losing weight slowly is best. And excersize/drink lots of water! Suzanne Summers, slightly Atkins, and the Oprah special on healthy eating she had recently are helpful. I also enjoy doing Pilates and running. Goodluck :-)

abel
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 02:35 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew Tam....I would be very interested in your before and after pics (if, of course you don't mine). It seems me and you were very close in weight and size. Right now I am about 5'8" and weight roughly 270lbs-280lbs.

I have been on something such as you, more protein, however, because I am in depth in lifting weights. M-F I try to stay pretty stirct to protien for breakfast and lunch, snack might be some waffles or sandwhich and then dinner is more protien shakes and maybe eggs or another sandwhich. However, I do hit the gym 6-7 times a week and stay roughly 1hr-2hrs there.

I have only been doing this maybe a month (after I found out that I am tired of being over-weight, age 17)....but I really don't see too much loss in weight, I do see some, but not as much as I would like....I know it doesn't come over-night, but what other advice can I get from you or others here who are somewhat like us?

Andrea
Username: ncgirl

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:51 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What's your current weight and height?

lee-ann
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 02:05 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, i have been trying to lose weight. i have cut down every thing by half and go to gym often but i am not getting any results.plz!! can someone help me to lose weight without any negative affects. thanx lee-ann

frustrated
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 09:05 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's counting carbs, counting calories, limiting fat, sugar..... I am so confused. The low carb thing limits carbs and promotes fat, the general idea previous to that was limit fat and promote carbs. I don't know if I'm supposed to count calories, carbs, or fat grahms. My goal is to lose 20 pounds, and I want to know the best way to go about it.

Elizabeth Mallory
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 09:52 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK--I have had a weight prob since junior high and then when I was 25, I lost 55 pounds. Two years later, I had a baby and lost all of my "baby" weight except 5 pounds. Well, then I had another pregnancy (this time twins)--and gained 57 pounds. I now have about 33ish pounds hanging around. I have taken off for 4 months, excercise wise, mainly because of my schedule. So, about 3 weeks ago, my friend and I started walking in the a.m.--I wake-up at 4:30 to feed my daughter and then go on a two-mile walk. I get home and really want to go back to bed while my kids are still asleep--the question is...will I lose all the effectiveness of the exercise if I go directly back to bed? The logical answer is to walk later, but that is not possible...this is literally the only time that I can get away to exercise. HELP!!!!! I have got to lose weight again and am trying by establishing an exercise routine, but don't want to sabotage myself.

adina
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 11:36 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your calorie needs are based on your height, weight, age and activity level. Nobody can guess exactly how many calories you need, though seeing a registered dietitian can give you a fair estimate. Another option is to get your metabolic rate tested. The company Healthetech has a product called "MedGem". It's a small hand held device that measures your breathing and in five to ten minutes you get your result. That's really the best way to know for sure. There's another company that makes such a device, but I forget the name. Anyway, do a search for Healthetech on the internet to find a professional in your area that does these measurements.

Once you know how many calories your body burns you know that going FAR below that amount is useless. You'll also know that if you THINK you are eating very little you CAN'T possibly be eatting less than your metabolic rate--if you think you are...then you need to pay closer attention to your food intake.

And finally, like many people on here have said...you don't have to COUNT calories every day of your life. It might help when you get started to give you a rough idea of how much food that is...but simply having smaller portions will help you too.

But remember don't go from a HUGE meal to a tiny salad--you don't have to cut ALL your calories...just 300-500 less than you normally eat.

Keep track of your food for 2-3 weeks. Then randomly choose some days and evaluate the calories. Once you see some patterns, be a detective and figure out ways to improve.

Good luck

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information