Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Weight Loss Questions * Wanting to join the Army but cant.... < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Colleen

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 04:04 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi every one I have been reading throught the fourms and such and every one seems so helpful, but I do have a concern and I was wondering if anyone can help, I have decied I want to join the United states Army, but in order for me to do that I have to reach a certain weight, Right now I am about 180lbs, I have to be under 142, I walk every day about 4 miles. It has seems to help, I have went down from a size 24 to an 18 but I still need to get this weight off as fast as possible so I can join, I am tring to eat good, well I dont eat much since I am alone now and have no one to cook for I usually dont cook, I dont drink anything usally but water I have never drank anything but water. I am seeming to lose some weight but not fast enough. I really want to inlist now but I can because I have some extra weight. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful thanks. Colleen

Rosie

Posted on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 01:01 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all let me congratulate you so far you have been doing great..you went from a 24 to 18...that is great!! keep up the walking routine!!! i suggest setting 4 goals of 10 pounds each...eventually it will add up to the 40 you need to take off...eat breakfast..it speeds up your metabolism and it does help with weight loss!!! drinks lot of water which it seems you already do...and take it one step at a time!! you will make it there...joining the army takes a lot of commitment..so i think you can commit to losing weight i know it is hard but you can do it!
good luck!
Rosie

Cal/Fat Counter

Posted on Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 08:11 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Colleen,

Congratulations on the progress that you have made so far. Bravo!!! Tell me, did you accomplish this with any sort of program (wether it be commercial or self made)? If so, then by all means, stick with it. It seems to be working for you.

Here's a few tips that may help: You said that you don't actually eat much at all. Well, they say that if you eat small things, frequently throughout the day, this will speed up your metabolism. So, take what you ARE eating, and break it up. In otherword, if you are having say, a bowl of cereal with an apple and some yogart for breakfast... space it out a little. Have the cereal and apple at 8am for breakfast, and the yogart for a snack around 10am. If your lunch looks like a turkey sandwich, a pear, and a couple fat free crackers with fat free cheese, then have the turkey sandwich & pear at noon, and the fat free crackers and fat free cheese for a snack around 2pm. This will help speed up your metabolism.

If you are feeling "blah" about your current eating plan or it just isn't working for you anymore, then by all means, shop around. (Remember, though, if it's still working well - you might not want to change anything).... I've actually also read that for slumps, switching to a new plan can give your weight loss a nudge back into the right direction. Check out all the options available to you, and give one a try. I always say... READ, READ, READ. Don't jump into a plan until you've thoroughly researched it. There are so many to choose from, like Atkins (and other high protien, low carb plans), Zone, Weigh Watchers, Jenny Craig, Slim Fast, and counting Fat and Calories (lots of books out there about that, and that list the fat/calorie content of everyday foods).

Don't give up hope, you'll find one you like. Keep up the good work, and remember - RAPID weight loss is not the best type of loss. It usually doesn't stay off for long. Losing about 1 to 2 pounds a week is safest.

Good luck, I know you can do it.

~
Cal/Fat Counter

Katie Jones

Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 04:34 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If anyone ever comes back to read this, I am doing the same thing... losing weight to join the army. I plan to join in about a year and a half. I really don't know how much weight I want to lose, but I do have to say that really, it doesn't matter how much you weight to join. Or at least that is what I have gathered. It mostly has to do with if you are able to pass the PT (physical training) tests. I read one person's personal account of basic training and they said they weighed 230 pounds when they joined. It was hard but the army go him through it. He lost a lot of weight by the way!!! Also, if you have lost anymore weight, let me know. Hearing about people losing weight is a real encouragement to me!!!

Sarah Saxton

Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 11:12 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I am joining the army in one month I went from a size 20 to a 12 in one year, I currently weigh 170 (I was 240) and I need to be 160 to get in, they actually dont care about you weight but your BODY FAT percentage. Have your recruiter tape you, I am 25 and for my age group you need to be 135lbs or 33% body fat and my doctor estimates that 160 is that considering I am at 34% now. Body fat is everything. Once you get in they will make sure you can pass the PT tests, its difficult but they start out slow. My husband and many of my friends are in the military.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy your experience. and most of all CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information