Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Weight Loss Questions * Water not important? < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

wayne coghill

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 02:49 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok I recently saw an article that the AP picked up about water in your diet. I'm not looking for unsubstantiated claims or opinion... just referenced studies or other very reliable sources.

The gist of the article was this that the 8x8 rule (8 glasses 8 times a day) was a wives tale. The doctor who wrote the piece said that they could find no substantiation to back up the 8x8 rule. That no studies have ever indicated that water helps to loose weight or that you need more water than your thirst dictates. Excess water simply made you go to the bathroom more, except in medical situations where water is needed to flush the kidneys i.e. kidney stones and a very few others.

Also he confirmed that yes you do need aprox 70 ounces of water a day but said mostly this was already contained in the food you ate and the rest could easily be obtained from any other liquid source caffinated or not.

This leads to the conclusion that the 8x8 rule was a misrepresentation of your daily intake needs without considering the water in the foods you ate.

Does anyone have any reference to a rock solid medical study that is contrary to this?

Sabrina Altschuler
Username: da1uleastxpect

Post Number: 3

Rating: 
Votes: 4 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 01:22 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would disagree. The 8x8 rule is a general standard for someone at average weight. The truth is that one is suppose to drink half their body weight in ounces (i.e: a 150lbs. person should drink 75 fl oz. per day). Personally as a runner i know that i feel more alert, can run faster, can run longer when i have drank at least 80 fl oz. Even on days when i don't run having at least 64 fl oz. makes me feel more alert because i am not fatiged from being dehydrated. As far as caffenine not mattering i would disagree because caffenine is a natural diertic. Even if this medical study said that the 8x8 rule wasn't important and neither was drinking 70fl oz. is straight water you should check you the study is approved by such as the FDA, because as study is a just a general concensus of some doctors not the concensus of many and definetly not the majority.
Hope this helped.

Tak
Unregistered guest

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is incredible how some so-called experts still recommend 8 cups of water per day without scientific reference or practical experience.

The 8 cups per day originates from the Food and Nutrition Board in which a 1945 article calculated the average consumption of water per day. If you eat 2500 kcalories per day, and if the requirement for water is 1 ml per kcalorie, then you should be consuming 2500 millilitres per day, but the sum is calculated upon the water that is contained in the food, the water that is produced as a by-product of metabolism and the fluids that you drink. One third of the water is contained within the food, another third is produced by metabolism and the last third is what you drink which is 833 ml or 28 ounces. Therefore, drinking a minimum of one cup per meal is sufficient to meet one's daily need for water.

When you exercise, 80 percent of your energy is lost as heat and if you exercise for prolonged periods, sweating helps to dissipate that heat from your core to the surface. Your requirement for water increases in proportion to your activity. However, you donít just lose water; you also lose salt. If athletes restrict salt, they run the risk of fatigue, muscle cramps and damage. Moreover, profuse sweating will reduce the salt concentration of the skeletal blood compared to the concentration in the brain. When this happens, fluid will travel to the brain through the process of osmosis that can lead to seizures and death. There are cases of highly motivated US military hikers who expired by drinking water without replacing the lost salt which prompted some ignorant physicians to recommend the reduction of water during heavy activity.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information