Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Health And Fitness Forums * Weight Loss Questions * Confused VEGAN < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 06:11 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I have began gaining weight after I quit smoking for 13 years. In 6 months I have added an extra 40 pounds to my carcas. I cannot find the right diet for myself as I am a vegan and have limited choices. I already eat healthy and do yoga and pilates. I am confused. Can anyone help me???

Robert Clive

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 05:09 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why are you a vegan? It is an unhealthy and unnatural diet. Vegans eat too many carbohydrates and are often too fat. The human being evolved as a hunter gatherer - we were designed to eat meat and what veggies and fruit we could find.

I respectfully suggest you examine your motives. I used to be a vegitarian but now I am on a low carbohydrate, meat eating diet I have lost 40 pounds.

Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 11:44 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any imbalance is going to create disorder in the body. So if you can't change your vegan way of eating you are best to be sure to incorporate 40% raw fruits and veggies into your diet along with fresh juicing as this will give you some wonderful benefits. There is a really great book called "Raw Juices Can Save Your Life"

Please remember that this comment about the hunter-gatherer theory is just that a theory! Don't use this to make a decision as no one has prooved evolution.

I do feel that since man has been eating meat for a very long time we have adapted to eating it and therefore it isn't bad for us if we eat organic or free range meats that are fresh and lean. But like all the nutritionist say if you are eliminating meat as a protein source you have to get protiens from other sources as well as taking vitamin supplements.

You may be eating too many carbs or the wrong kinds... be sure to limit refined sugars and flours in the foods you eat going for a whole food approach would be good.... I suggest you read some books (I already mentioned the juice one) by dr. Sandra Cabot - The Liver Cleansing Diet and The Healthy Liver and Bowel book give some excellant advice that can really fit into your vegan lifestyle.

Hope you can find what's right for you.

Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 10:07 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this post is a little late but I have to disagree with the last posters- being a vegan is very healthy as long as you get adequate amounts of protein, etc., as I'm sure you know. As an anthropologist, I also had to laugh at the hunter-gatherer suggestion... even present day hunter-gatherer societies eat very little meat, and certainly not on a daily basis- I don't think starting to eat meat will help you lose weight. Are you sure you aren't eating more as a reaction to quiting smoking? I think this tends to happen since smoking is so hard to give up. Also, limiting calories tends to work against you in the long run since your body will try to fight it- I'd suggest changing your work-outs, since it will be harder and burn more calories if you try something new once and a while. Just my two cents! Good luck!

Kat McCarthy
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 05:07 am:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a vegan too!!!

And if you study the matter a bit more than you already have you&#8217;ll find out that it&#8217;s one of the healthier diets upon the face of earth.
And Robert, we WERE hunters! We were also living in caves. ( If you read this and still insist on being a &#8216;proper&#8217; dieter, then you obviously have mental issues) It&#8217;s inane that we actually kill animals still when there are so many alternatives.

First off! There is soy. And mushrooms =the vegetable considered to be the vegetarians &#8220;meat&#8221;.
You can make pies. Or Mexican. The sky is the limit. There are soy hot dogs, veggie burgers. Not a single thing you were eating before you can&#8217;t eat now. It&#8217;s merely in a different form. The healthier kind.

Lentils, beans, all legumes. Nuts. Lovely crunchy salads, or others with eggplants- zucchini-mushroom-red, yellow, orange, green peppers- green beans.. imagination.. all done in the oven with olive oil onion basil and tomatoes. Voila!

There are many vegan recipes, light on fat and carbohydrate on Google.. books.
The only trouble with this way of eating is that you have to be a nutrition expert. On vitamins and all.
Spinach and broccoli are massively good sources of iron and calcium. Actually.. broccoli contains 5 TIMES the calcium that milk does.

Good luck, and keep it up!

Trilesca DiRanieri
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 11:09 pm:   View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

but kat

all protien that come from plants are "incomplete" protiens- that means that they are missing essential amino acids- which means they're of little use of the body, so they usually get used up for energy like carbohydrates. So the protien in plants is virtualy useless. sorry.

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Options: Enable HTML code in message

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Bodybuilding Supplements Low Carb Diet Fitness Software Health Information Diet Pill Reviews Weight Loss Supplement Calories and Fat Supplement TGNC Search Engine Dieting Information