Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Weight Loss Questions * EXESS SKIN < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

LORENZOCRAUCAMP

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 08:41 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WHAT DOES ONE DO WHEN YOU HAVE LOST SOME OF THE EXTRA WEIGHT, BUT YOU HAVE FLABS OF SKIN HANGING ON YOUR ABDOMIN? IS THERE ENYTHING ONE CAN DO SHORT OF ABDOMIPLASTY (SKIN REMOVAL)?

Cal/Fat Counter

Posted on Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 07:25 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a good question. One that I don't have an answer to (I know, what good am I, huh?). I have actually been looking for an answer to this myself, though. Having recently lost 66 pounds, dropping from a size 20 to a size 12 - (PLUS, I still had a lot of excess skin left over from my pregnancy, [3 1/2 years ago], but I'm 129 pounds lighter NOW then I was at the peak of my pregnancy) I have a "flap" of skin that hangs just at the bottom of my abdomin. To make it worse, I have a long scar across it (my son was delivered "C-Section").

Someone told me that some health insurance companies will actually cover the removal of the skin, if it is deemed necessary by a doctor. In otherwords, if you can get your primary care doctor to write a note/prescription stating that is is medically or phyically necessary for the removal of the skin, and you can show that you've kept the weight off for over 6 months, then they may cover it.

I figure that, heck - I already have a long scar across the bottom of my belly, they can just remove the skin (which will remove that scar) and then re-stitch in the same area. Leaving still only one scar. The thing is, I sure couldn't afford the surgery without health insurance.

I haven't looked into it yet, but I think I'm going to call my insurance company and ask. I'll let you know if I get an answer that you may want to hear.

*** Does anyone else have any suggestions???

~
Cal/Fat Counter

New Visitor
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 09:17 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey guys,
Yeah, I have the same problem. I am a recovering addict. I was hooked on speed, mainly because of a really bad self-image from being obese, and dropped from 315 lb to 170 in about 6-8 months.

Now I realize how big a mistake it was, but I'm still stuck with the consequences. I have gobs of excess skin all over. My arms are flabby, my thighs jiggle, and I've got that extra flap of stomach skin. So, I still have a bad self image, only now I think it's worse than it was when I was 315 lb. Now it's like, alright, I've lost weight, but my skin doesnt fit right, so now I look like an emaciated fat person.

I'm still terrified of gaining weight again. I try to exercise and eat right, but I end up binging and starving, working out constantly and being a couch potato. I can't find that happy medium. I want to get surgery done to remove the excess skin, because I think maybe then I won't feel as bad about the way I look, but I'm scared that I'll gain weight again, and then I'll just end up back where I started.

I guess I don't have any helpful advice, but I would definately appreciate some, if anyone knows how to help.

Jen308067
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Firming lotions, such as Vitamin E or Dove Firming Lotion with Seaweed extract seem to really help.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information