Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Weight Loss Questions * Weight loss Resulting in Hair Loss < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hairless But Healthy

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 01:15 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and maybe has an answer and a solution.

I have lost over 60 pounds in the last year, but have recently noticed in the past few months that my hair is comming out in large quantities. Now, I don't mean in clumps, or anything. What I mean is that every time I take a shower, there is far more hair on the bottom of the tub, then there use to be. And when I brush my hair after washing it, my brush has a lot of hair accumulated on it, as well as the shedding amount on the floor. Also, my husband has been finding a lot more "shedded" hair of mine around the house, more then usual.

The hair on my head doesn't appear to be thinning, and I don't look like I have any less hair, but the amount that is being found in the bathroom and around the house is far greater then it was when I was heavier.

I do take a daily complete multi-vitamin, and even though I've been dieting, I actually eat a more well rounded, balanced diet now, then I did before. I eat far more vegatables and fruits, complex carbs, and consume plenty of protiens and meats. I haven't eliminated any particular food group from my diet, either. Does anyone have any suggestions or answers?

Hairless But Healthy

robyn

Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 06:44 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe you are low on your essential fatty acids...poly and mono unsaturated fats, like in nuts, olive oil, fish, etc...also check your thyroid (get your doctor to check it for you).

~Robyn

Healthy But Hairless

Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 09:04 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know, you may be right. The one thing that I do eat less of now is fat. Maybe I've cut out too much. I do eat fish, but maybe not enough. And, I haven't eaten any nuts or oils at all, far too much fat content. I will look into adding some of those things back into my diet.

I didn't even think of thyroid. I thought there'd be far more symptoms for someone who had a thyroid problem, like swollen glands, or excessive thirst, or what ever. Do you know what the other symptoms would/could be?

Thank you for the info.

Healthy But Hairless

Robyn

Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 03:40 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Healthy But Hairless"-
I am hypothyroid, and I was diagnosed a while back, but I had no idea until a friend mentioned the possibility to me. I was just tired all the time, and had no appetite, yet I was gaining weight for no reason! AND my hair was getting really coarse, and started growing out straight, and I have naturally curly hair! So I got put on meds to help (I unfortunately must take them the rest of my life) and everything seems back to normal.
As for the fats, I eat fish once or twice a week, and use olive oil for cooking (only a drop for scrambled egg whites in the morning) and I usually have a handful of raw unsalted mixed nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews, and macadamias) in the afternoon a few times a week. Hope this helps!

~Robyn

Healthy But Hairless

Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 12:21 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robyn - Thank you. I will have to go see my doctor. I find myself feeling tired all the time, as well. However, I certainly do NOT have a lack of appetite. Just the opposite. How I managed to stick to a ridge eating structure is beyond me.

Fish, I do eat it, but not as often as once a week. I will make an attempt to add at least a portion of fish to my weekly routine.

As for the nuts, well - that sort of scares me. Most nuts being around 15 grams of fat (even if it is good fat) per serving, and just a teaspoon of olive oil can have up to 10 grams of fat in it. I'll have to think long and hard about that. I know that it's probably better for my health, but it almost feels like knowingly eating rat poison or something, after "swearing off" fat for so long. Man, to find a low fat nut?!?!?!?!

Yes, your info has been very helpful. Thank you very much. I will call my doctor.

Healthy But Hairless

Julie Moss

Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 04:27 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My doctor recently diagnosed me as being hypothyroid too. Since I have started taking leviothyroid I have notice my hair falling out in the tub and my neck getting thicker. What should I do?

Smi Shah
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 04:33 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi friends
I am underweight.Inspite of taking multi-vitamins etc my weight does not increase.I am tired all the time but worst of all my hair have started thinning a lot.
Please suggest .Is it related to my food habit ?
What should I do?

Add Your Message Here
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information