Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Weight Loss Questions * Please help me! < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

joanne cole

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 02:15 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look I am 28 and weigh 233.I have tried everything
from slim fast to stackers.I need to lose weight
for myself.Plus i have to major events happen in
11 months my brother wedding if iwear the dress
they pick picture it me in a old southern dress
with a bow on the butt.i will look like a float
at the macey day parade and my high school reunion.I need help and fast.anybody

Rosie

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 01:25 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

in 11 months you can do miracles....i suggest you start to cut back on calories slowly....pay attention to fat grams and exercise at least 30 minutes a day and every week add 5 minutes until you reach an hour!!!...i began at 282lbs and now have lost over 70lbs...inches all over my body and four dress sizes...i did it all by counting calories keeping a close eye to my fat grams intake and exercising..it is hard at first but then you will become use to it...choose healthy food like veggies and fruits, whole grains...and lean cuts of meat...and watch portion sizes...dont eat if you are not hungry...if throughout the day you feel hungry drink water or an herbal tea...it cuts cravings...but if the cravings are still there...snack on fruits and veggies...much healthier than a bag of chips or cookies!!!...well its not much but if you need more tips read some of the other threads...good luck with your weight loss goal!!
Rosie

joanne cole

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 02:27 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rosie thanks for the advice I will try it.But
when will I started seeing a little bit of a differents?

Rosie

Posted on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 03:24 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well joanne everyone is different...we have different body types, different metabolism...but you are sure to lose a lot more weight in the beginning of a diet than when you lose a certain amount depending on how your metabolism is...you are sure to see physical results in a month....but weight will come off all over...in a month if your clothes are beginning to feel lose you are doing something right...you have time...so use it wisely...if you gain a few pounds dont worry muscle weighs more than fat so if you lose fat and begin to gain muscle you will weigh more and then slowly start to lose weight but your clothes will still feel lose....just begin slowly and gradually work your way up....losing weight takes time just like it took time to put it on...so think about it..in less than half the time it took to put it on you will have the weight off...if you had all these years to put it on what is one year to take it off??!! i hope that question inspires you to make it....i hope this helps!!
Rosie

Brandy

Posted on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 06:44 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I started out at 313 pounds, I'm down to 240 now, and there are a few things I've learned. Never wait until you're starving to eat!! I eat three meals a day, between specific times. I've learned that if I don't I end up starving later and that makes it much more difficult to control what I eat. Taking a drink of water in between bites of food helps me eat less. Also, when I go out someplace, like to a mall, and I know there won't be alot of healthy food there, I pack two or three peices of fruit in my purse, that way if I'm getting hungry and McDonalds is starting to "call my name" I sit down and slowly eat an apple with a bottle of water. I might still want the McDonalds, but it's alot easier to say no when my stomach isn't grumbling :-)

Cal/Fat Counter

Posted on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 02:45 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joanne,

The first thing you have to do is to come to the realization that this is something that you'll have to do for the rest of your life. You can't "diet", drop a ton of weight, and then go back to eating a "normal" again. Trust me, I've gone through that. I've been a size 9 in my life (which I will probably NEVER see again), and I've been a size 20 (the largest I got, just before I came to MY change of lifestyle realization)

Ok, having said that, you now have to figure out what is right for your body and your personality.

I hear that a low car/high protien diet works rather quickly. But, will this work for you? If you're someone that can deal with out eating breads and starches, and absolutely loves your meats and protiens, then give it a try.

You said that you tried Slim Fast, and couldn't deal with it, so obviously the liquid diets are out of the quiestion.

Like Rosie, I'm a calorie AND fat counter. I have found that this has worked for me. I've lost 65 pounds since Feb.2002. I went from 226 pounds down to 161 pounds (a size 20 to a size 12). I eat 1200 calories a day/ 12 grams of fat. The reason I count BOTH is because I've found that it's amaizing how much fat content you can still stuff into your mouth, if you only count calories. In otherwords, look at this: A table spoon of Peanut Butter has 150 calories and 17 grams of fat. That's more fat then my entire daily allowence. Add two slices of "regular" bread (160cal/2fat) and a TBLSP of jelly (50cal/0fat) you have a sandwich containing 360 calories, and 19grams of fat.

Now, you could eat a sandwich with two slices of fat free bread (80 cal/0fat), lettuce (virtually calorie free/0 fat), a slice of fat free cheese (30cal/0 fat), mustard (fat free/calorie free), and 3 slices of fat free ButterBall turky breast (60cal/0fat), all for 170 calories and 0 fat. Same quantity of food (if not even more!!!!), containing 2/3rds the same calories, but NONE of the fat.

The other tip is, keep a journal. I have a little pocket size notebook that I write down EVERYTHING I eat in a day. (I've actually used up 7 note books since I've started) I am anal about counting calories and fat grams, and keep a running tallie of each and every thing that goes in my mouth. Once I reach my calorie alotment for the day, I stop. The key is trying to pace myself throughout the day.

The reason this diet has worked for me is that, basically, you can eat what ever you want, as long as you keep track and don't go over your allowence. You will find REAL fast that it's FAR better to eat healthy (and be able to eat all day) then to give into temptation. In otherwords, would you like to eat just one Big Mac and fries, and that's it, for the whole day!! (because that sure would over top my allowence for the day), or would you rather be wise, watch yourself, and be able to have breakfast, lunch, supper, and a few snacks????

