Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Weight Loss Questions * All The Bickering About Which "Diet" is best..... < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cal/Fat Counter

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 05:26 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All,

I just found your site, and briefly read through many of the postings. I just wanted add MY two cents worth in. I've been "dieting" (actually, you may officially call it a life style change) since Feb. 2002, and have lost a total of 65 lbs.

Now, I CAN'T boast going down to a size 3 like one of the recent posts (my body could never get that small), but I have gone from a size 20 to a size 12. I still have 11 more pounds to go before I reach my goal. But again, I've come to the resolve this time, something I've never done before starting other diets, that I'm gonna have to eat like this (or similar to) for the rest of my life.

Having said that, let me tell you how I lost it.
I've been counting calories AND fat grams, both. I've also incorporated a lot of SOY protiens into my diet, but have NOT cut carbs. I've been eating 1200 calories a day / 12 grams of fat. When I reach my goal, I intend to up my calories to 1500-1800 and my fat grams to 15-20grams (to maintain my weight).

The reason I wanted to post a message here was because of all the bickering I see going on - both here and numerous other places. People seem to see fit to "bash" eachother because they don't agree on what THEY think is the best way to lose weight, or maintain. People cant' say what diet is "BEST", only what is best for them.

I, myself, tried the Atkins diet about 2years ago, and failed. I followed it faithfully for 2 months, and lost less then 5 pounds. After having "neglected" (as it felt to me) myself for so long, with relatively no results, I found it difficult to continue to stick with it. After all, I admit it, I AM a carb junkie !!!

*** However, I have a friend who swears by Atkins.
She has lost MUCHO weight, and is extremely happy having her scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast every morning (while I munch on my toasted english muffin-dry, and sip my coffee with skim milk and sweet-n-low).

A girl I use to work with dropped 45 pounds with Slim Fast. Although I don't think this is a way to maintain a healthy weight for life, she has a great system that she loves. She closely moniters her weight, and if she gains more then 5 pounds, she goes back to Slim Fast until she drops it, then eat's "normal" again. Hey, it's not for me, but it works for her!!!

The thing is, you need to try a variety of things before you find the right one. Unfortunatelly for me, I have ALWAYS had a weight problem for as long as I can remember. Once I hit puberty, the pounds just packed on. So, I've tried many, many diets. The good thing about that is that I learned a lot from each one. The fact is, my experience with Atkins, and other diets, were not complete flops in the long run. I DID take some helpful "tidbits" from many of them, and incorporated them into my own weightloss plan, that I put together myself. Like "soy protiens" from Atkins, and the Snack Bars (from companies like Slim Fast, Dr. Soy, Genisoy, even Avon). Now mind you, I don't go the "replace a meal with a bar" route (although that may work for you, I just choose not to), but as I said above, I'm a carb junkie, and I have a HUGE sweet tooth. I've found that it's amaizing how much less calories and fat grams a Dr. Soy bar has (180 calories / 3.5grms of fat), as opposed to a regular candy bar. And believe it or not, it's quiete yummy!(and no, I don't eat one every day!) And I've learned a lot at the health food store (I practically live there now). Like for example, a company called "Health is Wealth" makes a Chicken free nugget that has only 90 calories and 1 gram of fat per serving of 3 nuggets. No, I haven't swarn off meat, either. I eat it on a regular basis. But, these are the ONLY "nuggets" I've found that are extremely low in fat and calories, and taste awesome. Plus, they are a great source of soy protien. These are a junk food junkies heaven.

Anyway, I'm not here to "sell" my diet plan, just to use it to demonstrate how not just "one" diet is the right one. Some times it's right for you, but not for the next person, and sometimes a great COMBINATION of a bunch of great diets is just what it takes.

So please, Don't criticize someone else because they don't share your views on different diets. Listen to them, you might learn something. AND, just be proud that each individual has found their own path to weight loss.

The goal is to loos weight, and be able to keep it off by eating in a way YOU like to eat, not how someone else tells you that you HAVE to eat.
If it works for you, then you're more likely to do it for life.

Contratulations to all !!!

~
Cal/Fat Counter

anonymous

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 10:57 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that is the best message anyone can adhere to. Everyone is different, and everyone has different things that make them loose or gain weight, so no certain diet is best for "everyone". I have done several diets and I find that I feel better and loose weight when I cut down on my carbs, however, my friend looses weight by cutting calories instead. I think that if you keep searching for the one thing that works for you, you will eventually find it, and you will find that its not so hard to loose weight and keep it off. :)

JellyBelly
Unregistered guest

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 02:45 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried many diets before finding one that I could stick with. That was the key for me. Many diets worked, but I didn't stick with them, so in a sense, they didn't work. I do the Foundation Diet and have been on it for several months and can see myself eating this way for the rest of my life.

I agree and disagree somewhat with what you say. Biologically, we are all very similar, psychologically we are not. I think that has a lot to do with wahat diets work for some and not others.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information