Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Weight Loss Questions * What do you think of my program? PLEASE HELP! < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

foosternit

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:46 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey everyone, just trying this out for the first time here-- seeing how it goes.
I am 20 years old and overweight-- I'm 5'7" and about 220lbs. This is something reletavly new to me, I have put this weight on (from high school when I was around 160lbs at the same height)in the past 2 years or so.
Now, like you all, I am trying to take it off, and I was wondering if anyone had any input on my program.
I've simply been running EVERY DAY probably around 3 miles in about 25-30 minutes. Also Ive been trying to stick to a decent diet: low calories and minimal fat... all that stuff.
My question is though, I've read a lot of fitness websites that say people of my weight shouldnt be running- especially distances like mine in the times that I'm doing. Everywhere I look says to start by walking 10 minutes or so or some garbage like that. But honestly I really dont feel like 10 minutes of walking will do anything for me.. I can do the run just fine, and while I'm REALLY tired at the end, I think it is within my means. I've been a pretty athletic person most of my life-- captian of the swim team and crew team in high school... maybe that has something to do with it? I dont want to hurt myself here, but I dont want to start off so slow that I get discouraged either, right?
What do you guys think I should do? I've been doing this for a week now- everyday running and eating well, and I feel pretty normal... or am I on the verge of hurting something?? Please help!

-F

Rosie

Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 01:39 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
Your program sounds fine...except all the running...you just started this routine and you definitely are looking forward to hurting yourself...and if you do you wont be able to get back to losing weight in a while....instead of running 3 miles walk them....walking is a great exercise it is very safe...and there is a minimal chance of getting hurt...or you can alternate...walk a few minutes, jog a few minutes, walk a few minutes and so on...running at this weight you can hurt your knees and ankles...now i weigh 203lbs...and i just starting slowly jogging...adding jogging twice a week...i have changed my lifestyle since March and all together i have lost 79lbs..i use to weigh 282lbs...and my routine at first was just walking and slowly i incorporated other exercises into my routine...really anything that keeps you moving through the day is great exercise(at first) but
after your body gets used to 'regular' activity it is time to add on...i dont know how much of this will help...but i am not an expert and i suggest you go see a doctor he or she will be specific what will be safe for your weight and height...we are all different and what might work for me might not work for you and vice versa...good luck all around and hope you find what works for you...look around and find websites with exercise and fitness information..they can really help and it does educate you...continue on with your new healthy lifestyle and everything will work out!!
Rosie

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 05:32 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check with your doctor...let him or her know how athletic you are...and your BP should tell them how "in-shape" you are for running. No one here can really give you a straight answer. Good Luck!

Barbra Nelson

Posted on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 05:16 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a personal trainer it is my responsibility to determine a couple of things before I recommend any exercise. If you have two or more risk factors such as heart attacks in your family, smoking, high blood pressure...then you should definitely double check with your doctor, but if your only problem is that you are overweight, then I would want to know how you could handle a step test. At 20 years old a man in excellent condition with a resting heart rate (count how many beets per minute before you lift your head off the pillow in the morning for 3 days and take the average. this is your resting heart rate) should have a post 3 minute step test heart rate between 70 and 78 if his resting heart rate is between 49-55. A woman of the same age with a resting heart rate between 54 and 60 should have a post 3 minute step test heart rate between 72 and 83. To take a step test either ask your local gym or your doctor, or try it at home with a 12" step, a stop watch and a metronome or music recorded at 96 bpm (beets per minute). prior to taking the test make sure you haven't had any non-prescription heart rate altering medicine, caffeine, exercise or a large meal. You should be rested. Locate your pulse at your wrist using your first two fingers - not your thumb - to make sure you know where it is. step for 3 minutes (stop if you feel ill or faint). At the end of the three minutes, find your pulse at your wrist (keep your wrist below your heart) within 5 seconds after you stop stepping. Take pulse for one minute. If you fall within the numbers I previously mentioned you are in excellent shape and unless bothered by bad knees or ankles, should be able to continue running. If you resting heart rate is in between 71-73 and your recovery heart rate (after the test) is 107-114, you are considered below average for a male. At 74-78 resting and 118-124 recovery for a woman, you are considered below average. At these numbers you may want to consider taking it slow. I highly recommend fast walking over running, and checking your pulse to see if you are more than 80% of your resting heart rate at any time during your workout. If you exceed 80% you are probably pushing too hard and should slow down until recovered before increasing intensity again. An interval workout is great for a beginner or someone getting back into working out.

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information