Check out the Health Food STores. The carry it all. The have mucho low fat/fat free - low calorie food substitutes. Lots of food's made from "veggies" (soy) that mimic tempting junk food, for a fraction of the calories and fat. Granted you'll pay more then a regular grocery store, but it's worth it. They have lots of fat free/low calorie snacks (chips,cookies, pastries). The key is, eat them in moderation. Read the package, MEASURE out the listed serving, only eat ONE serving, and make sure you add it in your journal.

The health food stores carry EVERYTHING for ALL the diet plans, too. They have ATKINS stuff, ZONE stuff, KASHIE stuff, as well as LUNA and all the other meal suppement things. That might be a good place for you to start. Open your Local Yellow Pages and find yourself a good Health food store (not a GNC or something like that, they just do supliments and herbals and stuff). You want a Health Food Grocery Store.

Take a walk through and read every label you can get your hands on. Most of the stores also carry books coordinating with each diet plan. Make it an afternoon that you can spend a couple of hours just reading everything. It will give you a good feel for what YOU might think you can do. Also, if you do go with counting fat and calories, take a trip to the book store and get a couple "pocket size" calorie/fat content books. These will give you info on the basics (chicken, pork, beef, fresh veggies & fruits, basic breads, nuts and grains, etc.) Some of them even list name brands of comercially made foods (soups, crackers, dressings, etc.) as well as Chain Restaurant foods. You can also find calorie and fat content of some restaurant foods on line, on their web sites.

You can also find WEIGHT WATCHERS on line (I think you can join on line too, instead of going to their local meetings). I believe ATKINS has a web site. GENNY CRAIG use to have a web site. Slim Fast is on line. You can search them all out.

And, if you try something and find it's not working for you, or you don't think you could stick with it, then by all means, move on and try something else.

Good luck, and what ever you try, don't expect miracles. A loss of one to two pounds a week is the healthist (no matter what plan you pick). If it comes off too quickly, it's likely not to stay off. Like someone else said (I think it was Rosie), it took a long time to put on, it will take a while to take off. The slow, even weight loss is more likely to stay off for life (if you continue your new found lifestyle for life).

Good luck, and keep in touch. Let us know how you're doing, and what's working for you. I like to hear how other people succeed. I just LOVE to try thier ideas, too.

~
Cal/Fat Counter

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 11:02 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need help. I weight about 186 and I am 5'4" tall. I have gained 50 lbs in 6 years. I have always gone up and down, but I am very concerned now. I weight more than I ever have. I am 31. When I come home I am not motivated to exercise at all & have little energy by the time I get home at night. When I try it, I do the same thing over and over...I exercise for a few weeks, then stop. I did try weight watchers for 3 weeks last year and lost 10 pounds. However, I am finding it hard to count points daily and stick to the meal plan I make for myself -- to tempting to eat out at lunch with friends or to snack while at home alone. I also love carbs and sweets. Stress, emotions, etc all make me wat more. Eating makes me feel better, at least at that moment...not later, when I've gained more weight! What do I do to get enough courage to try, enough patience to do it long enough to see results and keep this up reasonably so I don't quot after losing the weight? I want to be about 130 lbs so badly. I am now in size 16/18. ugh. Helpful ideas, thoughts, etc appreciated! Thanks!

Cal/Fat Counter

Posted on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 06:50 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous.......

Well, You REALLY have to start off by making the decission that this is going to be a healthy eating change, a new eating lifestyle, that you'll have to stick with for life. I don't mean that you'll have to eat bark and twiggs only till the day you meet your maker, what I mean is that you have to eat healthy and make wise choises from now one. Once you've come to that conclusion, you can then accomplish what you want to reach. You mentioned that you are 31 years old. Ya, so..... I'm 32 years old, and I just did it. I went from 226pounds, down to 160 pounds (from a size 20 to a size 12).

I sound like a parrot, but you now need to find a plan that is right for you. Obviously, those other plans didn't suit you, so you slid off them and went back to old habbits. Shop around. Like I've said before, go hit the book stores or the health food store. READ, READ, READ. Read over all the plans, see which one you REALLY think you can stick with for life. (From counting fat and calories to Atkins, and Zone, and Kashie, to all sorts of low carb or high protien plans. There's things like Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers that count the fat and calories for you, you just keep track of the "points". And then there's all Vegiterian diets, and HIGH carb diets). There are many, many ways to go about it, and many ways to eat healthy. One or another is bound to work, or like me, a combination of several mixed together may just do the trick.

And, again - I've said this before - If something isn't working for you, and you don't like it; if you feel it's to ominious, then by all means, TRY SOMETHING ELSE. Give it some time, like a couple weeks to a month, but if you can't stick with it, then it's not for you. Move on to something else. Try as many as it takes till you find the one meant for you.

As for exercise, a little is better then nothing. Take ten minutes here and there. A 10 minute walk around your neighborhood, or walk the mall - window shopping. If you have kids, then get physically involved in play with them - throw the ball, play tag or kick ball. I found a wonderful little "10 minute workout" in Woman's World Magazine. These type of magazines have that kind of articles in them all the time, keep your eyes open in the check out isle at the grocery store.

You don't need to do a 2hour drop flat on the floor with exhaustion - workout, to lose a little weight.

Good luck! I know you can do it!
~
Cal/Fat Counter

Fadumo
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 11:53 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey i am doing coursework and i was wondering if any could help me by telling me how to keep healthy and the disadvanteages and advantages of keeping helathy and the daily points of exercise.
thanks
FadumoxxXxx

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information