Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Weight Loss Questions * Has anyone got any hints for getting through a plateau? < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bubbleberry

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 05:53 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just lost 56lbs and now i am stuck with another 21lbs to go, but i cant seem to tip the scales in my favour. I have lowered my daily calorie intake to around 1000 cal from 1200cal, but this is not seemingly working.
I have increased my exersise as well, but nothing seems to be working for me. has anyone got some ideas as to what i can do next??

Rosie

Posted on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 01:25 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bubbleberry....at the beginning of dieting one always loses the most weight and then starts to slow down....keep on with what you are doing you will begin to see results again....at this point i think you are maintaining your weight....that happened to me...i lost 57lbs and then nothing for a while...but now i lost 5 more pounds....it took a little longer but now i am in track and the weight is falling off.....you can do the same!!!
i dont know if this is much help but all it takes is a little patience!!! GOOD LUCK!!
Rosie

Kent Allard

Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 11:30 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too have hit a sandbar. Tomorrow morning I'm starting up the ol' calorie-intake diary and see if I really am under the bar or not. Paper and pencil is usually the answer here and for money too.

JT

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 09:41 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going through the same thing. I don't eat meat or dairy. I do eat lots of veggies and fruit and drink 8 glasses of water a day. I also workout 7 days a week doing cardio and weights, sill I can not loose the last 20 pounds to be 140 lb. I am just now doing Pilates every morning, we shall see?

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 12:55 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The perfect thing to do for a plateu, is to change your eating times and increase your food intake for a day (not too much). Then make it smaller for a day, increase for a day then go back to smaller lower calorie diets again. You may even want to shake up your exercise time. This will stimulate your metabolism to jump out of its regularly scheduled routine. Within a week, you should drop 2-5 pounds. Hope this helps! I heard about it and tried it and it was succefful. I lose 5 pounds within a week and a half. Only do this once a month with at least 2 weeks in between. You don't want too many high calorie meals close together. Good luck!

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 08:24 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with the increase of food intake for a day (not too much). Also try rotating your exercises. Your body can become used to the same old routine, give it a shake up. Try biking, rowing, jumping rope, running, walking, weight lifting, aerobics on a rotating basis. I love Tae-Bo also. I think it is an awesome workout. I purchased a punching bag and gloves and do some kickboxing and punching. What a workout. Even if you are in good cardio shape, if you have never tried this type of workout it will exhaust and wind you within 15 minutes......Remember to drink water, try and eat healthy.

michelependleton

Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 03:50 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been exercising since November 2002 and have lost about 52lbs. I have a great hint for beating a plateau.

First of all, once your body discovers you are limiting calories (i.e. dieting) it gets really smart and releases these "starvation hormones" which in turn reduce your ability to shed the pounds. Eventually, you will begin to gain weight.

What you actually need to do is increase your calorie intake. For about 5 days, increase your calories by 200-300 calories. Make sure the calories are not fat or salt laden. Then you can slowly reduce the calories and start to see a weight loss again.

Remember- exercise also helps!

Leigh L.

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:55 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Argh! I have hit my plateau too! I only have ten more to go!! I tried the shock thing, lowered calories then increased then lowered, still stayed at the same number on the scale!

I am constantly rotating my cardio, bike treadmill and stairmonster....STILL cant get past those numbers on the scale!

I even started WALKING to the gym and back home - srill same nu,mbers on the damn scale and my measurements have stayed the same from that first initail drop in weight.

Do I just hang in there or am I only maintaining cause this is only enough to stay this weight?

ARGH!

Jami

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 11:56 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

noo don't reduce the number of calories you take in... I've sent this to a few forums already, but I'll just send it again:

sugar, salt (sodium), and transfats (like margarin)... Stock up on fruits (except bananas.. that will make your blood sugar level rise) and veggies (except corn and sometimes, yes, carrots). Whole wheat and good oatmeal is healthy. Not the sugar-filled oatmeal though so watch out. Also, check food labels. Sugar is hidden. Corn syrup and any kind of oil, except vegetable oil and canola oil, is not good. And, sodium is high in things such as salad dressing, so like I said, read labels. Drink plenty of water, and green tea is excellent too. Exersize regularly, and for abs, run about 5-10 minutes, do crunches, run 5-10 minutes, do crunches.. keep repeating this. Also Pilates is really good, and Yoga too. Do not starve yourself, just eat healthy. I suggest the Atkins diet (except somethings about it like how you can't have fruit and the liver problems you can get are bad), and Susanne Summers is good too. Read her books. Loosing weight slowly is best to keep it off in the long run. And if you saw the Oprah show on June 23rd, the one on healthy eating, is helpful. This might all sound confusing, but it's not as hard as it sounds. I'm only 15 and following this, and I'm fine. Goodluck :-)

also keep a journal and weigh yourself right after you go to the bathroom in the morning and before you eat

Karl O'Neill
Username: theiceberg

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 04:45 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My advise to you is to change your exercise plan. Your body has become accustomed to your programme. Change the programme and you will see the results.

Donna MacBurney
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 12:09 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find when I actually reach a definite plateau where I lose no weight in 3 consecutive weeks that I need to shock my system. I do this by pushing carbs for 2 days usually a weekend. My body thinks that it will not get any more carbs, so it is actually holding on to all the fat it can. This is a built in defense mechanism that god gave us. Same principal such as the way to get rid of extra water is to force fluids, the body will release the water because it knows it will get more.. You will be suprised at how fast the weight starts comming back off.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information